Hacking Acekard 2.1 freezes when writing .sav file

By PoLOr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My new Acekard 2.1 seems to have some issues. I have a Ds Lite, I'm kinda new to this and wanted to consolidate all the games I own. I'm pretty sure I set it up correctly. I tried the official firmware ver. 4.21 and the Akaio 1.5.1. It loads up fine with either, and backup games are all present. However any time I attempt to write a save file it usually freezes up. On my pc it shows a .sav file is created. Rarely it will actually finish saving but when I try to access them at a latter time they come up as "corrupted files" that must be deleted. Frustrating! I've tried older firmware versions,and formatting my 1gb sandisk sd card. I also tried formatting my 8gb sandisk micro sdhc card from my phone same issue. On both cards I was sure to leave plenty of space for save files.

Before posting this I searched as much as possible and I apologize if there is something simple I have overlooked or that has already been addressed. I purchased the Acekard from deal extreme and It doesn't appear to be a fake. I also purchased a 4gb kingston micro sdhc card which hasn't arrived yet that I was planning to try and see if maybe it was an issue with sandisk brand. Does anyone know of something else I can try or if I should try to make an exchange for another kard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

By PoLOr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx very much for such a quick reply. I was using the format option from windows 7. I tried to use this panosonic version on my 1 gb sandisk and check out a few games still same issue. I'll try the 8gb. Is there certain settings I should use like full format (which is what I did) or fat16 or fat32 I think I used just fat.

By PoLOr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I tried formatting my 8gb sdhc card today with the panosonic program still no luck. Same issue. Is it possible my Acekard is defective? If so should I contact deal extreme .com or the acekard company, and should I try to exchange it for another of the same type or is there a superior brand i should get instead. I would prefer If there was something I could do to make it work maybe you or someone knows something else I could try?

Siege42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having the exact same problem. With the exception of Castlevania: DoS all games crash at initial save (before start of game) Then upon loading DoS it doesn't list the save although it is on the cart and menu. I have a DS Lite, Acekard 2.1 and a Kingston 2gb miscroSD all new.

I've used Panasonic SD Formatter. Tried both Acekard's latest firmware as well as Akaio 1.5 (with latest loader in LOADERS folder. Yes, I completely formatted between firmwares. Only files in ROOT were akmenu4.nds and AIO and GAMES folders. Furthermore all games are in their own subfolders within GAMES. I have about 800 mbs free space on microSD. I'll try a diff microSD tomorrow (don't have an extra available at the moment.)

I've heard nothing but good things about the Acekard carts which is why I chose it but unless I'm missing something very obvious I think I received a defective cart. I also got mine from DealExtreme. Possibly a bad batch of carts? I don't believe it to be a clone since Akaio 1.5 allegedly doesn't work with clone carts. If anyone has any insight please reply.

Found this thread through Google and just realized it's on wrong forum. Delete my post if needed. Thanks.

doglobster

Trophies
XP
Country
Exactly the same issue with me too.

I'm using a brand new AceKard 2, with an 8gb Kingston MicroSDHC card. And I'm formatting it via Windows 7 32-bit.

Either a bad batch of AceKards or possibly a Windows 7 issue?

Siege42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm running Vista, so no, it doesn't seem to be isolated to Windows 7.

Also DealExtreme has a thread on this issue. Someone says they fixed theirs with Akaio 1.5 and new loader but as I said above this didn't work for me. Try it if you haven't. Hopefully you have more luck than I did.

doglobster

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I got a bit further with Akaio 1.5.1 and the new loader, in that it will actually create the save game now and allow me to play the game.

However, when I shutdown and re-enter the game (any game) it either tells me the save file is corrupt or acts like it's on first time play.

cogitech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There are already several threads on this and it seems that more and more of these bad AK2s are showing up on people's doorsteps. I tried 3 of them recently and they were all bad (1 wouldn't even boot any firmware and 2 would not save). I got rid of them and replaced them with different brand of cart.

Lizz0784

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been having the same issue. This is also discussed in this post http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=200819.

No one can seem to find an answer. I can get all games to play but the game wont load the .sav. I ordered myself a new acekard 2i from https://www.realhotstuff.com/ (USA) store and sending my Acekard 2.1 back to dealextreme for replacement. You have to pay to ship it. If you're in the usa that's about $13-14 for a usps flat rate envelope. They say they'll reimburse you for it.

Most likely it is a bad batch of acekards as all the issues are happening to recent acekard 2.1 buyers who ordered from deal extreme. =D

f1error

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ditto on the issue, but I get my card from MyGamingMart.com I sent them an email on Monday but I have yet to hear back from them.

Lizz0784

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to send mine back but they require a picture. I don't have a camera O.o; Does anyone have a pic of the game not loading or something I can use?

cogitech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
f1error said:
Ditto on the issue, but I get my card from MyGamingMart.com I sent them an email on Monday but I have yet to hear back from them.

I drove them back to Monty's house (mygamingmart.com) and picked up 3 DSTTs as replacements. He was perplexed about the issues I was having and probably assumed I was a dumb fuck, but he had no issues taking the AK2.1 carts back.

The DSTTs are awesome, BTW.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Lizz0784 @ Jan 7 2010, 08:04 PM) I'm trying to send mine back but they require a picture. I don't have a camera O.o; Does anyone have a pic of the game not loading or something I can use?

Send them the link to this forum and other forums were people are bitching about it.

f1error

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Driving to Monty's would be quite the road trip for me, so that's not an option.
smile.gif

cogitech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
f1error said:
Driving to Monty's would be quite the road trip for me, so that's not an option.
smile.gif

When I met with him, he said I should always call him if I needed quick attention to an issue, because his e-mail inbox is always full of stuff.

I am thinking of calling him tonight to let him know that the AK2.1s are in fact defective and point him to these threads. Hopefully he can stop selling them and notify AceKard about the issue.

If you want his phone number, I can PM it to you later tonight.

f1error

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 5 or 10 min call to Canada with my phone rates would cost more than buying a new acekard when this issue is resolved.
I do have to wonder if it's not a weird software bug, since downgrading the loaders works a bit. This is still in the early days of debugging, and I for one am not ready to say for certain it's hardware or software. Someone might still come up with a work around, or normmatt & co might do a patch.

I do have to say that not paying attention to email is something that I didn't expect from mygamingmart.com I ordered from there because I heard such good things about them. I'll just have to keep an eye on my inbox, and hope for the best.
I get hundreds of emails a day myself (thousands during odd times of the year) and I can keep up.

By PoLOr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanx all for your replies I'm glad to at least know I'm not the only one having this issue. I was beginning to think I was just an idiot ( which may still prove to be true ). I guess I will just keep looking around for some one to solve it or try to get a replacement.

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
fyi, i just received my ak2.1 from dealextreme today(ordered about a month ago) and its working w/o any problems, but my old reliable acekard rpg has been having some save problems since i updated to akaio 1.5.1, im still looking into that issue myself

By PoLOr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay thanks for that info. That's interesting, please keep me posted if you figure that out. However I tried many versions of both Akaio and the official firmware I think the general consensus is there is a bad batch of acekard 2.1's out there most coming from deal extreme. It is good to know that the one you received is working properly. Hopefully they have phased that batch out, and I am hoping that my replacement will be without problems.

cogitech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DaMummy said:
fyi, i just received my ak2.1 from dealextreme today(ordered about a month ago) and its working w/o any problems, but my old reliable acekard rpg has been having some save problems since i updated to akaio 1.5.1, im still looking into that issue myself

Apparently you got one shipped before the bad batch hit the supply chain. Lucky you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    He is now fishy.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sak is a fishy pineapple
    Have a good night everyone.
    i'm getting sleepy.
    So much drinking from @K3Nv2
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    Veho @ Veho: California has already banned those additives BTW.