XCI installer released by new Switch group 2168-0002

long.png

This new homebrew will allow you to install XCI files directly to your Switch without having to convert them to NSPs first. It is based off the NSP-installer homebrew, Tinfoil by @Adubbz.

What is an XCI file?
An XCI file is a gamecard dump, while an NSP is an installable eShop file. While XCI files can only be played directly with SX OS, they can now be installed just like an NSP on both SX OS and ReiNX.

How does it work?
  • It extracts the NCAs from the XCI file
  • It changes the one byte in the header that differentiates gamecard files and eShop titles
  • It rebuilds the metadata file and sends it to Tinfoil to begin installing (the metadata file describes the other NCAs present in the file)

Precautions
This homebrew is still a WIP.
  • If you use an exFAT-formatted SD card, please back up all your data before using this homebrew, as it has a small chance to corrupt the card.
  • Some XCI files will not work. If you come across any that do not work, please report them in the main discussion thread.

Where can I get it?
  • Gitlab repository is here
  • Official discussion thread is here

Who is 2168-0002?
The members are as follows:

They can be reached by Twitter at @2168_0002 and can be identified on GBAtemp by their signatures. There are more projects in the pipeline.

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 3,487
Last edited by Quantumcat,

henkp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is that group name related to the switch network error code implying some more net-related tricks up their sleeve, or have I been watching too much detectives?:unsure:

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
I just finished restoring history of ZeroTwoXCI! Let me know if something seems wrong. I'll try to use dedbae as a submodule now.

Is that group name related to the switch network error code implying some more net-related tricks up their sleeve, or have I been watching too much detectives?:unsure:
2168-0002 is just a common error on libnx (also 2162-0002), a rather nondescript one too. Confuses and annoys a bunch of devs.

I was originally going to name our internal discord "404 name not found", but it seemed way too edgy etc, and the error code-based name idea led to the name 2168-0002.

ferrums

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ferrums.de
XP
Country
Germany
Does it convert the card key too into a title key or is a ticket needed for using it legit?

So for example if I install a own card dump, did it count as legit game when I play online or is the key nulled?

Last edited by ferrums,

illegalmexican

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mario Kart 8 works, however mario Tennis output an error:

Error i get:
Failed to install XCI
Openfile: 121 : Failed to open file/tinfoil/zerotwoxci/ncas/
Error code: 0X00000202

Im wondering if anyone has the same problem ?
prod.keys is at the root of the SD card

Haise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting that same error when trying to install My Hero One's Justice or Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I was able to install Xenoblade Chronicles 2 perfectly fine though.

Haise

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting this error. Was trying to reinstall My Hero Aca after I got locked out of it from updating to 6.0.

Attachments

• 2018091916531000-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
    2018091916531000-DB1426D1DFD034027CECDE9C2DD914B8.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 275

Rasis

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I get still Errors on different installations for example Splatoon 2 or Puyo Puyo tried it also with different dumps.

It all went well but already at the end it says " the xci installation failed maybe caused by a dumped file" ( tried 4 different xci for Splatoon 2)

Other games for example Mario tennis, Mario Party, mega man 11 went without any issues and all are playable. Except for the warning: "ticket installation failed! This may not be an issue" I think that's normal on xci installation or isn't it?

Regards

Last edited by Rasis,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT