Homebrew POKeDEX DS save reading

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ok, I am on the PokéDex DS team, and I am wondering if someone can help with one of its more advanced features:
Reading a Pokemon Diamond/Pearl save, to find out which pokemon the user has/doesn't have. This will then auto-show all the pokemon they havn;t caught and then will allow the user to see the locations/description of the pokemon

Can anyone please help me? (I think its the right place to post...
sleep.gif
)

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Cardme and savsender contain appropriate source for reading save games.
The pokesav development wiki has had all the necessary info too, but it's all in Japanese.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
arctic_flame said:
Cardme and savsender contain appropriate source for reading save games.
The pokesav development wiki has had all the necessary info too, but it's all in Japanese.
What happened to it?
I reeeaaally need that info
rolleyes.gif

I'm thinking of attempting to decompile Pokesavefind it!
EDIT: Spelling + Grammar

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
arctic_flame said:
Antoligy said:
arctic_flame said:
What happened to it?
IIRC, the authors removed everything after people started cheating online with modified pokemon.
Maybe if I persuaded them, they'd tell me... If I promised,

Ah well... This feature is only needed when wabsta is ready to implement this.
I'll spend the time working on this...

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
wabsta said:
News on this?
Basicly... no
I still can't figure it out.
I think that our best bet is to read to see if a value on the pokedex is complete (i.e. FFFFFF)
If so, then it skips that entry, if not, it lists all the entry (seen, male/female aren't taken into account)
but thats all a thought.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Narin said:
Thankyou Narin!
This is LOOAADS of help! Ask Wabsta, I've been a pain the the Dev Blog ( I have a copy of everyones Pokemon saves!)
I was looking for this and it seems that the PokeSav forum, is full of people who use pokesav, not people who know how it works!
Thanks!

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan

Chaorain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've thought about making a homebrew that would need to read pokemon sav files. I don't see any way of choosing individual pokemon in pokesav but it is probably somewhere near the rest of the pokedex modifiers, I would get a sav with the pokedex options off before editing then turn ONE on at a time and compare the original sav file and the new sav file in hex to see what changed. I would bet that the way the pokemon are stored for the pokedex would be a flag (probably two) that say if each pokemon is seen or owned. That is how it worked up through pokemon crystal at least according to monster brain (a REALLY old pokemon only action replay for GB games). Hope that helped.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Chaorain said:
I've thought about making a homebrew that would need to read pokemon sav files. I don't see any way of choosing individual pokemon in pokesav but it is probably somewhere near the rest of the pokedex modifiers, I would get a sav with the pokedex options off before editing then turn ONE on at a time and compare the original sav file and the new sav file in hex to see what changed. I would bet that the way the pokemon are stored for the pokedex would be a flag (probably two) that say if each pokemon is seen or owned. That is how it worked up through pokemon crystal at least according to monster brain (a REALLY old pokemon only action replay for GB games). Hope that helped.
Thanks!
I waas thinking as a system that got the job done, it checks the pokedex files, and if it isn't FFFFFF for a pokemon entry (what I think the complete pokemon entry looks like) then it gives you that pokemon on the list so you can see it as a pokemon you don't have. Thenit could tell you where to find it and stuff like that!

codemonke85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I help with this? Here are my qualifications - http://forum.pokesav.org/viewtopic.php?f=1...;p=15692#p15692 - check out the images I link to in that post.

I made a program that can read Pokémon from Diamond and Pearl saves. But my program focuses more on the actual in-game stored Pokémon... for yours, I think you should locate the Pokédex seen and caught bytes, wherever they are, in the save file.

At any rate, I'd be willing to contribute programming logic as well as whatever I know about the save file.

EDIT 2:

Hey, is this project still alive? I'd like to help.

So, I edited the article on Pokémon Data Structure in the DS, and (thanks to me!) there is a new article for Save Structure in the DS as well.

Plus, this post here will probably be useful to you.

Frederica Bernkastel

OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Although PokedexDS may be dead,
I'm trying to get PAlib and Devkitpro to work on my (horrible OS) vista PC.
When I get it working, I'll try to recreate it, as I already had a pretty good idea on how it works and fitted together.

EDIT:
codemonke85, thanks for your help, you interested in joining our team when we decide what/how to do?

codemonke85

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I know squat about coding for the DS, but I do know roughly everything you need to know in order to read a DP save file. As a matter of fact, the PC applications I've written to read the save file are more accurate than Pokésav, for reasons I will also explain when the time comes.

So I guess joining your team really means explaining quite a bit of information.

At any rate, let me know when you need me / what you need.

By the way, here is my latest project - http://forum.pokesav.org/viewtopic.php?f=1...p;t=2617#p19882 - and here is a pic - http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t257/co...S_Box_New_1.png. I haven't begun on reading Pokédex data yet, but I have the information I need to do it (somewhere).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3