Hacking Zelda 4 Swords and Gateway

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
BTW I'm expecting triple post.

The "3" badge on my notifications was scary :P

Anyways here it is, my brain hurts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERY IMPORTANT - WHAT WE NEED TO KNOW BEFORE DOING THIS TUTORIAL
-Know how to use emuNAND Tool
-Know how to "Install emunand in the Gateway"

! - It only works on firmwares 4.1-4.5
! - This method only works on Eur consoles ATM (because of the incompatibility right now of Gateway's Launcher with Usa Consoles "Still to be verified, due to lack of personnel. xD)

Term Glossary
Real Nand: The Console's original nand
EmuNand: Its the nand that is created with Gateway's Launcher after using Format EmunNand.
"Diferentiated" Nands: Its the result of seperating Real Nand from the emunand.

A little bit of information
The majority of you people after using Emunand u might of noticed that when you download an app, be it Youtube, or the Zelda ALBW video, tey appear on the real Nand too, and that when you try to open them in the real nand you get an error, and of consequence, when you enter emunand these icons have dissapeared and everything downloaded previously.
Well, this is what we will try to solve in this tutorial to prevent that from happenning, and having to Download everything again from eshop, using the division of our real nand from emunand
! This tutorial also works for those who have downloaded an update by mistake and have it there (pululando) and its a good way to erase the update and to recover our DSIware games.

Requirements
Have a 3DS/3DS XL (EUR) with firmware 4.1-4.5
A NDS flashcart compatible with 3DS on the firmwares said earlier
128mb MicroSD card or larger for the NDS flashcard
2GB or larger SD card for the 3DS console.
A PC with SD card reader or in your case a USB with SD card reader.

---Necessary Files
Gateway 3DS 2.0b2 firmware
Emunand Tool v1.0

Steps
-1) Have emunand separated from real nand
-2) Be able to have DSIware games downloaded from the emunand on the real nand.

Step 1: Have emunand separated from real nand

-Saved Data
As you know, emunand shares the same data folder as the real nand and for that cause when we touch anything in the real nand , we can lose all the registries from emunand when we overwrite these on the real nand.
What you have to do is grab the console's SD card, put it into your PC and make a backup of the contents of the Nintendo 3DS folder. Im referring to the weird folder with alot of numbers and letters and the Private folder, copy them to your PC with this we are asociating the current emunand from that folder system and so, making it independant from the real nand
EMUnand separation
Once we've done this, the next thing we're going to do is to format Real nand via Console Configuration/Other Settings/ Format, with this we make the console generate another code of folders to which the real nand will be associated with, in other words, another different folder with letters and numbers, now you only have to copy that backup you previously made into the Nintendo 3DS folder, along with the other Private folder.

And done, you'll see in Console configuration, in data management, both Nintendo 3DS apps and DSIware apps, when you go to emunand, you will have all the apps and everything you have downloaded from eShop.

! - If you dont want to format real nand to separate the two nands, you can also do it with emunand, it would be the same steps, but instead of accessing via real nand, you would access via Emunand's Console configuration/Other Settings/Format.
! - Remember to disable Wifi and Parental control to prevent any console update, after formatting real nand we will lose that configuration, although it lets you know when you configure it when you turn it on to adjust those parameters.
! - Remember that everytime you load the exploit with the nds card you will have to disable wifi also because the real nand's settings reappear.

Step 2: Be able to have DSIware games downloaded from the emunand on the real nand.
-EMUnand Update
We have formatted real nand and thus again all those programs we had of DSIware, that we already had on emunand, because now that we have both nands separated these dont appear for me, in Console configuration/Data Management/Dsiware

-First and foremost we will make a full backup of the whole SD card again and we'll save it on the PC.
-Now we will format emunand and so the SD card will be formatted.

!- It's not neccesary that you save the real nand's folder because when you do EMUnand it will make the same folder structure of the real nand and that will be the one we will use for game transfer. What IS important, is to save Emunand's folder because this is the one that has all the emunand's contents associated that we have seperated.

-Once we've made the SD backup we will use EMUnand Tool and we will extract the seperated emunand because we don't want to lose it and it's the one that is associated to the structure of the folder we have created earlier.
-When we've made the complete backup, start Gateway's menu holding the L button and once inside, choose Format Emunand, we wait until it's finished formatting and once it's done, we go to the created emunand and what we will do there is update emunand.
-For that, follow the fantastic Tutorial from egarrote on Installing emunand on gateway.

! - With this what we have achieved is having the emunand associated with the real nand again.

- We've done this so that we have an emunand backup and at the same time have the real nand and the emunand associated and that way be able to transfer the DSIware games downloaded that couldnt be played on emunand
-After configurating the NNID again, we can access flawlessly our program list downloaded from eShop in the differentiated emunand like from to combined emunand (saved on the PC).

- Once we've downloaded the DSIware programs you have bought, go to Console Configuration/Data Management/DSIware and copy all your games to the Console's SD card with this we've achieved associate the emunand's registries to the real nand.
-Now we only have to exit emunand.

! - Before that disable the wifi button because we havent had the chance to be on the real nand because emunand's settings reside in real nand's.

-Once we're in real nand with Wifi turned off and we deleted the configurations that's on the real nand, we'll go to Data Management/DSIware and we'll see there is nothing.

-Well if you look at the of the console is SD card, click it and you'll see all the games we had downloaded will appear, well all we need to do is import the games to the real nand and done.

! - Well there's still one thing left to finish and it's to restore the seperated nand's system, because we're still on Shared nand's system.

-For that , grab EmuNAND tool extrat the actual emunand (because you'll have to use it to repeat the process of obtaining DSIware games from the eshop), we restore the Nintendo 3DS folder the folder corresponding to the seperated emunand.

- We insert the emunand we extracted so that it accesses said folder, remember to restore game saves and camera photos we had extracted from the console, before formatting emunand.
And Done we again have the seperated nand system and we can now play our DSIware games on the real nand

This process is only to be made once; when changing emunands with EMUnand Tool it's enough because you dont have to modify folders, although keep in mind that when you change from seperated emunand to shared emunand you will always have to backup your seperated emunand on your PC because it always gets updated each time you access it, like Miis and console progresses, with the other one all you need is the copy u had extracted because you will only use it to acess eshop and download games, u wont save any process there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Lina, for the tutorial.

Source: http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_tuto...o-y-jugar-con-el-dsiware-en-nand-real_1969350

I guess "pululando" means bothering or something.
Mid-way in translation, i started to smell bullshit, but whatever, maybe someone actually understands it now, and can improvise an easier way to do this.

Me, on the other hand, my gut is telling me to sell my 3DS and get away from the 3DS scene as fast as possible, after i read this complicated procedure.

untok

Trophies
Website
romumaailma.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Finland
Hmm what i understand this.
1 make backup 3ds folder
2 format realnand
3 mix newly created 3ds folder to backup 3ds folder to create two separate folders under 3ds folder.

4 copy emunand dsiware to sd and reload to dsiware to realnand.

PedroDJavier

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry. It doesn´t work in USA 3ds because in USA firmware there´s a new protectiont that don´t allow us to transfer the titles from emunand to real nand, because real nand don´t recognise emunand downloaded titles, until the nands were sincronyzed.

PD: Good translates.

cabal_man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was referring to the Gateway part of the discussion. Having a Gateway = Piracy.

This is not true for everyone.

I have my wii hacked with a harddrive and SD card containing over 30 wii games and 100+ SNES/NES/Megadrive/master system games. I own ALL the original discs. Similarly I have all my DS games tucked away in boxes, but it is nice not to have to carry around 15 cartidges just in case I fancy playing something. I'd rather have one SD card. As soon as gateway multi rom support comes out then I will do the same.

It also lets you lend games to friends and still be able to play them yourself.

Another good example of this is my friend calling me a pirate for downloading the last harry potter book.... However I had already purchased a copy of it, but my brother was reading it so I just DLed a copy to read in the interim.

Sure gateway can be used for piracy, but that is not necessarily the case for everyone..

Destinykid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. It doesn´t work in USA 3ds because in USA firmware there´s a new protectiont that don´t allow us to transfer the titles from emunand to real nand, because real nand don´t recognise emunand downloaded titles, until the nands were sincronyzed.

PD: Good translates.

Yup, I just tried it. It doesn't work (at least on a USA console).

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope someone gets this to work, even if it's region-specific, so we can get an idea on why it would work. I hope it's not another false jump-to-conclusion like someone here proclaiming that he can download his eshop purchases to another 3ds but had only tested the process on the SAME 3ds.

There are several dsi-only games that I want to purchase and play.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I have my wii hacked with a harddrive and SD card containing over 30 wii games and 100+ SNES/NES/Megadrive/master system games. I own ALL the original discs. Similarly I have all my DS games tucked away in boxes, but it is nice not to have to carry around 15 cartidges just in case I fancy playing something. I'd rather have one SD card. As soon as gateway multi rom support comes out then I will do the same.

Another good example of this is my friend calling me a pirate for downloading the last harry potter book.... However I had already purchased a copy of it, but my brother was reading it so I just DLed a copy to read in the interim.

Sure gateway can be used for piracy, but that is not necessarily the case for everyone..
This is nitpicking, but technically it's piracy even if you own the game. You are allowed to create your own backups, but downloading them is still piracy.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm updating the re-created emunand right now. I'll write here if I'll be able to import zelda 4 swords in the real nand.
also if it works, I will be able to make a summary of how to do it.

edit: FUUUUUUUUUU ZELDA 4 SWORDS IS ONLY FOR AMERICAN 3DSES!!!
I can't test this unless I find a free dsiware game.

Reactions: CIH137

juins

Trophies
XP
Country
Anyways guys, DL it, and have it on your 3ds emunand. You never know if itll come in handy and work later on.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I searched with the eshop, by putting "software type: dsiware" and "maximum price: 0" and it found nothing... at least I can make a summary of the guide so far (that is, a guide to separate emunand from realnand).

follow the red guide if you want to format realnand or follow the blue one if you don't (if you use the dark theme, change it temporarily >_>)
if you need to use them to transfer dsiware softwares from emunand to realnand, the red one is longer but it lets you retain everything in emunand as it is now (and erase any downloaded update from realnand, if you have it. this, btw, is the only reason why I used it), while the blue one is shorter but you will have to redownload everything 'cause you have to format emunand (notice that, if you have many games to redownload, the blue guide becomes the longest for sure!).

separating emunand from realnand without formatting the latter:
  1. plug the SD in the computer and make a copy of the files, just in case. after this, use emuNAND Tool to make a backup of emunand. that backup will be useful in case you want to transfer dsiware softwares from emunand to realnand, in the future (name it so that you can recognize it).
  2. go into emunand, in the settings (you have to use a version of the gateway launcher that allows you to do it) and use the system format.
  3. once formatted, enter emunand again and it will make you set the date, time, username etc. You can safely set an internet connection since your emunand is now separated from the realnand, so the settings won't be "copied" to realnand as it used to happen before (edit: actually, this still must be confirmed).
  4. plug the SD in the computer again and restore the saves and the images you copied into the computer before, in case they got deleted (they shouldn't have been deleted, but I didn't use this guide, so yeah).
    DON'T RESTORE THE "Nintendo 3DS" FOLDER!
  5. now, in emunand, you should reconnect your Nintendo Network ID to your console (by opening the eshop) and redownload all your games and softwares (the most boring part).
  6. make a backup of the new emunand with emuNAND Tool and name it so that you can recognize it.
  7. enjoy your separated emunand, in which you can change any setting without it getting reflected in realnand. games downloaded in emunand won't appear in sysnand anymore, too.
separating emunand from realnand by formatting the latter:
  1. plug the SD in the computer and make a copy of the "Nintendo 3DS" folder.
  2. go in realnand, in the settings, and use the system format. once formatted, it will make you set the date, time, username etc.
  3. plug the SD in the computer again. delete the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, then replace it with the one you copied in the computer on step #1.
  4. use emuNAND Tool to make a backup of emunand and give it a name to recognize it.

the following steps are required only if you plan to import dsiware softwares from emunand to realnand in the future.
    if you don't think you will need it, go to step #11.
  5. reinstall the exploit with the blue card, then restart the console and open the gateway menu. choose "format emunand".
  6. go into emunand, create an internet connection setting and update the firmware (you have to use a version of the gateway launcher that allows you to do it). be careful to not exit the settings menu at any time, or you will get into realnand and will update that one, if you don't notice it. follow a guide if you don't feel confident.
  7. return in emunand and reconnect your Nintendo Network ID to your console (by opening the eshop). after doing it, exit the eshop and turn off the wifi.
  8. go into realnand and delete the internet connection setting (it was inherited from emunand since the two aren't separated right now).
  9. plug the SD in the computer and make a backup of emunand with emuNAND Tool. in the future, you will have to use this backup to download the dsiware softwares and transfer them to realnand, since it's connected to it (name it so that you can recognize it).
  10. delete the "Nintendo 3DS" folder from the SD card and restore the one you copied in the computer on step #1. after that, restore the emunand backup you made on step #4.
  11. enjoy your separated emunand, in which you can change any setting without it getting reflected in realnand. games downloaded in emunand won't appear in sysnand anymore, too.
notice that if you ever format realnand, your backupped connected emunand (the one for dsiwares) will become useless and you will have to create a new one.

I have only one doubt about the red guide, that is: won't I need to backup the "Nintendo 3DS" folder of the connected emunand, in order to properly restore it in the future to transfer dsiwares to realnand?
I think the guide juins translated explains that we don't have to do it (at the end of it), but I'm not sure if it talks about that.
what do you think?
I'm gonna keep it anyway, just in case.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish I could try this method out but apparently emuNAND Tool doesn't run on my computer for some reason. I am trying to see if I can replicate the red guide using win32diskimager instead. If it works, I'll post what I did differently.

tyons

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think somebody wrote somewhere how to backup emunand with win32diskimager, but I can't remember in which thread...

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Right now I would wager it is true for >99% of Gateway users. Most of the rest are probably either hackers or pirate card manufacturers, maybe with a few who just want one in case they lose their cartridges.

Maybe once homebrew and multirom loaders are more prevalent, that might change.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I was able to swap to an unlinked emunand via win32diskimager, unfortunately it is not possible to move 4 Swords from emuNAND to realNAND on a USA console.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sucks this won't work, I even took my 3DS's life into my hands by installing 2.0b2 or whatever so I could run 7.whatever on emunand and download this. Oh well, maybe someday. Closer than I was a few days ago when there was no way to get the game period if you weren't around when it first was available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.