Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason the Yuzu devs got fucked was because they were distributing switch games on Discord, not because of the emulator itself, which would be 100% legal and there's precedent for that. There's a reason these guys settled - they knew they were fucked.
I'm not sure if there's any concrete proof of that right now, and I don't think the documents mention that either.

If there is proof then... well, it'll make things more sour for sure.

Spectremint

Trophies
Website
spectremint.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
I want to know why a settlement was reached... Never will I guess. However, it seems a bit odd that if emulation is wholly legal, why did Yuzu bow out? Legal fees? The world will never know..
My best guess: they didn't want to risk that legality being tampered with in a court case, so they took the blow to protect emulation legality

Reactions: Kioku

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Amazing. They had enough money to pay that but not to fight it?
I imagine this is a classic utility calculation. They'd have to spend a lot of money to go to court for who knows how many years, with a nontrivial probability of ultimately losing and maybe having to pay at least an order of magnitude more than what they settled for. Depending on the numbers they estimated (and their tolerance for uncertainty), settling could easily yield better expected value.

("Better" as in... smaller negative number, of course)

i mean, its not like its any different now, right?
anyone just has to sue emulator for the same reasons.

Yeah, I think this is one big reason the whole situation feels bleak, regardless of legal precedents.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
My best guess: they didn't want to risk that legality being tampered with in a court case, so they took the blow to protect emulation legality
That is clearly a joke. I'm not sure why anyone would think that. Citra went poof without being targeted? Who do you think will be next to go? You can bet these people are already thinking of quitting the scene.

You people in the emulation scene are pretty pathetic. You shouldn't give in on winning battle.

Last edited by Hassal,
Reactions: Mike_77712

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason the Yuzu devs got fucked was because they were distributing switch games on Discord, not because of the emulator itself, which would be 100% legal and there's precedent for that. There's a reason these guys settled - they knew they were fucked.
What the fuck are you talking about? That never happened.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Sure, the loss of Yuzu is bad, but I'd argue the loss of Citra is even worse. There's no other mature 3DS emulator, whereas for the Switch there was also Ryujinx. If someone doesn't fork or at the very least archive Citra soon, there'll be dark days ahead for 3DS emulation and preservation.
Just thinking about it makes me sick.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
YES!!! Hallelujah 🥳🥳 pirates are now FORCED to start hoping off they lazy asses and get cracking on that denuvo shit! Finally came to bit ya'll in the asses!😁
Okay.... what...

Reactions: 0-volt

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol