Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Aussie NSMB Wii pirate suffers $AU1.5 million fine
original game leaker taken to court
newsupermariobroswii.jpg

The individual responsible for leaking New Super Mario Bros Wii to the internet was handed a $AU1.5 million fine in an out-of-court settlement with Nintendo.

Nintendo Australia says they pursued the settlement to protect the creative rights and innovation of game developers and to combat the growing international problem of Internet piracy.

Nintendo says the hefty fine was handed down to "compensate Nintendo for the loss of sales revenue caused by the individual's actions."

The game was first leaked on 6 November, 2009, a week prior to its official release in Australia.

"Upon the game being uploaded to the Internet, Nintendo was able to employ the use of sophisticated technological forensics to identify the individual responsible for illegally copying the file and making it available for further distribution," a Nintendo press release says.

"On 23 November, 2009, Nintendo obtained a Federal Court search order in respect of the individual's residential premises. This led to the seizure of property from those premises in order to gain further evidence against the individual."

The individual slapped with the fine was a GBAtemp regular. We would like to remind all members it is generally not a good idea to post images of yourself with an early release, a receipt with your details and store name on it, and then brag about uploading the game. If you want to play a game, then buy it and do not share it.

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Discuss

Reactions: NightScript

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Damn that sucks... 1.5Million fine. Good luck paying that. Probably will have to sell crack to pay off that debt lolz. But really Nintendo...""compensate Nintendo for the loss of sales revenue caused by the individual's actions". Your rich enough lol.

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DeMoN said:
That sucks, but this is a risk that all release groups take in order to bring joy to our lives.

That is quite a crappy risk if you ask me. But still, who am I to say that. They take the risk to make us happy and I'm always eager to get games before the due date.(not every time)

D

Deleted User

Personally, I find the whole compensation thing complete bullshit. Don't get me wrong, I am against piracy, but once the software is already made, it costs the publisher just a few cents to make a single disc. There is little loss of profit, considering they make about 1000% profit on every game sold. I understand them targeting distributors, but the only fair punishment should be 100 hours of community service (if no monetary gain) or 5 years in prison (if monetary gain).

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Note to all GBAtemp members. Don't do THIS

It could cost you $1.5 million

Generally it's not a good idea to post images of you with an early release, a receipt with your details and store name on it, and then brag about uploading the game. These are very general no-no's.

If you want to play the game, buy it.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
damn looks like we won't be seeing kongnutz here for a long time
and technically it was tricky dicky for leaking the game early
laugh.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DKAngel said:
ahahah epic fail =]
No, it's not funny. News like this scares other dumpers.
QUOTE(Sc4rFac3d @ Feb 8 2010, 08:21 PM) He got caught via GBAtemp? Wow
We don't even know for sure who it is yet, so this is a stretchy claim.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to have this as front page news. Just another person getting caught for piracy. But I will say that the fine is just plain ridiculous.

MeleeMaster500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while i really doubt a software pirate would be able to pay an outrageous amount like that (unless he's making a profit off of it /s) I do think that it definitely affected the sales of NSMB when people could get a pirated version a week earlier. although that would be an oversight if a leak of another regions version was charged for affecting the sales of regions that did not have it yet...

the lost sales were the amount of pirates that would have bought that game had the leak been later, and have not supported the game's release. and piracy is ultimately nintendo's fault in the first place for having an exploit and not fixing it when the hackers gave them the opportunity to.

if nintendo wanted to stop piracy of a game, they could try better anti piracy methods to at least delay its leak.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Brian117 said:
No need to have this as front page news. Just another person getting caught for piracy. But I will say that the fine is just plain ridiculous.

I consider it newsworthy a GBAtemp member was fined $1.5 milllion.

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Opium said:
Brian117 said:

I consider it newsworthy a GBAtemp member was fined $1.5 milllion.

Oh, he was a member? Holy shit...
ohmy.gif

How do you know for sure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk