Hacking Xenoblade X - In the recent light.

Would you rather have patch for Japanese version than play the localized version?

• Total voters

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game was developed in Japan. Various language nuances amd connotations are naturally lost in translation, even aside from all the censorship.

Unless you speak Japanese, you're not going to pick up on such nuances, though, and thus might as well stick with English voices.

Reactions: ByteBite

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen, I do think that censorship is very stupid, especially when something gets released one way in one part of the world and edited in another. But at the end of the day, if all that is being altered are character's ages (in number only), sexy costumes, and the ability to adjust the size of females' busts, I think I'll be able to get by. What is being censored isn't changing the overall experience at all in my opinion, a character with smaller boobs and a less sexy outfit can still have a very fun adventure. Frankly, if I want boobs and sexual inuendo, video games are not the first place I'm looking to, to get my kicks off.

While I'd like this kind of censorship to stop, at the end of the day, the changes being made are having no effect on my experience playing through the games.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Unless you speak Japanese, you're not going to pick up on such nuances, though, and thus might as well stick with English voices.
Why watch a french movie in it's original voices you are not going to understand it so better take a dub anyway am I right? Also some people do get at least nuance, or character involvement from the voice still. Dub sometimes fails with this; i seen cases where a dub changes a happy go lucky character into snarky bitch and so on. Some people just prefer to have their games how they were originally made; For me it is not Just having Japanese games in Japanese, I love Metro 2033 in Russian, and so on.

I am just sorry but your line there is borderline ignorant.

Listen, I do think that censorship is very stupid, especially when something gets released one way in one part of the world and edited in another. But at the end of the day, if all that is being altered are character's ages (in number only), sexy costumes, and the ability to adjust the size of females' busts, I think I'll be able to get by. What is being censored isn't changing the overall experience at all in my opinion, a character with smaller boobs and a less sexy outfit can still have a very fun adventure. Frankly, if I want boobs and sexual inuendo, video games are not the first place I'm looking to, to get my kicks off.

While I'd like this kind of censorship to stop, at the end of the day, the changes being made are having no effect on my experience playing through the games.

Sure, to me personally it is mainly just the audio, but there is people who could prefer it completely original way and if given the change; I would take that too. I have nothing against the localized version, will pick it up eventually but if given change; I just play the original Japanese game with English text.

It is really easy to go "well it is just boobs right? That should be thrown away" and wherever the line goes. Yakuza games had even more than that cut just for same reasoning "It is just japanese culture minigames" and so on. You can qualify anything with qualifier "It is just X" but at the end of day there is one fact:
The makers of the game put everything they wanted into the game and put it in there for a reason. Frankly one's artistic vision; be it whatever, should not be 2nd to whatever someone else feels that should be. It can be insignificant but there should be no reason to sanitize art for any reason. That is just me.

Like said; To me I also can enjoy the game without the content; I just have this principle for myself. I mainly would borderline require the original Japanese audio because that is How I like it, with Project Zero, with other Japanese games; Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii, Even Metro games in Russian and so on.

Reactions: Azel

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Who says I don't?
If you do, you should probably get a Japanese Wii U and game and who knows, perhaps also realize you are not the target of the localized or translated game.
Half of that problem would be solved if the Wii U wasn't region locked.

PS: I have also loved undubs and original Japanese VA time ago when western dubs were shit.
But this dub sounds good from the videos theyve released, even better than the original. Why so against it?
PS2: Or just buy the original and play it on loadiine, I am doing that and the Japanese VA is nothing out of this world.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: ByteBite

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why watch a french movie in it's original voices you are not going to understand it so better take a dub anyway am I right? Also some people do get at least nuance, or character involvement from the voice still. Dub sometimes fails with this; i seen cases where a dub changes a happy go lucky character into snarky bitch and so on. Some people just prefer to have their games how they were originally made; For me it is not Just having Japanese games in Japanese, I love Metro 2033 in Russian, and so on.

I am just sorry but your line there is borderline ignorant.
Movies are quite different from animated media (cartoons, games) in that dubbing a movie just FEELS wrong, because the lipsync is wrong. For games, this isn't nearly as much of a problem, since A. you can change the lipsync B. it wasn't 100% correct in the first place. There is nothing inherently wrong with game dubs, as long as they're done well.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
why trying to justify your choice?
let people who prefer undubs to play their games this way or watch original movies, and let other people who prefer dubs use dubs.
Why do games even have dual audio? or even DVD and movies? let people choose. you don't need to force them listen to YOUR audio choice.

I like original audio and watch movies the way it's meant to be, in the original language. being Spanish, English or Romanian, I don't care.
"you don't understand it anyway" is a false excuse as words are not the only things transmitted in a message, and like sumea said, dubbers sometime fail to keep the original intention.
sometime it's well translated and dubbed, sometime not. just let every one pick the version they prefer.

Reactions: Sakitoshi

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
why trying to justify your choice?
let people who prefer undubs to play their games this way or watch original movies, and let other people who prefer dubs use dubs.
Why do games even have dual audio? or even DVD and movies? let people choose. you don't need to force them listen to YOUR audio choice.

I like original audio and watch movies the way it's meant to be, in the original language. being Spanish, English or Romanian, I don't care.
"you don't understand it anyway" is a false excuse as words are not the only things transmitted in a message, and like sumea said, dubbers sometime fail to keep the original intention.
sometime it's well translated and dubbed, sometime not. just let every one pick the version they prefer.
No quote, but I suppose it is directed to me.
I don't see a need to justify the drama put into the topic, and the drama is what I am going against, not the choice of undub or not.
One thing is to prefer the undub and original content, other thing is to say that they have ripped the game apart with the localization just because it has a well-done but English dub and they removed a shitty bust slider and some costumes.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I like changing the breast size. I mean hello? Breasts!

Droopy breasts, dense breasts, firm breasts, huge breasts - there is obviously a difference in gameplay and physics.

Reactions: Sakitoshi

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like changing the breast size. I mean hello? Breasts!

Droopy breasts, dense breasts, firm breasts, huge breasts - there is obviously a difference in gameplay and physics.
Me too, and it is a downgrade, but not such a downgrade to even get annoyed about. (much less justify the ongoing drama)

Reactions: Bimmel

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it wasn't directed at you (more at tbb043 and arras, but not only)
it was globally, to everyone trying to justify why dub is better than original audio and that people shouldn't listen to a language they don't understand.
it felt like they are trying hard to make people change their mind :P

I just feel like "everybody is free to do what he/she likes". you can give your opinion, but not tell what is better or not for someone else.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Me too, and it is a downgrade, but not such a downgrade to even get annoyed about. (much less justify the ongoing drama)
You are right, there is no need in drama here.

This censorship is almost normal, but with the right tools someone can surely fix this in the future.

poppop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not on topic but how would the file be implemented in a way that loadiine can use? What if xeno x is like a few other games where they changed the amount of audio files between versions?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Movies are quite different from animated media (cartoons, games) in that dubbing a movie just FEELS wrong, because the lipsync is wrong. For games, this isn't nearly as much of a problem, since A. you can change the lipsync B. it wasn't 100% correct in the first place. There is nothing inherently wrong with game dubs, as long as they're done well.
This. Animation is not the same as live-action. Dubbing with animation generally comes down to the quality of the dub since even the original language is dubbed anyways. In this case, the game takes place on an American colony (for lack of a better term), so American English is the best way to give a proper feel to the characters.

it wasn't directed at you (more at tbb043 and arras, but not only)
it was globally, to everyone trying to justify why dub is better than original audio and that people shouldn't listen to a language they don't understand.
it felt like they are trying hard to make people change their mind :P

For me, it comes down often to the medium and the quality. For live-action movies, I tend to prefer original audio with subtitles because the original audio is actually what you're getting from the actor and the scene right there in front of you which includes lip-sync, but also the activity being performed and how that affects performance. Even in the case of early Jackie Chan movies where he dubbed himself, the dubbings felt out of place because there's a difference between what is recorded in the studio and what is recorded on film including active participation in the action scene; trying to throw in action grunts from the studio is just not as fluid as the actual thing.

In the case of animated works, I'm usually quite happy with the dub as long as it's well done. The original audio there is itself a dub, so it does not have the same inherent quality advantage that the live-action original audio has. I absolutely understand the desire for the language spoken in game to match the atmosphere; you'd expect characters in the Russian Metro system to speak Russian, and you'd expect characters in Japan to speak Japanese. I can also see why someone would desire the original dubbings for something that takes place in a fantasy land, though it probably would not be my choice. However I find it odd to prefer a dub of a language you don't speak for a real place that doesn't speak that language while the other option is the correct language for the place which is also the language you speak. Aside from the obvious advantage of being able to understand what they say, the dubbers can bring some some nuance to better fit the culture the characters are supposed to represent.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
that game is tricky :P
original is japanese, but like you said its setting is supposed to be on an American colony.
The game should have been in english spoken language with Japanese subtitles to feel right from the start. but then, the people wouldn't understand the locals with their own language and developers would had to invent a new spoken language (but not impossible, some games did it once : saurian language)

I like movies which use proper language when they travel to another country. in most movie, all the planet (and extraterrestrial being) all speak the same language :P
it's little details that I appreciate when movies keep the language barrier in account.

Reactions: Azel

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
The cultural difference regards female body depiction between Japan and west is abissmal, I'm not going start a moral judgement, I simple find it fascinating how it's practically a non issue in Japan. I guess it's a matter of perspective, really you can't judge one side or another.

poppop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how about lets start talking about file modification instead of petty moral arguments, or we can keep insulting one another and keep calling others pedophiles for no logical reason.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
how about lets start talking about file modification instead of petty moral arguments, or we can keep insulting one another and keep calling others pedophiles for no logical reason.
My first question was how it would work with instalation packs, I guess you still would need japanese packs to avoid adresses problems.

Sumea

Disco Ninja Frog
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
My first question was how it would work with instalation packs, I guess you still would need japanese packs to avoid adresses problems.
I will probably test when Western version is released and it gets dumped (or I strike the rich suddenly and buy it for myself and dump it myself) replacing the audio files. That seems to be simple enough. The other half needs delving inside the magical land of; Inside CPK's. Not that harsh but yeah.

As for audio: They are raw .adx files mostly, one sound package aside which probably is the music of the game more than anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Hmmm it's been a long time since I messed with Retroarch on the PS3 but probably most of the...