Xbox One backwards compatibility list only contains 21 games so far

Microsoft has published the list of games that, as of June 2015, function with the backwards compatibility system allowing you to play Xbox 360 games on the Xbox one. There are only 21 games supported so far, and most of them aren't even full retail games (games such as Hexic HD, Alien Hominid, etc. are only sold on the online Xbox marketplace). This is all part of a Preview program for now, only a small selection of gamers are allowed to join in as it is invite-based.
  • A kingdom for keflings
  • A world of keflings
  • Alien hominid
  • Banjo kazooie
  • Banjo kazooie nuts n bolts
  • Banjo tooie
  • BattleBlock theater
  • Defense grid
  • Geometry wars evolved
  • Hexic HD
  • Jetpac refuelled
  • Kameo
  • Mass effect
  • Perfect Dark
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Small Arms
  • Super Meat boys
  • Toy Soldiers
  • Toy soldiers Cold War
  • Viva Piñata
  • Viva Piñata: trouble in paradise
Let's hope the list will get bigger quickly or this backwards compatibility announcement will quickly fall flat! In fact, if there are specific 360 games that you want to be able to play on your Xbox One, check out this survey run by Microsoft themselves. Right now Red Dead Redemption is at the top of the list, so there are good chances this title will be added to the list in the coming months.

Source: Xbox.com

xbone.jpg

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't understand why it isn't just simply 100%.

We know that they legally couldn't get BC to work on the 360 for original xbox games because they didn't own the IP to the underlying hardware anymore. But Microsoft does not have that excuse. If anything, because of the hardware now, I would think original xbox games should work even better on the Xbox One.

Reactions: Deleted User

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
To be fair, isn't BC not officially launching until September? Even then, this is a risky proposition no matter what, since it is reliant on devs agreeing to this. If devs just don't want their games available for whatever reason, that's that, nothing else Microsoft can do.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of

We know that they legally couldn't get BC to work on the 360 for original xbox games because they didn't own the IP to the underlying hardware anymore. But Microsoft does not have that excuse. If anything, because of the hardware now, I would think original xbox games should work even better on the Xbox One.
Because they need to sell HD remasters.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
To be fair, isn't BC not officially launching until September? Even then, this is a risky proposition no matter what, since it is reliant on devs agreeing to this. If devs just don't want their games available for whatever reason, that's that, nothing else Microsoft can do.
It always has to start somewhere. But they should have maybe come up with a more impressive list of games from the start. It just makes them look bad right now. I guess we'll see how the list grows in the coming months...

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

from what i gathered, it isnt 100% because they cant just emulate the 360 and the hardware does not natively support 360 code. the xbox just doesnt play the 360 disks, it has to load a somewhat changed version of that game online. to make a game run, they have to adapt the games coding somehow. they cant really just go ahead and mess with games coding and 'release' that to the users without consent from the producer/publishers of these games, because muh copyrights and stuff like that.
so this list is basically only going to grow by first party and explicit third party consent. companies who dont even exist anymore probably can't give any oks, and you have to wonder if third party honestly wants to make their games available for 'free' like that, when they could, potentially, rerelease their games somehow, maybe by adapting the coding themselves. red dead rerelease would probably still sell sufficiently for 20-40 bucks

so yeah, of course this whole bc business was meant to push units and in a years time, everyone will be unhappy with how little bc we'll get

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
How does the BC implementation actually work? Via an emulator I assume? But wouldn't that be in contradiction to the statement given that 360 games will run natively on the Xbox One? What does native mean here exactly?

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, this is kind of inaccurate. This backwards compatibility isn't even available to the public yet. This list is for the xbox preview members in order to beta test the service in general before release.

The service is not set to fully release until the holiday season, and when it launches, is going to support over a few hundred titles.

The list probably wont even grow for the next couple months, except to continue the beta test. The service itself (im actually a part of the preview program) works well, but definitely has its kinks. The way it works, is it sort of emulates 360 hardware, all the way down to the original dashboard experience.

The download format works fine, its actually the disc method that has been strange. In testing Mass Effect, the game would run incredibly smooth for a good session of play, but if you happened to try any xbox one confirmed methods like streaming or screenshotting, the whole game would crash or freeze and crash the entire xbox.

Things still need to be ironed out, so I assume function will be prioritized over the games list for beta testing. That being said, they have promised a full scale of titles available in the future.

EDIT: The Banjo Kazooie game in my sig was played on Xbone, flawlessly I might add :P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
LOL! :rofl:

So basically, of the...what...1139 games on the system, this is what they call backwards compatibility? That's 1.8% of the total games.

Why the hell are they even making a poll at this point? That's just pissing off the very people who got excited for the feature in the first place.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
For the record, this is kind of inaccurate. This backwards compatibility isn't even available to the public yet. This list is for the xbox preview members in order to beta test the service in general before release.

The service is not set to fully release until the holiday season, and when it launches, is going to support over a few hundred titles.

The list probably wont even grow for the next couple months, except to continue the beta test. The service itself (im actually a part of the preview program) works well, but definitely has its kinks. The way it works, is it sort of emulates 360 hardware, all the way down to the original dashboard experience.

The download format works fine, its actually the disc method that has been strange. In testing Mass Effect, the game would run incredibly smooth for a good session of play, but if you happened to try any xbox one confirmed methods like streaming or screenshotting, the whole game would crash or freeze and crash the entire xbox.

Things still need to be ironed out, so I assume function will be prioritized over the games list for beta testing. That being said, they have promised a full scale of titles available in the future.

EDIT: The Banjo Kazooie game in my sig was played on Xbone, flawlessly I might add :P
you said that this is "inaccurate" but you didn't contradict anything I said in my post.
all I stated is that Microsoft released a list of games that are supported by the backward compatibility system, that's hard facts right here (unless you question the origin of the xbox.com pdf list)
everyone knows the BC program isn't open to the public yet. It's in "Preview" right now.

Reactions: ComeTurismO

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you said that this is "inaccurate" but you didn't contradict anything I said in my post.
all I stated is that Microsoft released a list of games that are supported by the backward compatibility system, that's hard facts right here (unless you question the origin of the xbox.com pdf list)
everyone knows the BC program isn't open to the public yet. It's in "Preview" right now.
Well that's what I meant by inaccurate. The title doesn't state that its a preview release, it makes it seem as though the service is available to everyone and this is all they pushed out for EVERYONE.

Not everyone actually knows this is a beta system, your post didn't even mention it. There are plenty of people that think they can turn the system on and try it out right now, but to their dismay, cant (unless you use the preview trick, allowing you to play the games by following people in the program, then downloading the game by viewing their previously played game, if you own the game.)

Probably should have worded that differently but, yknow. 2am and stuff.

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If you own a PAL disc copy of various games listed they simply do not work (PDZ and Kameo for example) only the NTSC versions are compatible at this time.

You need to remember this is not officially released and only available to people in the preview program to test, games I can get to load work great however at 100% speed with no glitches i've seen so far.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Understandable. I'd imagine with a system as weak as the Xbox One, it would be hard emulating the 360 on there. I don't really care, as the 360 and Xbox One don't interest me. It's just interesting to see them push something like this this late. Though it's a consumer friendly feature, so I don't see a problem with it.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does the BC implementation actually work? Via an emulator I assume? But wouldn't that be in contradiction to the statement given that 360 games will run natively on the Xbox One? What does native mean here exactly?
I have trouble believing the Xbone can run a 360 emulator My best guess would be the games have to be statically recompiled for the Xbone with a wrapper that translates 360 system calls into Xbone system calls. It won't play games from disc, so I assume it will download the recompiled binary to your HDD and just use the disc as verification.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.