Gaming Your prediction for Pokemon 8th Gen

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It will be Switch exclusive. No doubt.

I think it will be more open world than the previous games.
Gamefreak already announced it won't be as expansive as one might hope.

I predict this time it will be released as two complementary games: Pokemon Money and Pokemon Print.
It's on the switch, so naturally it will be "Pokemon On" and "Pokemon Off"

In my opinion, the game will be very great and memorable (as the first installments on a new console for pokemon have proven to have been).
I feel like gyms will return, as the island challenge is more of a tradition kind of thing.
I'm expecting the game to be geared a little more towards the veterans, rather than the casual players with the more recent titles, as the switch seems to be marketed towards an older audience. Honestly, I cried inside when the berry farmers from X/Y said alolan berrys are better since you don't have to do anything. (I liked farming them).
I would hope they stop dumming down features like that, and fishing, and sweet scent just to name a few.

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamefreak already announced it won't be as expansive as one might hope.

It's on the switch, so naturally it will be "Pokemon On" and "Pokemon Off"

In my opinion, the game will be very great and memorable (as the first installments on a new console for pokemon have proven to have been).
I feel like gyms will return, as the island challenge is more of a tradition kind of thing.
I'm expecting the game to be geared a little more towards the veterans, rather than the casual players with the more recent titles, as the switch seems to be marketed towards an older audience. Honestly, I cried inside when the berry farmers from X/Y said alolan berrys are better since you don't have to do anything. (I liked farming them).
I would hope they stop dumming down features like that, and fishing, and sweet scent just to name a few.

Don't get your hopes up I doubt they will make it centered for veterans and older audience who wants more difficulty what they should do is add a harder difficulty mode once you beat the game or have the option at the start. Therefore it'll tend to both.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't get your hopes up I doubt they will make it centered for veterans and older audience who wants more difficulty what they should do is add a harder difficulty mode once you beat the game or have the option at the start. Therefore it'll tend to both.
Honestly I don't care too much about difficulty, I want content. The reason Platinum is still my favorite, is stuff like Battle Frontier, Pokeradar, underground/bases, ball capsules, contests, etc. They did say that ORAS didn't have the battle frontier because of the target demographic. I wouldn't say I'm getting my hopes up a lot, but I speculate it's atleast going to be good.

supercarotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Honestly I don't care too much about difficulty, I want content. The reason Platinum is still my favorite, is stuff like Battle Frontier, Pokeradar, underground/bases, ball capsules, contests, etc. They did say that ORAS didn't have the battle frontier because of the target demographic. I wouldn't say I'm getting my hopes up a lot, but I speculate it's atleast going to be good.
Target audience is why SM has so little story content. My guess is that Nintendo chose to aim at children because they are less likely to have hacked consoles than older players. Unfortunately, a game for younger audiences means less story and difficulty.
USUM is a bit better difficulty-wise, but still has huge flaws in it's storytelling (like, when UBs appear in front of each Kahuna for an epic fight, of which you'll never see or hear again. Hell, even Tili faces one and he doesn't even capture it when you battle him afterwards). Team Rainbow is great, but aside from that USUM is basically SM with smaller holes in the plot, 2 minigames and a bunch of side quests. Want a better example ? Look at the anime we got for XY&Z ND the one we got for SM. I can't stand it, but my little brother loves the new one.

3ds piracy killed gen 6&7, that's why I hope that Pokémon for Switch will be what Pokémon Z should have been. The latest movie seems to show Ninty wants to aim at older fans again, so I hope it won't be killed by an early B9S on the Switch or something.
I don't care for open worlds, I don't want a new mechanic either just an improvement of the existing ones (more Megas and better Z loves ?), a few but inspired new Pokemon and a fulfilling story. Basically, imagine Pokémon XD but 8th gen and with BOTW's gameplay (probably dreaming for that last one).

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think GF announced gen 7 is the last main Pokemon game for 3DS. It'll be Switch from here to the next console release.

I'm also sure GF said "Don't get your hopes up", so there probably won't be a "make Pokemon great again" title 80% of people are hoping for. There will probably be about 50-60 new 'mon. Alolan forms are done, so maybe they'll introduce some kind of 'mon that can fuse its DNA to other Pokemon to make new combinations, i.e. a Ditto evolution that changes Alomomola from a Water-type to a Water/Psychic-type.

You probably won't see any new megas or Z-moves. You'll probably get new held items that might act like Z-moves. You'll probably get gyms again, but with a twist; maybe 12 gyms with Elite 6. The villains will probably be some sort of scientists that are the direct cause of this new mutated evolution, but the story might have a branching choice where you decide to help the evolution of 'mon or go against the scientists for the purity of evolution.

As for the meta, there will probably be a new battling system, but no more Battle Royal.

Other than those, your 'mon will walk behind you and there will be more photo opportunities.

Don't forget that GF took years to really work with 3DS to get to the point we're at now, so a new system might take a while for GF to understand limitations and how to utilize the hardware for optimizations.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
- Game will be released in 2019. I don't believe that Gamefreak will make the next game in less than year, not if people want it to be good. They have not only new ideas, plot and mechanics to design, but also rewrite probably like 95% of the engine, considering that it's new console completely different from its predecessor. There's just too much to do for 2018 release.

- If they realy will try to release it in 2018, the game will end probably short, linear and half-baked... like XY. I mean, i love gen VI and i enjoyed it personaly more than VII, but i must agree that there was a lot of problems in it, and gen VIII will be similiar if they will rush it.

- Region will be probably based on China. In 2015 China lifted the ban on gaming consoles and we seen Gamefreak's response for it already in SM in language options. China is pretty huge market and doing a "fanservice" like that for them seems quite natural now. Tho Australia would be waaaay more interesting.

- We will get either new Gym replacements or return of leaders. Totem fights works in-theme with Alola, but would totaly not work with less tropical regions.

- For the same reason Z-Crystals, a gimmick directly bounded with Tapus, will be available either in post game or forgotten at all. There's bigger chance for return of Mega Evolution (but more balanced) than Z-Moves.

- Regional variants, but this time not limited to Kantomons.

- ...Personaly i like the smaller number of new Pokemon, so again we will get something like 70-80 new mons + some regional variants + new megas and alternate forms.

Overall i'm not too overhyped. The announcement overall for me feels kinda forced by fans' backlash after the reveal of USUM than something planned.

Oh, also - If Pokemon Switch1/Switch2 will be released in 2019, we will get Diamond/Pearl remakes in 2020.

Last edited by Kigiru,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, being serious if it releases on the Switch it shouldn't be called Pokemon anymore, more like Mailbagmon, or Backpackmon.
It's called pokemon cause the pokemon in the actual game can be in pokeballs that fit in there pockets, It's not pokemon in correlation to the game fitting in your pocket, though heck, I can still fit a switch in my pocket

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's called pokemon cause the pokemon in the actual game can be in pokeballs that fit in there pockets, It's not pokemon in correlation to the game fitting in your pocket, though heck, I can still fit a switch in my pocket
well, the original 2ds cant fit in any pocket i think

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unless it has any of my waifus im not interested
maybe youll discover a new waifu in the 8th gen game?
remember in botw? paya i think?
well she became a waifu to many and she wasnt in any previous game :P

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E