Hacking Having problems with games freezing?

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a lack of systematic testing when problems arise. If you are experiencing lockups or freezes with your game, please follow these steps.

The first thing you need to do is to cut down the number of variables:

1. Make sure Wiiconnect24 is off
2. Don't use LAN. Use Wireless. Make sure there are no LAN settings on your Wii. Every field ought to be blank.
3. Do not use Waninkoko cIOS 249 rev 10. Install cIOS 249 rev 9. If you aren't sure which one you have (or even if you think you know), re-install rev 9. Note: LU64 Wiis cannot use a rev below 11, otherwise they will be bricked! Some people have claimed that Waninkoko's cIOS 249 rev 12 and the newer Hermes' cIOS 222/223 eliminate their spindown problems. I don't know if Waninkoko or Hermes have officially said they implemented a fix, but it's worth a shot.
4. Make sure your hard drive is connected to the first USB port on the Wii, not the second.
5. Don't use Ocarina or any weird hacks. This includes preloader hacks.
6. If you are using the latest USB Loader GX with Waninkoko cIOS 249 rev other than 13, the "002 fix" global settings should be "OFF," and the per game settings should be "Anti."
7. Make sure ALL your hard drive partitions are primary.

Do ALL of these things. Don't fucking "yeah, yeah" us and pretend you did.

Some things to try to see if the problem can be reproduced under different conditions:

A. Try installing and running the game onto a known-working USB flash drive. Does it still crash? If so, it's definitely not the hard drive.
B. Try deleting the game from your hard drive and install from an ISO on your PC using one of the various utilities.
C. Are you using a copy instead of an original? Are you using a compressed ISO? Try using a different copy.
D. Try a different USB Loader
E. Try a different USB cable. If you have the Seagate FreeAgent Go, try not using the cradle. See if it makes a difference.

How to test the hard drive sleep problem:

1. Start WiiFit.
2. Go to Aerobics, Boxing, 10 minutes.
3. Play it to the end.
4. If you can complete the exercise and get back to the aerobics screen (without quitting, you cheater), you do not have a hard drive sleep problem.

If you have been using USB Loader GX for a while and update it periodically, try deleting the config files and stop using themes. Let the new version create a new set of default files. If you're loading your files from a SD card, try reformatting it. It's possible it can get corrupted when the loader writes to the file system.

And for God's sakes... If you have a problem and you want help, please list your configuration in detail.

* Console: PAL/NTSC
* Game: PAL/NTSC
* Firmware and region
* Preloader hacks in use
* USB Loader name and version
* Hard Drive

Nintendo101 discovered something interesting. If your hard drive enclosure is EIDE rather than SATA, you may benefit by setting the jumper to Single Drive/Master rather than Cable Select.

Please note: Most Western Digital 3.5" EIDE drives have four distinct jumper settings: Single Drive, Master, Slave, and Cable Select. Please try Cable Select first, then Single Drive, then Master last. Every other drive manufacturer combines the Master and Single Drive as a single jumper setting (like on the WD 2.5" EIDE drives). If so, use Single Drive/Master first, then try Cable Select.

From the WDC website:

Always verify the jumper settings for your particular drive before attempting any change.

If I left something out, just say so and I'll update the OP.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
very very nice
smile.gif
hope this thread catches on
Another point: if a game crashes and you installed it thru the wii itself, use windows tools to install the iso that way, then try again

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
manias said:
very very nice
smile.gif
hope this thread catches on
Another point: if a game crashes and you installed it thru the wii itself, use windows tools to install the iso that way, then try again

I agree. I've had 100% success rate installing normal (not compressed) ISO files on the PC.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had problems with my hdd for a long time with Mario Galaxy. Then I found this thread and I can confirm that this worked for me.
I have a 160GB seagate Barracuda hdd connected to a USB to IDE adapter and powered by my Xbox. All I did was turn off Wiiconnect and my Preloader hacks and it bloody worked.
smile.gif

Although the sound does cut out at times but it doesn't crash on me like it did before.

Thanks
smile.gif

erolz

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
hdhacker said:
4. Make sure your hard drive is connected to the first USB port on the Wii, not the second.

whats the first and second usb port? how can you tell?

jarock

Trophies
XP
Country
Your first port is the top one if you lay the Wii down on it's flat.
In other words the outer one.

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most people say that if you pause your game right before the end of a race in Mario Kart Wii and wait 10 minutes, it will crash if you have a spindown problem. I don't like this test because people might screw it up and claim everything is fine.

mickthestud

Trophies
XP
Country
you say that you should be using ios36 v9 when nearly all usb loaders above 1.1 need ios36 v10 to work ,just thought i would point it out...

AlBa

Trophies
XP
Country
mickthestud said:
you say that you should be using ios36 v9 when nearly all usb loaders above 1.1 need ios36 v10 to work ,just thought i would point it out...

Yeah, so why shouldn't we use ios36 rev10 hdhacker?

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the OP in the USB Loader GX V 1.0 thread.

"Sidenote: For best "performance i recommend cIOS rev9 since it is more stable than rev10. Freezes during installation seem not to appear with rev9... also games like Animal Crossing seem to run with rev9. Waninkoko is already working on rev11 which will erase the bugs in rev10 i think."

Emphasis mine.

AlBa

Trophies
XP
Country
Are there others issues than Aside Animal Crossing and installation?

About rev11 : would be nice if LAN adapters would work again
smile.gif

I read that an official rev11 is out and included in softmii, did you try it hdhacker?

hdhacker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AlBa said:
Are there others issues than Aside Animal Crossing and installation?

About rev11 : would be nice if LAN adapters would work again
smile.gif

I read that an official rev11 is out and included in softmii, did you try it hdhacker?

Yes, Animal Crossing also crashes from time to time. The Rev 11 in the softmii is also unstable. I believe the update was for LU64 wiis.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mickthestud said:
no they don't all loaders load games just fine with rev9
rev10 is just for some covers to work and SDcards to work. rev9 is more stable than 10 and 11(not really released)
that rev11 that is floating around has none of the features that were promised to be in rev11 like usb stuff fixed so don't use it!

kkthxbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't know if this is the topic to post this in, but i have been in contact with Western Digital, about disabling HD Sleep on their external harddrives.
So i thought i would post the answer here:

Dear X,

Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

All WD external hard drives will spin down (enter into power saver mode) after 10 minutes of drive inactivity. Once the drive is accessed again, the drive will exit from the power saver mode and spin back up.

Please Note: This is a permanent feature of all our external hard drives and cannot be disabled.

Sincerely,
X X

Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

I have tried with HDPARM but it would not change the setting. The drive works okay with most games, but every once in a while the background music stops for 10 sec, or the game freezes for a short while.

kkthxbye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used hdparm -S251 hdb - also tried a lot of the other commands (-K). Got an error that said somthing about feature not implemented.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn