ShopTemp's Kingston Taiwan cards are legit

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Hello,

there were some concerns regarding the Kingston Taiwan cards that people received from ShopTemp!
some people jumped to conclusion and thought those were fake ones... well they're not.

I have asked a series of questions to the ShopTemp manager & product purchaser.
Here are the questions and direct answers:

1. Where do the carts come from ?
The Kingston carts are from Kingston Taiwan ( http://www.kingston.com/taiwan/flashmemory/default.asp )
They are imported from Taiwan to Hong-Kong, then from Hong-Kong to ShenZhen.

2. Why is the serial number not correct?
The cart is imported from Taiwan to Hong-Kong, and then from Hong-Kong to Shenzhen.
Because Kingston is a well-known and recognized brand, importing those cards results in very high import taxes.
The solution that the retailers have found to avoid taxes (the retailer = whoever sells those cards to ShopTemp in the first place) is to remove any original packaging/labelling before importing. When the card is safe and arrives on site on the market, they put the microSD card back into some new packaging. But you still get the real card anyway. Whatever number you may find is not

3. Why does the packaging not look good/original ?
For all the reasons mentionned above.

4. I found the same cards on other sites...
The *exact* same cards, purchased from the same marketplace, same retailers, can be found on many websites. Quoting a few:
0shippingzone.com, gamezway.com, ishopvideogame.com, gameyeeeah.com, extremejeux.com, r4ds-ds.com, r4ds-r4i.com, dealextreme (for the legit ones, we believe they also sell fakes), ....... All those shops sell the carts purchased on the Shenzhen market. These are not fakes, these are actual Kingston Taiwan cards. But we don't know if those shops are completely honest. Read next section.

5. I still think it's fake!
The card retailers perfectly know that there are fake and legit cards, because they sell both. When ShopTemp purchasers buy stock, they are asked to make a choice: do they want to buy legit cards or fake cards?
- 2GB fake Kingston cards' cost price is quite lesser than the official ones (it varies).
- 2GB legit Kingston cards' cost price is over $5 (and they sell it for $8 or $7 when bundled with a flashcart. If a shop sells those for less than $5 or $6, these must be fake. Although shops can get a discount price for bulk purchases, for like 1000pcs at a time).
There is absolutely no doubt that ShopTemp purchases the legit ones. The difference between the fake and the legit ones is more than obvious.
I have requested to see an invoice from the retailers to show definitive proof. They said they will make sure to get an invoice next time they buy stock, and they will also be purchasing 1x fake card just to show you the ridiculously low cost price. I will post the invoice just here to show everyone.

6. Why did it originally say 'Kingston Japan' ?
It is sometimes possible to get stock of japanese Kingston cards, but they can't have that all the time. It's already sold out most of the time.
If someone has a link for legit taiwan cards vs legit japanese cards comparison, I'll post it here so that people can be made aware of the difference.
But the most important anyway is the SDHC class; ShopTemp sells microSDHC class 2 and 4 cards. Again it depends on stock, sometimes retailers run out of class 4 cards. The information found on the product description page is accurate and updated as they get new stock.

7. I definitely received a fake. The transfer rate is awful.
Sadly 0% defect rate is impossible, there can be several reasons why YOUR particular card is not satisfying:
- your card might just be defective, that happens.
- when purchasing large stock from retailers (ShopTemp usually buys 500pcs at a time) retailers will not hesitate to slip in some fake cards to reduce their costs... that's really dishonest from them and particularly annoying for shops which then get complaints from customers.
- the included microSD card readers is not always top quality, to say the least.
If you do receive a fake (again chances of that happening are extremely low), you can obviously contact the support to get a refund or exchange.

So anyway, jumping to conclusions is bad, especially when you are not on site to back up your claims
smile.gif

Better be completely sure before you accuse someone if you don't want to look like an idiot afterwards.
wink.gif

The 3 GBAtemp admins (Shaun, Ace and myself) have worked hard to find a completely reliable partner, they are really serious about it and our partnership includes a very important clause: to make business with GBAtemp the condition is that they must sell 100% legit products. No flashcart fakes, no memory card fakes, etc. .

edit: here is an invoice from this afternoon http://gbatemp.net/up/Img_2287.jpg
with details & rough translations... they bought 1 fake card to show the difference.

Any more questions, feel free to ask and I will pass on the demand.

Thanks!

nycsam786

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am sure they would not sell fake ones especially since they said they will provide proof of purchase in the future and well as taking the time to answer all your questions.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=918#comment-512017
QUOTE said:
It is well-known to many (including me) that Kingston is not a semiconductor manufacturer, in that they own no fabs, hence my overly-brief conclusion seems a platitude. However, simply not owning a fab doesn’t mean that you don’t “make chips”, or you don’t collaborate closely with a fab. nVidia owns no fab but is casually referred to as “making chips” with their logo on it; few bother with the tongue-twister of “the chip fabricated by TSMC containing nVidia IP” in favor of “the chip made by nVidia”.

So generally anything involving kingston is ripe with misunderstandings.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Still, that does pose problems. Legit Kingston cards have a lifetime guarantee. Whatever you got the card from, you can just send it to Kingston if it's broken and they'll send you a new one. To do that, you first need to go to their website and input the number.

This explanation shouldn't be on GBAtemp, it should be on ShopTemp. You can't sell a legit card with a fake registration number as a legit card. Also, it's impossible to check if these are really legit; the number that can prove if a card it legit doesn't match.
Costello said:
But the most important anyway is the SDHC class; ShopTemp sells microSDHC class 2 and 4 cards. Again it depends on stock, sometimes retailers run out of class 4 cards. The information found on the product description page is accurate and updated as they get new stock.
That's just not true. SDHC classes are for write speeds. When people buy (Japanese) Kingston cards, they do so because the random access times and read speeds of these cards are good. Class has nothing to do with that.

I appreciate it that you try to get the best prices and legit cards, but I won't be using ShopTemp to buy SD cards!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I have updated the original post, included a bill
smile.gif

still answering some concerns.

Maikel Steneker: Class is definitely important because it guarantees a minimum read&write speeds. Why do you think everyone wants to get higher class SDHC cards and everyones asking to know the class? Would they ask if it werent important?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
Maikel Steneker: Class is definitely important because it guarantees a minimum read&write speeds.
Odd, unofficial documentation (such as wikipedia) all says class only affect write speed, but the official documentation doesn't say whether it's just one, or both.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
xcdjy said:
So Point 7 says that we can basically still receive fakes from ShopTemp.
Obviously not ShopTemp themselves, but...
Is there no way they can filter out the fakes and simply discard them?
If I'm paying the price for a legit card, I don't want it to be fake.
there's a difference between "we can" and "its extremely unlikely that we might" ...
biggrin.gif

and to answer that question, I amended the FAQ stating that if you receive a fake, obviously you will get a refund or will be able to exchange your card.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
Am I reading this correctly, that if you order a microSDHC class 4 you may in fact receive a class 2 instead (presumably at the same price)?

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dark^'^Knight said:
Costello said:
Am I reading this correctly, that if you order a microSDHC class 4 you may in fact receive a class 2 instead (presumably at the same price)?

Remember that stock is often unboxed and the print on a small microSD is tiny.
I've once accidentally received a Class 2 card when I bought a Class 6.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
RupeeClock said:

There is absolutely no excuse for not receiving what you paid for.

Unfortunately with these Chinese shops, it seems that all you get is a constant litany of excuses with few actual solutions.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lilsypha said:
RupeeClock said:

There is absolutely no excuse for not receiving what you paid for.

Unfortunately with these Chinese shops, it seems that all you get is a constant litany of excuses with few actual solutions.
I agree, although this blunder was no chinese shop, don't remember what shop though.
In any case, it really was an accidental shipment, in the end they didn't have any Class 6 units in stock, so I sent my Class 2 back to them and got a refund.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Dark^'^Knight said:
Costello said:

No, you did not read correctly
*copy/pastes*
The information found on the product description page is accurate and updated as they get new stock.
which means if you order a class 4, you get a class 4.
if you order a class 2, you get a class 2...

and RupeeClock, IMO that shop should give you a refund or exchange your card, that's unacceptable....
the difference between class 6 and class 2 is quite important.

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RupeeClock said:
Sounds pretty reliable.
smile.gif

As with all these flashcart stores though, it's usually best to buy memory elsewhere, so that you can get the best performance you need.
Bundled memory is usually supplementary.

I just bought two of these Samsung Plus 8GB SDHC (Class 6), I'll let you know how they turn out.
Apart from the colour (would obviously prefer black to match my flashcarts and the DS slot), these look interesting and the price looks pretty damn good. I found the same ones listed on a diff site that deliver to Oz, but the price is approx AU$58 compared to your pricing of approx AU$27 = huge difference!
Anyone know of a site that will deliver to Oz?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I've heard of those SAMSUNG ones, I told ShopTemp to try and look if they can find these
smile.gif

they will definitely be more expensive than the Kingston/Sandisk ones though.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
I've heard of those SAMSUNG ones, I told ShopTemp to try and look if they can find these
smile.gif

Well it does look to be an excellent microSD for getting the best performance out of any flashcart.
smile.gif

Oh, except R4s, they don't do SDHC, LOL.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
Costello said:
smile.gif

Well it does look to be an excellent microSD for getting the best performance out of any flashcart.
smile.gif

Oh, except R4s, they don't do SDHC, LOL.
I brought a 2GB non HC version from Sainsbury. They were half price. Works well in the old R4.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol