Hacking Soft reset, compression & charging questions

midget35

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please let me know! Links to reference sources are very welcomed!

I've thuroughly scanned the archives and haven't found satisfactory answers, so please don't flame me unnecesarily!

Compression:
1. what is the average % compression for a game that can be achieved with the G6?
2. Can compressing the rom stop a game from working correctly?

3. Can copying a game to the G6 with 'soft reset' enabled stop a game from working correctly?
4. Once and for all!- Does the G6 save instantly to the cart, or is it temporarily stored before next load?
5. Once and for all!- Does the G6 need to be charged on the usb (even for a one-off), or does it charge enough in the ndsl? Should it thereafter be charged weekly, monthly, or never?

G6 & superkey
6. Slightly off-topic- does the superkey drain a lot of battery when in sleep mode?

Thanks a lot for your answers guys- please only respond if you're quite sure of waht you're saying!

NB. I accidentaly posted this topic in the gba flash forum java script:emoticon(':shy:')
smilie. Please delete it- sorry!

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
3. Can copying a game to the G6 with 'soft reset' enabled stop a game from working correctly?
Yes, on some games.
QUOTE(midget35 @ Aug 10 2006, 03:37 PM)4. Once and for all!- Does the G6 save instantly to the cart, or is it temporarily stored before next load?
It saves to G6 SRAM temporarily, which is kept alive by the G6 battery. Next time you boot the G6 it will copy it to flash memory (the memory that you see when you insert the G6 into a PC), which is 'safe' as it doesn't need a battery.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
1. what is the average % compression for a game that can be achieved with the G6?
That varies from title to title. There is no real average per se.

2. Can compressing the rom stop a game from working correctly?
There are claims that using a trimmed ROM for local wireless can have issues. Rule of thumb, never trim if you plan on doing so. Otherwise, no, there is no issues for single player or WFC play.

Yes, not all games support this as of yet, though a majority indeed can.

4. Once and for all!- Does the G6 save instantly to the cart, or is it temporarily stored before next load?
It is stored onboard until you turn the unit off and on again, or using soft reset, press Select and choose SRAM->Default after returning to the G6 DS Menu.

5. Once and for all!- Does the G6 need to be charged on the usb (even for a one-off), or does it charge enough in the ndsl? Should it thereafter be charged weekly, monthly, or never?
Honestly, I have no clue. I haven't charged my G6 Lite that I'm aware of, and I still have 4 bars on mine after a couple of weeks. For most flash cards, the battery is not rechargable and has a lifespan of 2 or more years. If G6 Lite is truly recharable, then it's either the GBA Slot in the DS while it charges or on the UBurner plugged into a USB port. Try both.

6. Slightly off-topic- does the superkey drain a lot of battery when in sleep mode?
About 5% or less of the total runtime. Qrayzie is conducting tests on this here at GBATemp. If you want an exact answer, then stay tuned for his results soon.

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I have no clue. I haven't charged my G6 Lite that I'm aware of, and I still have 4 bars on mine after a couple of weeks. For most flash cards, the battery is not rechargable and has a lifespan of 2 or more years. If G6 Lite is truly recharable, then it's either the GBA Slot in the DS while it charges or on the UBurner plugged into a USB port. Try both.

The battery gauge on the G6 menu displays the status of the NDS battery, not the G6Lite battery. From what I've seen it functions like the red light on the DS - it just displays the '4 bars' until the red light comes on when it switches to a 'charger plug' icon. Not very useful in it's current state.

According to 'Danny' at G6Flash.com the G6Lite battery is being charged while it's in use in the NDS or when it's plugged into the UDisk/USB.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I have no clue.  I haven't charged my G6 Lite that I'm aware of, and I still have 4 bars on mine after a couple of weeks.  For most flash cards, the battery is not rechargable and has a lifespan of 2 or more years.  If G6 Lite is truly recharable, then it's either the GBA Slot in the DS while it charges or on the UBurner plugged into a USB port.  Try both.

The battery gauge on the G6 menu displays the status of the NDS battery, not the G6Lite battery. From what I've seen it functions like the red light on the DS - it just displays the '4 bars' until the red light comes on when it switches to a 'charger plug' icon. Not very useful in it's current state.

According to 'Danny' at G6Flash.com the G6Lite battery is being charged while it's in use in the NDS or when it's plugged into the UDisk/USB.

I find you to be incorrect. The battery gauge does not show the DS battery. I had my battery light go red, and when I brought it to the DS menu, it was still 4 bars. If you're right, then this function is definitely not accurate. I'll e-mail Danny about this to get the matter cleared up.

rendil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I find you to be incorrect. The battery gauge does not show the DS battery. I had my battery light go red, and when I brought it to the DS menu, it was still 4 bars. If you're right, then this function is definitely not accurate. I'll e-mail Danny about this to get the matter cleared up.

For what it's worth, these were my observations while troubleshooting my battery (see my topic):
1. My battery indicator always showed 2 out of 4 bars
2. I charged the G6 Lite in the USB Burner overnight, and did not charge my DS Lite
3. In the morning, I put the G6 Lite back in and the indicator now shows 4 out of 4 bars

(of course my battery doesn't seem to be working properly, so who knows if this is standard behavior)

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I find you to be incorrect. The battery gauge does not show the DS battery. I had my battery light go red, and when I brought it to the DS menu, it was still 4 bars. If you're right, then this function is definitely not accurate. I'll e-mail Danny about this to get the matter cleared up.

OK. I probably posted without enough observation. My battery meter has always been at 4 bars. I made an assumption that it was monitoring the NDS battery since I'm sure I saw a charger cord icon when my red light came on. I'll observe some more before posting again, and of course watch for Danny's reply.

unsure.gif

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK. I probably posted without enough observation. My battery meter has always been at 4 bars. I made an assumption that it was monitoring the NDS battery since I'm sure I saw a charger cord icon when my red light came on. I'll observe some more before posting again, and of course watch for Danny's reply.
I had this same experience. It's always 4 bars, and last night when I got my red light I reset to the menu and the meter was now empty and had the cord icon. I then assumed the meter was displaying the DS's battery power.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: