Hacking Slot 1 and GBA Roms

BaHaMut_ZeR0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i'm interested in obtaining a slot 1 solution, but I have one question before doing so: Can slot 1 solutions run GBA images? Or is that only possible with slot 2? Or is it dependent on the slot1 firmware?

I'd like to know, because I may need to plan a budget for snatching a slot2 flashcart. (Most slot1's act as passme's, anyway)

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slot 1 cannot be accessed in GBA mode. The only way a slot 1 card will ever be able to run GBA roms is if someone writes a GBA emulator that runs in DS mode, and that's not going to happen. Even if someone wrote such an emulator the DS doesn't have enough ram to hold a GBA rom. Slot 1 is too slow to use for GBA games, so you would need a ram cart in slot 2.

No matter what happens you will never be able to play GBA games on the DS without some sort of cart in slot 2.

sumpm1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought my SuperCard Lite 2 weeks ago, and I was so pissed when I saw that they were coming out with all of these slot1 cards, and I was stck with this clunky pair. But then I realized that none of the slot1 cards could play GBA. GBA support is pretty big. Think about it, there are still no fighting games for DS, but plenty of options for the GBA. Sports games; all of the "GO TO" games for certain genres still remain with the GBA. I am happy that I can play them.

vegetano1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Slot 1 cannot be accessed in GBA mode. The only way a slot 1 card will ever be able to run GBA roms is if someone writes a GBA emulator that runs in DS mode, and that's not going to happen. Even if someone wrote such an emulator the DS doesn't have enough ram to hold a GBA rom. Slot 1 is too slow to use for GBA games, so you would need a ram cart in slot 2.

No matter what happens you will never be able to play GBA games on the DS without some sort of cart in slot 2.

How come a slot 1 is slower then slot 2??

Well i know your right, but i still hope it will hapen someday!!

smile.gif

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It will not happen.

Slot 2 is designed like a GBA slot, which requires the read access faster than how they designed the Slot 1 for DS. DS games are coded to run on at least Slot 1 speed. GBA games are coded to run at least Slot 2 speed.

That's why you can run DS games from slot 2, but not GBA from slot 1. It's a simple hardware limitation.

Can we get a fucking sticky thread in every sub-forum to get people to stop asking about fucking GBA support in slot 1 solutions? I'm sick of hearing people complain that slot 1 solutions don't support GBA...

DSLite

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
One day it will be possible, sooner than you expect.
Those who say it will not are mistaken.
The theoretical noob talk about bandwidth issues and such is bullshit.

Mark my words.

kalibar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One day it will be possible, sooner than you expect.
Those who say it will not are mistaken.
The theoretical noob talk about bandwidth issues and such is bullshit.

Mark my words.
Yeah but even if it is, who in the fuck cares? You're not using slot-2 for anything else, you'd might as well shove a god damn Chinese cart in there!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://wccftech-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/wccftech.com/amd-800-series-am5-motherboards-launch-r...