Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Amazing. They had enough money to pay that but not to fight it?
If they lost, there may have been a precedent set that would only cause more issues for Emulation down the line. More fine lines to walk, red tape, etc.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
Citra has posted the same announcement as Yuzu on Twitter:

All of their GitHub repositories have also been taken down now, aside from the website code which has also been archived.

That tweet feels so weird to read, It almost like Nintendo lawyers themselves wrote it for them.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If they lost, there may have been a precedent set that would only cause more issues for Emulation down the line. More fine lines to walk, red tape, etc.
i mean, its not like its any different now, right?
anyone just has to sue emulator for the same reasons.

n00bsaib0t

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still in my consious i would disobay that stipulation (and go to jail) because what nintendo wants me to say is flat out false (Do I lie?) yes but i refuse to parrot some ideology of some shitty multibillion dollor company
Sometimes two things are true. Nintendo is a shitty company, that's true. What's also true is that this place, twitter, GameFAQs, Reddit, and every other place where video games are discussed were pissed when rom websites started getting shut down by Nintendo because we're all pirating. Very, very few people are actually backing up their own carts and discs and if I had to make a guess I would say at least half of the people who claim they do are lying about it. The statement also doesn't say "Emulation = Piracy", it says people were using their emulator for piracy and that is 1000% not a lie. Literally nobody playing TOTK before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it. Literally nobody playing Pokemon before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it. Literally nobody playing Mario Wonder before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it. Literally nobody playing Mario RPG before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it.

Like, I have 3tb worth of pirated games. I'm not judging a damn person for pirating, but I am judging people who are too big of a p**** to admit they're pirating and trying to convince themselves that they're not. I'm pissed at Nintendo because this means my fun of playing games before release is gone, not because I've gaslit myself into thinking I was doing nothing illegal.

RetroNerdGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes two things are true. Nintendo is a shitty company, that's true. What's also true is that this place, twitter, GameFAQs, Reddit, and every other place where video games are discussed were pissed when rom websites started getting shut down by Nintendo because we're all pirating. Very, very few people are actually backing up their own carts and discs and if I had to make a guess I would say at least half of the people who claim they do are lying about it. The statement also doesn't say "Emulation = Piracy", it says people were using their emulator for piracy and that is 1000% not a lie. Literally nobody playing TOTK before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it. Literally nobody playing Pokemon before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it. Literally nobody playing Mario Wonder before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it. Literally nobody playing Mario RPG before launch was playing their own legally dumped copy of the damn game and you know it.

Like, I have 3tb worth of pirated games. I'm not judging a damn person for pirating, but I am judging people who are too big of a p**** to admit they're pirating and trying to convince themselves that they're not. I'm pissed at Nintendo because this means my fun of playing games before release is gone, not because I've gaslit myself into thinking I was doing nothing illegal.
Not gonna say much on this but yes, no one playing a game before release was legally playing it for sure. I knew this stuff starting with Metroid Dread bein' up on the internet a week or so before release was gonna bite us all in the butt, and lookie lookie...
Edit: Also am I the only one who remembers some person Nintendo was gonna go apeshit on because they showed a few pictures from the TOTK artbook in the Collectors Edition?
The frak was that about??????

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
well this sucks. Everyone is pointing out the patreon as a smoking gun but I think just as much it was bunnei running their mouth about 0-day release compatibility and using it for pirating purposes and the like. This isn't 1998, you can't just say things on the internet and expect no paper trail to follow you when you're speaking from an official position.

Bright side is that this was a settlement not a full trial verdict, so there's precedent set for ninty to go after everybody else on even flimsier grounds. Also as many have said, yuzu is open source, it's only a matter of time before someone forks the code and we see like "cantaloupe" emu or something from people not from the original yuzu team.

I'm bummed, and it's real crappy for the devs, but things could have been a lot worse for us on the user end.
I also think patreon has little to nothing to do with this, more like they want to set an example of one person to put fear into the other. Now see the other emulator shut down by default without resistance and before this company gets to them. This is exactly what they want.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Tsushinoko

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason the Yuzu devs got fucked was because they were distributing switch games on Discord, not because of the emulator itself, which would be 100% legal and there's precedent for that. There's a reason these guys settled - they knew they were fucked.

Reactions: cloud-strife777

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Honestly surprised they didn't make a tie in game for Predators that movie was awesome
    I was kinda sad the Yakuza guy died sword fighting a predator lol
    The Russian guy went out like a boss
    Double claymores to the face definitely kill a predator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went today and looked at a motorcycle someone was selling. I get there and the battery on it was dead, so the guy grabbed a battery charger and hooked it up. He plugged it into the wall, and the motorcycle sparked and started smoking. Come to find out the bike uses a 6 volt battery and the guy had the charger set to 12v. I said sorry to the dude and walked away. I felt bad for him tho.
    Sounds like it would be an exciting ride....
    Not sure I would want something on fire between my legs
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He ruined it basically. Sad cause it was a decent old bike. It would take more money to rewire the bike than it was worth tho.
    Yeah I'm sure at minimum the starter was fried
    Alternator and battery
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Prob alot of fried parts. It was still smoking when I left.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I would've said show me how it rides
    I always wanted one of those Smart Cars with a Hyabusa motor in it.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm getting sick and tired of cheap ass baking pans now
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think it be cool to have one that would fit in my pickup truck bed, then I could put down ramps n drive it off.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Used this one 5 times already impossible to clean
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need the $900 copper coated ones, they are good for 10 times cooking before they are un cleanable
    Condoms are only meant to be used once Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Well damn that explains how you were born
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I tried Cavier for the first time today. That shit is nasty. Don't get why people like it.
    Eh it's good with Vodka and crackers
    Gotta have the whole experience
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gotta have the whole experience