Xbox One backwards compatibility list only contains 21 games so far

Microsoft has published the list of games that, as of June 2015, function with the backwards compatibility system allowing you to play Xbox 360 games on the Xbox one. There are only 21 games supported so far, and most of them aren't even full retail games (games such as Hexic HD, Alien Hominid, etc. are only sold on the online Xbox marketplace). This is all part of a Preview program for now, only a small selection of gamers are allowed to join in as it is invite-based.
  • A kingdom for keflings
  • A world of keflings
  • Alien hominid
  • Banjo kazooie
  • Banjo kazooie nuts n bolts
  • Banjo tooie
  • BattleBlock theater
  • Defense grid
  • Geometry wars evolved
  • Hexic HD
  • Jetpac refuelled
  • Kameo
  • Mass effect
  • Perfect Dark
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Small Arms
  • Super Meat boys
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy soldiers Cold War
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: trouble in paradise
Let's hope the list will get bigger quickly or this backwards compatibility announcement will quickly fall flat! In fact, if there are specific 360 games that you want to be able to play on your Xbox One, check out this survey run by Microsoft themselves. Right now Red Dead Redemption is at the top of the list, so there are good chances this title will be added to the list in the coming months.

Source: Xbox.com

xbone.jpg

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason Nintendo BC works 100% of the time is because they have the old hardware built into their consoles.
They don't emulate anything they just play them. However this is a very expensive way of doing BC. Your console either ends up costing 599$ like the PS3 did on launch or your tech is going to be outdated because you cut the price on the tech. Which evidently is what Nintendo does.
So no when talking about BC we don't talk about 100% of previous titles working.
Nintendo doesn't have the old hardware in their (home) consoles, it's just built on an upgraded version of the previous system, much like my intel core i7 doesn't include a second processor for IA-32 legacy instructions, but rather the AMD-64 architecture has those instructions built into it making it backwards compatible.

On the handheld front, however, my understanding is that the GBA had extra hardware for backwards compatibility until the Micro when it did away with BC. Same with the DS and GBA backwards compatibility.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can't realistically sit there and demand EVERY single game playable on day 1 of release either - in the real world (and mentioned before on here, not just from me either) there's licensing issues: 3rd party games - in game licensed music tracks and the like.
The only reason Nintendo BC works 100% of the time is because they have the old hardware built into their consoles.
They don't emulate anything they just play them. However this is a very expensive way of doing BC. Your console either ends up costing 599$ like the PS3 did on launch or your tech is going to be outdated because you cut the price on the tech. Which evidently is what Nintendo does.
So no when talking about BC we don't talk about 100% of previous titles working.

Tell this to PSVita, which has a different architecture than PSP and has full backward compatibility since day one.

He didn't say "weak", he said "low quality". The PS3 suffered from the YLOD, the PS2 had the Disc Read Errors, and I read the PSX had problems with FMV causing the system to overheat, warp the plastic and then cause read errors.

Also, anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much.
tbh all consoles have had their share of issues ever since the PS2 era, doing console repairs, ever since the switch to optical media there has always been the problem of burnt out lasers, which are quite common across all consoles, then there is the PSP analogue stick which is/was prone to failure and ended up being sporadic on many consoles (walking around on itself), and both thee the launch xbox 360 consoles and launch PS3 consoles where prone to overheating resulting in the RROD and YLOD, although it was more common with the 360, there is still a unreasonable number of PS3 YLOD faults, but dead lasers seem to be quite a bit more common on the PS3 too......in comparison the nintendo wii was the only console that was quite rare to have faults that rendered it useless (but ofc the lower specs where most likely the cause for that)

i think at this point, the 360 slim and ps3 slim are probably about on par for reliability, and so far the only major common hardware faults between the PS4 and XBONE where the DOA PS4 units that had apparently been "sabotaged" by people being forced to make them....personally i wouldnt buy any of the launch consoles put out by MS or sony, it always boils down to cost for the first batch and corners are always cut for the first batches

The amount of PS3 with YLOD is minimal.
If we were talking about something massive like the 3RLoD that would make sense,
but blaming Sony on poor hardware for some minimal errors that occur with every kind of eletronic just doesn't feel right.
Also, the Wii uses a low quality Disk reader and I've seem plenty of cases that this reader just stop becomes defective.
All companies have their share of problems with hardware, but as long it's not sistematic like RLoD it's acceptable.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tell this to PSVita, which has a different architecture than PSP and has full backward compatibility since day one.
Coz the PSP and Vita have their own Kinect & Rock Band controllers don't they.....:lol: Not to piss on the Vita as I have one myself, think it's great, and of course know the BC is an achievement, but that is a COMPLETELY different kettle of fish....
Oh, and

HAHAHAAA! Good one sunshine! Try to retype your post in a realistic manner next time:

"The amount of PS3's with the YLOD is comparatively few"
See? The point was still made and actually truthful there too...;) 'minimal' - :lol:

Got on the Preview Program anyway! Well, my youngest lad did, but I can use the features... Not tried Mass Effect yet, and I believe it won't work anyway as it's apparently only the North American version that does, but I've tried Banjo, BattleBlock and Meat Boy - lengthy initial load times (expected, and not that intrusive though) but otherwise nearly perfect! Missing textures on Banjo's eyelids on the intro video :lol: (still brown though so nothing like Devil Bear on the Wii N64 emulator!), and that's it - impressive! Looking forward to that list of titles growing!

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Coz the PSP and Vita have their own Kinect & Rock Band controllers don't they.....:lol: Not to piss on the Vita as I have one myself, think it's great, and of course know the BC is an achievement, but that is a COMPLETELY different kettle of fish....
Oh, and

You talk like there are just few titles not working on X1 that were from X360 and the original Xbox, and that they're just special cases where there are accessories involved, but that's far from the truth. Even if we get to the 100 titles promised, it will be a disappointment and close to nothing to the huge library that is the X360 library and even less when included the original Xbox library

HAHAHAAA! Good one sunshine! Try to retype your post in a realistic manner next time:

"The amount of PS3's with the YLOD is comparatively few"
See? The point was still made and actually truthful there too...;) 'minimal' - :lol:

How many of the PS3 that have been manufactured have had YLOD? How many in percentage? 5%? Less.
When we compare to the total amount of PS3s ever made, the number of ones that had YLOD is minimal.

Because every single PSP game is on the Vita :P
Sure it can run each game but only if you hacked the system

Vita can run all of the PSP games, Vita is truly backward compatible.
With X1, it seems the game are been ported or emulated in a different way, it seems far from a true backward compability

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How many of the PS3 that have been manufactured have had YLOD? How many in percentage? 5%? Less.
When we compare to the total amount of PS3s ever made, the number of ones that had YLOD is minimal.
The YLOD may have been less prevalent than the travesty that was the 360 and its RROD, but it was still very significant.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

If we were talking about something massive like the 3RLoD that would make sense,
but blaming Sony on poor hardware for some minimal errors that occur with every kind of eletronic just doesn't feel right.
Also, the Wii uses a low quality Disk reader and I've seem plenty of cases that this reader just stop becomes defective.
All companies have their share of problems with hardware, but as long it's not sistematic like RLoD it's acceptable.
i think peoples perception of "minimal" or acceptable has been warped by companies, imho no console should have such design flaws as the original PS3 and xbox360, im sure they have plenty of hardware designers who could tell them exactly what kind of airflow they would need to keep the hardware they are packing in working order and an appropriate temperature, but both sony and microsoft put aesthetics above function and reliability, I'm pretty sure that the design meetings probably go "will it last as long as the warranty?" which is just making sure they are covered as that is the most important thing rather than "are the users who go out and buy these consoles at launch getting a console that is going to last the lifetime of the console generation" ....i mean if you look at what used to be acceptable,the likes of snes/atari/mega drive, most of those are still alive and kicking today, i would love to know how many launch xbox 360's and PS3 actually make it to end of life, never mind 20+ years after the end of the generation

and yeah if the YLOD was so minimal it wouldn't have its own acronym to go along with the condition, and as i said it was mainly the launch units that suffer the issues, so despite it being say only 5%, that's still millions of consoles prematurely dying, which imo isn't really "acceptable".....especially when they always ensure the consoles are build just well enough to ensure these faults won't arise until after your warranty has expired

Last edited by gamesquest1,

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i think peoples perception of "minimal" or acceptable has been warped by companies, imho no console should have such design flaws as the original PS3 and xbox360, im sure they have plenty of hardware designers who could tell them exactly what kind of airflow they would need to keep the hardware they are packing in working order and an appropriate temperature, but both sony and microsoft put aesthetics above function and reliability, I'm pretty sure that the design meetings probably go "will it last as long as the warranty?" which is just making sure they are covered as that is the most important thing rather than "are the users who go out and buy these consoles at launch getting a console that is going to last the lifetime of the console generation" ....i mean if you look at what used to be acceptable,the likes of snes/atari/mega drive, most of those are still alive and kicking today, i would love to know how many launch xbox 360's and PS3 actually make it to end of life, never mind 20+ years after the end of the generation

Try looking at a motherboard of a SNES/Atari/Mega-Drive and one of PS3/X360.
There are tons of pieces in the circuits of PS3 and X360, that there is almost no space left.
But with these old consoles, the pieces are really distant from each other,
making the console overheat is almost impossible.
The amount of consoles having problems is getting bigger just because the complexity of those systems is also getting bigger.

The YLOD may have been less prevalent than the travesty that was the 360 and its RROD, but it was still very significant.

Significant is subjective

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
There are tons of pieces in the circuits of PS3 and X360, that there is almost no space left.
The amount of consoles having problems is getting bigger just because the complexity of those systems is also getting bigger.
the point im trying to make is they rush into stuff despite being fully aware that what they are building will not last, which is why i never buy into the launch date hype, i know all people are doing is rushing to buy a console that you pay more for and will inevitably fail alot sooner than the later revisions.

and both sony and MS do that

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problems get bigger because they are poorly engineered with a focus on Moar Powar! instead of reliability. If the console you designed is overheating it's not because "gee, things are so complex these days and there's nothing we can do about it!", its because it was designed with insufficient air-flow, cheap solder that melts at relatively low temperatures, and/or a processor that's running too hot. A simple engineering solution to the PS3 and 360's overheating problems would have been to clock them lower so they produced less heat. I've long held that those consoles were too powerful for their time, and it resulted not only in high cost of the console, but as history has shown, a high failure rate due to over-heating.

If I build a PC and overclock the shit out of the CPU and GPU and it starts overheating, my response shouldn't be "oh well, these things happen on modern PCs." The response should be "Gee, looks like my cooling was insufficient or perhaps I pushed the hardware too hard." These things don't magically overheat; they overheat because they were poorly engineered.

Reactions: gamesquest1

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The problems get bigger because they are poorly engineered with a focus on Moar Powar! instead of reliability. If the console you designed is overheating it's not because "gee, things are so complex these days and there's nothing we can do about it!", its because it was designed with insufficient air-flow, cheap solder that melts at relatively low temperatures, and/or a processor that's running too hot. A simple engineering solution to the PS3 and 360's overheating problems would have been to clock them lower so they produced less heat. I've long held that those consoles were too powerful for their time, and it resulted not only in high cost of the console, but as history has shown, a high failure rate due to over-heating.

If I build a PC and overclock the shit out of the CPU and GPU and it starts overheating, my response shouldn't be "oh well, these things happen on modern PCs." The response should be "Gee, looks like my cooling was insufficient or perhaps I pushed the hardware too hard." These things don't magically overheat; they overheat because they were poorly engineered.

My point was that it wasn't that the old consoles were fantastically engineered, it's just that the circuits were simpler so they had almost no worry about overheating.

You're right about the PS3 and 360, they should be better engineered in order to not overheat, but remember I never said otherwise.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
My point was that it wasn't that the old consoles were fantastically engineered, it's just that the circuits were simpler so they had almost no worry about overheating.

You're right about the PS3 and 360, they should be better engineered in order to not overheat, but remember I never said otherwise.
well the truth is even older consoles had to deal with heating, granted it was on a lesser scale, but the same principles apply, i.e do we pack everything in really close and be like "wow tiny console", or do we use hardware thats fit for use and make sure the case isn't like someone just shrink wrapped a PCB

truth is the saying is true, they really dont make them like they used to, its all just more more more and prettier smaller quieter.....so unfortunately reliability is left in the wayside if they find out that having the CPU run 20° higher means they can shave 2mm off the dimensions

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Simple engineering is underrated, sometimes. It's not like the SNES couldn't have been overclocked which would have resulted in overheating. I mean, if you look at it, Nintendo's been in the game since the 1980s and haven't had the same overheating issues. The NES-N64 all ran cold enough to be passively cooled. They started using active cooling since then, but even still, their consoles run cool. They err on the side of stability and low power consumption over Moar Powar!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
If Microsoft can add BC to the Xbox One, why can't Sony do the same? Isn't the reasoning behind both originally lacking BC due to CPU architecture differentials?
i think its a matter of if they can be arsed to make an emulator for it or if they would prefer to not do that and focus on making HD remakes....so coding a emulator that creates minimal new sales VS waiting a few years then selling you the same game again with HD textures, seeing as both systems are in their infancy and dont have many decent games to offer i would say BC is a good idea, but then again sony are currently leading the race so i think they would prefer the resell you the same games a few years down the line instead.....if MS would of been in the lead i think the roles would of been reversed on the BC front

this move from MS imo is simply designed to encourge360 users to choose a xbox one over a PS4, as atm with no backwards compatibility there is zero reason for 360 owners to choose a xbox one over a PS4 either way they have to start their collection from scratch

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Playstation Now never promised backward compatibility, just a way to play some games from previous generations.
When we talk about backward compatibility, that means 100% of the previous titles will work, or at least close to.
That's not backward compatibility, they're probably just porting some Xbox and X360 games to X1,
just like Sony did with some Playstation 2 games on Playstation 3, do you understand now why I'm disappointed?
This was just a dirty trick to get attention at E3.

Exept Xbox is releasing it for FREEEEEEEEE and ps2 classics cost money even if you already own them. In my eyes that's a big WIN ! ;)

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Vita can run all of the PSP games, Vita is truly backward compatible.
With X1, it seems the game are been ported or emulated in a different way, it seems far from a true backward compability
Like I said only once you hack the console. The PSP library on PSN is missing tons of titles and the PSP UMD sadly won't fit into Vita's cartridge slot.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Like I said only once you hack the console. The PSP library on PSN is missing tons of titles and the PSP UMD sadly won't fit into Vita's cartridge slot.

There are some titles that are not on PSN due to copyrights mostly but the fact that they can be run on a hacked Vita is enough to prove it's backward compatible, also the fact that the performance of the games have not changed is also enough prove.
I remember someone saying here on the post that backward compatible games on X1 have a longlasting loading before they can be played,
which is also enough prove that there's no true backward compatibility.

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There are some titles that are not on PSN due to copyrights mostly but the fact that they can be run on a hacked Vita is enough to prove it's backward compatible, also the fact that the performance of the games have not changed is also enough prove.
I remember someone saying here on the post that backward compatible games on X1 have a longlasting loading before they can be played,
I wonder when You'll notice that I'm not disagreeing with you.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah, but it stands to reason, coding an emulator that makes you sales would be more important than coding an emulator that pretty much just allows people to play their old games on the new system with no additional purchase involved.....if xbox was trying to resell you 360 games and not letting you just use your original disks im sure they would be putting more effort into making the emulator as good as it can be

but anyways give them a chance its not even officially launched yet, see what they pull off, i doubt its going to be all that impressive, but as a free feature can people really be complaining

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up