Trophies
XP
Country
~Here is the simplest way to hack NSMBW and possibly other wii games!~

What you need:

Hex Workshop ~ http://www.hexworkshop.com/
BrawlBox ~ http://brawltools.googlecode.com/files/BrawlBox v0.59.zip
Photoshop/Gimp/Paint.Net or any picture editting program
The file you want to edit (they are in .arc format)

Preparation:

Make a folder anywhere you want and name it "BrawlBox" and extract the contents of "BrawlBox v0.59.zip" in there.

Guide:

1. Open your file in Hex Workshop. A few lines down you should find the word "bres" (obviously without the ""). Right click > Cut, everything before "bres" and hit save as and save as "WhateverYourFileIsCalled.brres". Create a new file (file > new), paste and save as whatever file name you want.

2. Open BrawlBox. Go File > Open and open up your .brres file. A few folders should have come up, click on the [+] next to the folder that is labeled "Textures(NW4R)" and you should see the textures. Right click the picture you want to edit and hit export, save it to where ever you want.

3. Open up your texture file and edit it in your picture editing program. Once your done save it as a png.

4. Go back to BrawlBox and right click on the texture you exported and click replace. Navigate to where your saved png file is and hit open.

5. Once your done editting the textures in brawlbox, save and open your file up in a hex editor again. Copy and paste everything in the file you saved at the start (with the stuff before "bres") and paste it at the start of your file.

Done.

If its confusing, tell me an i will fix it up, i wrote this quickly so it might be a little jumbled up.

VILE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lol, almost every wii game is the same with texture hacking
frown.gif

Your talking about extracting the textures, editing them and putting them back in right?

GrandMasterJimmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, nothing against what you're doing or anything, I just can't find it impressive personally just because of how standard it is in nearly every Wii game to be able to edit the textures. The only added step to this is putting the .brres into a .arc as well.

VILE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GrandMasterJimmy said:
Yeah, nothing against what you're doing or anything, I just can't find it impressive personally just because of how standard it is in nearly every Wii game to be able to edit the textures. The only added step to this is putting the .brres into a .arc as well.

Ok i don't care if you don't find it impressive, you are nothing to me, i thought i would post this for the people who didn't know about it.

And what are you on with this .brres business, this has got nothing to do with that format...

PS: Who ever can USB loader NSMBW for me, can they test a texture hack please.

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
guys, give the guy his moment, ok. i mean yeah, its a simple task, yet effective now with all these level edits, it could be a real good thing here...

GrandMasterJimmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VILE said:
GrandMasterJimmy said:

Ok i don't care if you don't find it impressive, you are nothing to me, i thought i would post this for the people who didn't know about it.

And what are you on with this .brres business, this has got nothing to do with that format...

Er.. It has a lot to do with the .brres format. The unpacked .arc files contain .brres files.

damysteryman

I am too busy IRL these days...
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Interesting. Combine this with the new level editors, and there will be fully fleged hacks of NSMBW, just like the good old Super Mario World ROM Hacking days. It sounds like fun!

Hey! Maybe people can port popular SMW hacks to NSMBW!

New Super Mario Bros Dark World Wii anyone? I'd play that!

VILE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
GrandMasterJimmy said:
VILE said:
GrandMasterJimmy said:

Er.. It has a lot to do with the .brres format. The unpacked .arc files contain .brres files.

You don't need to unpack the arc file...

VILE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You didn't make shit, you searched TEX0 in a hex editor and extracted that.

And guys, i know this is a simple task, i have tex hacked alot of other wii games, i just thought it wasn't widely known that almost every wii game has the same method of changing the textures.

OncleJulien

tool of peers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VILE said:
You didn't make shit, you searched TEX0 in a hex editor and extracted that.VILEOk i don't care if you don't find it impressive, you are nothing to me,
congrats on your advances in both texture hacking and douchieness.

NeonTogepi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TempusC said:
Do some model hacks. The Reggie! team can do them, and so can you. Same format as Brawl. If you're browsing through the .arcs, they're the mdl0 bit.
Yeah, but only other mdl0's could be used for right now, since the brawl dae to mdl0 converter isn't out yet.

GrandMasterJimmy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realize that unpacking/packing an .arc file takes 2 seconds, and would cut out any need to hex edit right?

Here's the easier way.

1.) Download Wii.cs tools. http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
2.) Unpack .arc file with U8Mii.
3.) Open the .brres file in BrawlBox.
4.) Save PNG's, edit, and re-import edited PNG.
5.) Save .brres.
6.) Pack .bress file with U8Mii to make an .arc file.

Cut's out all need to hex edit anything.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
VILE said:
~Here is the simplest way to hack NSMBW and possibly other wii games!~

What you need:

Hex Workshop ~ http://www.hexworkshop.com/
BrawlBox ~ http://brawltools.googlecode.com/files/BrawlBox v0.59.zip
Photoshop/Gimp/Paint.Net or any picture editting program
The file you want to edit (they are in .arc format)

Preparation:

Make a folder anywhere you want and name it "BrawlBox" and extract the contents of "BrawlBox v0.59.zip" in there.

Guide:

1. Open your file in Hex Workshop. A few lines down you should find the word "bres" (obviously without the ""). Right click > Cut, everything before "bres" and hit save as and save as "WhateverYourFileIsCalled.brres". Create a new file (file > new), paste and save as whatever file name you want.

2. Open BrawlBox. Go File > Open and open up your .brres file. A few folders should have come up, click on the [+] next to the folder that is labeled "Textures(NW4R)" and you should see the textures. Right click the picture you want to edit and hit export, save it to where ever you want.

3. Open up your texture file and edit it in your picture editing program. Once your done save it as a png.

4. Go back to BrawlBox and right click on the texture you exported and click replace. Navigate to where your saved png file is and hit open.

5. Once your done editting the textures in brawlbox, save and open your file up in a hex editor again. Copy and paste everything in the file you saved at the start (with the stuff before "bres") and paste it at the start of your file.

Done.

If its confusing, tell me an i will fix it up, i wrote this quickly so it might be a little jumbled up.

working Brawlbox link

http://brawltools.googlecode.com/files/BrawlBox%20v0.59.zip

at the one you posted is fooked

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
VILE said:
GrandMasterJimmy said:

dont cry lol accept some criticism... and the need for hex editing? not one, see bellow quote...

QUOTE(GrandMasterJimmy @ Nov 23 2009, 11:08 AM)
You do realize that unpacking/packing an .arc file takes 2 seconds, and would cut out any need to hex edit right?

Here's the easier way.

1.) Download Wii.cs tools. http://code.google.com/p/showmiiwads/downloads/list
2.) Unpack .arc file with U8Mii.
3.) Open the .brres file in BrawlBox.
4.) Save PNG's, edit, and re-import edited PNG.
5.) Save .brres.
6.) Pack .bress file with U8Mii to make an .arc file.

Cut's out all need to hex edit anything.
seems much simpler to me, and it's worded nicely
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all