Country
United Kingdom
review.gif
GBAtemp Recommends! Homebrew #5

Tetronimo stacking special.

gbatrec.png
GBAtemp Recommends!

NDS - The Grand Masters, Lockjaw the Overdose and TetattDS​

The GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series is back with another selection of homebrew.
Normally we cover various homebrew from the systems covered here at GBAtemp but this time it is a tetronimo stacking special (the Tetris company tends to be a bit trademark happy for unlicensed games so tetronimo stacking it is).

When it comes to homebrew all the systems GBAtemp covers have a great deal of it, tetronimo stacking is also somewhat of a "hello world" so we are here to showcase some of the best.
As mentioned we are looking at tetronimo stacking games this time around but with such games frequently sitting in the top of "favourite games" and "most time wasted played" lists (your author most certainly falling into both categories) it is no problem for fulfil our mandate to showcase games that both entertain and kill hours.
Also good news when you consider that many newer licensed variants have odd rules and setups that differ from the more traditional versions. Should you be one of the people that desires a more traditional experience homebrew should have you covered due to it not needing to stick to said license agreements.

icon11.gif
Click here to read the full post
discuss.png
Discuss

click for other gbatemp recommends homebrew

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
gbatrec.png
GBAtemp Recommends!

NDS - The Grand Masters, Lockjaw the Overdose and TetattDS

The GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series is back with another selection of homebrew.
Normally we cover various homebrew from the systems covered here at GBAtemp but this time it is a tetronimo stacking special (the Tetris company tends to be a bit trademark happy for unlicensed games so tetronimo stacking it is).

When it comes to homebrew all the systems GBAtemp covers have a great deal of it, tetronimo stacking is also somewhat of a "hello world" so we are here to showcase some of the best.
As mentioned we are looking at tetronimo stacking games this time around but with such games frequently sitting in the top of "favourite games" and "most time wasted played" lists (your author most certainly falling into both categories) it is no problem for fulfil our mandate to showcase games that both entertain and kill hours.
Also good news when you consider that many newer licensed variants have odd rules and setups that differ from the more traditional versions. Should you be one of the people that desires a more traditional experience homebrew should have you covered due to it not needing to stick to said license agreements.

1)TGM from meraman
icon11.gif
Author Homepage (no download available)
No download as it was the victim of a C&D order. The final version released "NDS_TGM_20080815.nds" (some more development did happen after this but no binary or source was released) is 47,857,664 bytes in size and has the following hash values:
CRC32: A48E4F88
MD5: B9E348F2C46C342BB3E58B2FDA3B837C
SHA1: 41E7A73C9536B2BF2CC61C0DB63E28A72758C7B2
tgmgame.jpg
tgmmenu.jpg

This game is a remake of sorts of a Japanese version of the Tetris series known as Tetris- The Grand Masters (the homebrew features the first 3). Many game modes make for a interesting experience and some that can be incredibly hard. The most interesting deviation from normal mechanics is the ability to rotate your blocks a few times once you have done a "hard drop".
Note to users of GBA slot devices that put homebrew in ram, you may have to delete or relink the backgrounds to get it down in size (standard ndstool/DSlazy/DSbuff deconstruct and reconstruct).

2)Lockjaw the overdose from Damien Yerrick aka Tepples
icon11.gif
Author Homepage

This is a highly customisable version of the tetronimo stacking game with the ability to replicate nearly any other implementation, make a "pure" version, interesting modes that rival the first entry to this list and beyond. The video above shows the GBA version as well as the (optional) screen moving effect the game features. It has ports for the PC, GBA and DS.

3)Tetattds from Flatware
icon11.gif
Author Homepage
download.gif
GBAtemp download
[6383]tetattds.jpg

OK so this is based on Tetris Attack but it is an exceptionally well done game featuring wifi and local multiplayer. It plays somewhat more like Columns (the main rival to Tetris games back when) than the subject of this special but few would argue that is it not worthy of being here.

James_Wulfe

Trophies
Website
okami-designs.ath.cx
XP
Country
United States
I loved everyone of these and in hindsight i wish i would have never deleted Grand Masters now ><

If ANYONE has a copy the can send me give me a pm please i sooooo miss that game it was one of the best, DAMN YOU COPYRIGHTS!

moogle.gif

Islay

Trophies
XP
Country
James_Wulfe said:
I loved everyone of these and in hindsight i wish i would have never deleted Grand Masters now ><

If ANYONE has a copy the can send me give me a pm please i sooooo miss that game it was one of the best, DAMN YOU COPYRIGHTS!

moogle.gif
its called Google.

James_Wulfe

Trophies
Website
okami-designs.ath.cx
XP
Country
United States
Islay said:
James_Wulfe said:

moogle.gif
its called Google.

Thanks for the tip never would have thought Google >< Now here is a tip for you asshole if you don't have something useful to say then stfu, I did use Google first thanks........

Smatchmo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2nd link under Lockjaw game takes you to Herg's Solitaire download.

otherwise, great stuff!! i like the homebrew recommends over the commercial gba recommendations.

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TGM is sooooooooooooooooo addicting. I got to level 199 once and haven't been able to put it down. MUST. GET. TO. LEVEL. 200.

BastarB

Trophies
XP
Country
chao1212 said:
TGM is sooooooooooooooooo addicting. I got to level 199 once and haven't been able to put it down. MUST. GET. TO. LEVEL. 200.

Ah, did you get there in the master mode? I did it to level 351 in master mode yesterday. For some reason the bricks slows down for a while when you have reached level 200, is that supposed to happen??=P Anyway, compared to this guy, we are all n00bs^^ : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
James_Wulfe said:
Islay said:
James_Wulfe said:

moogle.gif
its called Google.

Thanks for the tip never would have thought Google >< Now here is a tip for you asshole if you don't have something useful to say then stfu, I did use Google first thanks........
See the file name in the other thread? Do you see it? Watch:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=NDS_TGM_20080815.nds
You may need to try more than one of the results.

(This is not a link to an illegal file.)

D

Deleted User

I just have to say that I have been playing LOCKJAW: The Overdose and it is by far the best homebrew I have ever played. It is my favorite homebrew of all time.

Burbruee

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
NDS_TGM (and obviously real TGM) is so great.
I have it set to TGM3 on Master, since that's what I like the most.

I hope it's okay to link to a video of it. Here's me playing master: http://143.homelinux.com/live.php?id=122
PLEASE NOTE: When editing, I made the video play at double speed because I had very little disk space left at that time.. I do not play that fast !
It's only for demonstration anyway..

Some players can play that fast for real though. But I'm not quite there yet.
wink.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll tell ya, I'm about puzzle game'd out....especially clones of Tetris....even if they do have slight variations on the gameplay.

Nice write-up though.

hdofu

Trophies
Website
www.wikitsune.com
XP
Country
United States
2 great tetris clones and a nice panel de pon clone to boot, man I hate arikia for having such a stick up their asses concerning homebrew tetris games. Tetris: The Grand Master 3 Shirace is hurting sales of their arcade games how?

Jei

Translator and romhacker wannabe
Trophies
Website
space.offgamers.com
XP
Country
Brazil
I absolutely love playing TGM since I found about it (long before the article).

What are people's records on it? Which mode you play better on?
I'm better at the 5-column Master mode, already got about 600 lines there... in the other modes (4 or the most common 10 columns) I keep getting less numbers because I end up worrying too much about the piece placement and screw all up
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: you are a product of my imagination