YouTube on the 3DS will end service after 02/09/2019

PicsArt_07-30-02.36.47.png
The 3DS has been around for quite some time, and with Nintendo and third parties alike dropping support for this handheld, in due time streaming services will be affected.

Originally having launched way back in 29/11/2013, the YouTube app served as the only means of accessing the popular video-sharing network until the advent of the newer iteration 3DS units (that came to be known as the New Nintendo 3DS).

Minus the quirks, slow load times and grainy quality of videos it was widely used by 3DS fans, in spite of that. The YouTube app caught a lot of attention during the early days of the 3DS scene, by being used as an entry point for homebrew, namely TubeHax.

But much like with the Wii, the 3DS family of systems are no exception as time runs its course and therefore the YouTube app's span came to an end.

Nintendo 3DS users are receiving news notifications officially by Nintendo on their systems informing them about the closure of said service. The statement reads as follows:

The YouTube app all no longer be available for download after 12 :00 CEST on 02/09/2019

Additionally, from 03/09/2019 you will no longer be able to use this application.

You can still use YouTube via internet browser on the following systems if you enable "Use mobile versions" setting:

-New Nintendo 3DS
-New Nintendo 3DS XL
-New Nintendo 2DS
-New Nintendo 2DS XL

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Nintendo eShop team.

Some users over at Reddit reportedly are facing issues with the YouTube app on their 3DSs.

Whilst the 3DS app is being discontinued, you can still watch YouTube on your system, but only if you own the New editions of the 3DS/2DS by means of accessing the website and requesting a mobile version of YouTube, like aforementioned in the statement.

2019-07-30_17-49-56.121_bot.jpg

But if you're using an old model of said systems, you're out of luck and should consider moving on to something else, more recent that supports YouTube.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by Quantumcat,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Still have my old 3DS XL, still robust and runs very well ... although little new games releases.

Nintendo killed their own product with their own product, because of their decision to make Switch a hybrid handled console.
That's like saying Sony killed the PS3 with the PS4. As much as Nintendo tried to say "no no this Switch is the Wii U replacement, go buy more 3DS consoles pls", the Switch most certainly is its replacement.

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In defense of watching YouTube on the 3DS, you obviously have 3D videos, but the 3DS screen is absolutely wonderful for watching videos of sprite-based games. There are quite a lot of Zelda Classic LPs, and they look great when watched on the 3DS screen. It's closer visually to when you play those kinds of games on the older televisions they were designed for compared to on a modern HDTV. And I don't just mean the resolution, it seems to be something about the screen itself.

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once all the streaming apps on the wii u stop, im gonna be seeing wii u's in the thrift stores.. Its gonna be great
In the future entire games will not be playable as they are not supported. Because you dont own the game.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once all the streaming apps on the wii u stop, im gonna be seeing wii u's in the thrift stores.. Its gonna be great
In the future entire games will not be playable as they are not supported. Because you dont own the game.

Screw licenses, people are just going to pirate games anyway. That won't stop people from obtaining them otherwise, no thanks to these flawed licenses.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Mythical,
Reactions: wiewiec

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...