Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have a 4.2U Wii with a WiiKey v1. My uncle decided to buy an upgrade for his Wiikey v1 and thought I might like one too. So we're both getting WiiKey 2's. When NSMB came out, obviously it wasn't naturally supported by a WiiKey v1, I had to softmod it. Now before I send it back to him, I want to rid the Wii of any softmod files/ data. I installed certain IOS's to get the game to run through Disc Channel.

I'm planning on using this guide. If I follow this guide exactly and don't do anything stupid, I should be okay right? I did not use Priiloader only BootMii as a boot2 & StartPatch along with other harmless apps.

This says that NandClean will ask me to delete the System Menu App (since it had to do with StartPatch). So before I do that, the guide says I should reinstall the system menu so that when I run NandClean to clean StartPatch hacks, I won't get bricked. Is that correct?

Thank you so much in advance. Please don't ask why I'm doing this, I just prefer hardmods and being able to download new firmware updates with ease.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You only need the nandclean if you have preloader/priiloader hacks in your Wii,like block disc updates,region free etc. at least from what I understood

well nevermind

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
You only need the nandclean if you have preloader/priiloader hacks in your Wii,like block disc updates,region free etc. at least from what I understood
Hmmm okay. Thanks!

QUOTE(lolzed @ Feb 19 2010, 08:16 PM) But if you do have system hacks,then uninstall SM and install,don't go out of WADManager(or whatever you using to uninstall)
Ohhhhh I've heard you shouldn't do that but I guess if I don't exit out of WAD Manager I should be fine.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jonjon95 said:
lolzed said:
Hmmmmm well the guide says this:

QUOTE said:
5. If you're done, you will have a clean System menu 4.2, without cIOSCorp and preloader/startpatch. But we still need to uninstall the preloader hacks
* To do this, run NandClean

I guess you're right since the StartPatch hacks are probably stored on the System Menu itself (Just a guess) which I reinstall in Step 2. The only reason I asked is because WiiBrew says StartPatch writes to the Nand. I'm a semi-noob at this so thanks.

QUOTE(lolzed @ Feb 19 2010, 08:16 PM)
But if you do have system hacks,then uninstall SM and install,don't go out of WADManager(or whatever you using to uninstall)
Ohhhhh I've heard you shouldn't do that but I guess if I don't exit out of WAD Manager I should be fine.
it IS placed in the NAND,which is why if you have hacks,you run the NANDCleaner,if you don't have any hacks whatsoever,you don't need to

edit:why bother erasing the softmod?not asking why you don't want the softmod,since you can have both the softmod AND the hardmod anyways.If you don't want HBC then just install Bootmii and make a backup just in case

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
it IS placed in the NAND,which is why if you have hacks,you run the NANDCleaner,if you don't have any hacks whatsoever,you don't need to

edit:why bother erasing the softmod?not asking why you don't want the softmod,since you can have both the softmod AND the hardmod anyways.If you don't want HBC then just install Bootmii and make a backup just in case

Yes I did install hacks but then I uninstalled them with StartPatch which is prolly NOT enough. So I will run NandClean to remove them. Thanks for the clarification. I should be good to go.

I don't know exactly what it is about software hacks. I just don't like them. I prefer hardware mods as I said above.

wes11ph said:
if you have pre/priiloader better unsinstall it first (using priiloader)
use anytitle deleter, delete any cios ( don't delete official IOS)
delete channels from the data management menu
QUOTE(jonjon95 @ Feb 19 2010, 08:13 PM)
I did not use Priiloader only BootMii as a boot2 & StartPatch along with other harmless apps.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lolzed said:
But if you do have system hacks,then uninstall SM and install,don't go out of WADManager(or whatever you using to uninstall)
This will brick your wii, even if immediately reinstalled. Uninstalling the SM deletes setting.txt, among other things that hide in the SM title folders. If you need to repair or restore the menu, reinstall it OVER TOP of the existing one, without removing it first.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
techboy said:
lolzed said:
This will brick your wii, even if immediately reinstalled. Uninstalling the SM deletes setting.txt, among other things that hide in the SM title folders. If you need to repair or restore the menu, reinstall it OVER TOP of the existing one, without removing it first.
That's what I thought, thank you for clarifying.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jonjon95 said:
techboy said:
lolzed said:
That's what I thought, thank you for clarifying.
smile.gif

Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it.
mmm sorry about that,maybe I was talking about the SM IOS?I recall something about WADManager and SM and IOS,and it was a while back,so can someone remind me if IOS uninstalling is safe if you install it afterwards without exiting

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just delete any channels through data management should be just HBC, he will never even know you got a cIOS on there. you may need it again in the future. i guarantee it will not harm anything to leave cIOS38 on there.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
VashTS said:
just delete any channels through data management should be just HBC, he will never even know you got a cIOS on there. you may need it again in the future. i guarantee it will not harm anything to leave cIOS38 on there.
Not worried about him just want to be able to update through Nintendo with ease and peace of mind.

Thanks everybody.

Hakoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Um not to alert anyone. But I just finished doing part of my reviginization. I reinstalled all IOS's & the System Menu. I did NOT uninstall any IOS's or system menus. I loaded NSMB through Neogamma since I reinstalled the IOS's needed to run it in Disc Channel. I shut off after it loaded correctly. Ran NandClean but i couldn't find any files to clean since they were all Priiloader related. When it asked me to delete system menu app i hit B which did NOT erase it. Restarted Wii and i got:

The System files are corrupt. Please refer to you wii guide or something like that. Luckily HBC is still on and so is BootMii as a boot2. Is my Wii fixable? Please help me...

EDIT: Copied my BootMii files back onto my SD Card. Booted and ran Recovery mode. Its still in simulation mode as we speak but the scanner says this: "BootMii found in Boot2" which means the reinstallation of the system menu did not overwrite the boot2. I think that's good news...

EDIT2: Holy fuck. Who ever invented BootMii.... I needa kiss their head. That was pure genius. Wii is back to the way things were, system menu is intact. That was an invigorating experience. Popped in my NSMB Disc after the restore, got the same message when the Wii tried to mount the disc. Ejected and rebooted, everythigng was fine. Popped in another backup, Mario kart Wii, it played fine. Tried to run StartPatch. Got a blank screen which means cIOS38 had not been installed yet so StartPatch never existed. Now to continue on with the revirginization.

EDIT3: Revirginization complete. When I went to reinstall all the IOS's along with SM 4.2U, I did NOT install SM 4.2U due to the fear that it would corrupt the menu again. I did NOT run NandClean. I deleted IOS 202/203/222/249/250 using ATD Mod v6b. I uninstalled HBC & DVDX using the HackMii Installer & BannerBomb but left BootMii just in case ;D. Thank you everyone once again. Tempers, you rock.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1