Hardware Wrong RAM stick...

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay... I wanted adding more RAM to new laptop(is currently 8GB RAM) to make have 16GB...

RAM stick inside laptop is HMT41GS6BFR8A-PB

I go to the amazon.. I order this: HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB

I receive in mail today... And I am make mistake.. I should pay attention... Now what is my option? Can I use into laptop? Or perhaps it may cause unwanted mlafunction of laptop? I do not want risk such thing... Please help.. Perhaps I will return?

Last edited by Katsumi San,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If my opinion means anything, i just think is better to get the same type, mostly cause someone else built the computer, and may have decided it was best compatibility for it. But again, my opinion, there may be things i dunno, and can't explain, but if it's coded with model numbers, must be a compatibility thing, otherwise it wouldn't sell it as different kinds and all would be genereic by brand to just say it works.

So i would consider that and be more careful about the parts i use to replace the things with, unless i know for sure it will work that way. Most already branded stock computers have no customization capability, or if it does, is very limited and precise.

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,
Reactions: Katsumi San

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
from what i read on their site i see the following timings on the ram "PB= 1600 11-11-11"

Both specs via link:

https://www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do?pronm=DDR3+SDRAM&srnm=HMT41GS6AFR8A&rk=20&rc=module

https://www.skhynix.com/products.view.do?vseq=969&cseq=75

HMT41GS6AFR8A: Data transfer rates: PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

HMT41GS6BFR8A: Data transfer rates: PC-14900, PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

Perhaps is not major concern... but later to avoid any issue.. and best compatibility is better buy identical one... I do not want risk. I spend $900 on this laptop 3 months ago. I am not plan to make it go boom soon...

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
If I were you, I'd just go ahead and use the RAM you already bought since the difference is very little to me and I don't see what damage it could really do. What could possibly go wrong?

But anyways it's your choice if you wanna swap it for an identical one.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HMT41GS6AFR8A: Data transfer rates: PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

HMT41GS6BFR8A: Data transfer rates: PC-14900, PC3-12800, PC3-10600, PC3-8500

Perhaps is not major concern... but later to avoid any issue.. and best compatibility is better buy identical one... I do not want risk. I spend $900 on this laptop 3 months ago. I am not plan to make it go boom soon...
Oh, well i agree, is safer that way, Also i hope that pc is good for $900 :yay:

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If my opinion means anything, i just think is better to get the same type, mostly cause someone else built the computer, and may have decided it was best compatibility for it. But again, my opinion, there may be things i dunno, and can't explain, but if it's coded with model numbers, must be a compatibility thing, otherwise it wouldn't sell it as different kinds and all would be genereic by brand to just say it works.

So i would consider that and be more careful about the parts i use to replace the things with, unless i know for sure it will work that way. Most already branded stock computers have no customization capiblity, or if it does, is very limited and precise.

Yes I do agree with your saying here. I buy this laptop from HP website(custom!!!)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, well i agree, is safer that way, Also i hope that pc is good for $900 :yay:

Yes very so. Not best... but it is do job video editing and such things. here is specs!

2ze02dl.jpg

Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I misread it. It's the Serial Presence Detect version that's different, not the timings. Honestly I can't say that I know what the difference between the two actually is; either way both sticks should work together.

As long as the type, pins, and voltages are right, RAM is generally RAM. If you put the right stick with the right pins and voltage in the slot, it'd have to be a really messed-up stick to damage the rest of your machine, or even the other RAM. Sometimes RAM and motherboards aren't compatible, and sometimes RAM sticks with the same model number won't work together; that's just pickiness and won't damage the machine.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I do agree with your saying here. I buy this laptop from HP website(custom!!!)
Well okay then, you got your answer.^_^:toot:

Make sure you can get your refund as soon as possible, so that is not wasted. Good luck with that.:)

Nice specs, reminds me when i bought my HP laptop, though is older and outdated. :blush:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Katsumi San

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you all people for very kind opinions and thoughts on problem!! I got little scared, but it is safer to get identical. And yes I already follow refund procedure! Hopefully I can get money back...

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you all people for very kind opinions and thoughts on problem!! I got little scared, but it is safer to get identical. And yes I already follow refund procedure! Hopefully I can get money back...
Sure thing, anytime miss Katsumi.*bows*:bow:

Just be sure to follow the directions for returning the product for the refund okay?:yay:

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally does not matter, most likely your motherboard will down clock it to compatible speed. I have Kingston RAM and some model numbers differs by a lot, and seems to be working well. A few thing to remember that does matter:
  1. RAM voltage. Some motherboard does not support mixing for example: 1.5v RAM with 1.35v (generally not a good idea to mix)
  2. Type of RAM, most desktop motherboard does not support ECC memories and generally Xeon based motherboard especially multi-socketed CPU requires ECC.
  3. Again type of RAM, while memory like DDR3 will fit in all DDR3 motherboard, there are some variations of DDR3 memories, mainly LRDIMM is not compatible with older motherboard, even though they fit right into the RAM socket.
There is probably something else I am forgetting, I think these three are the main ones for concern regarding for compatibility.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Whilst mix and matching does not really hurt the computer at all (as long as it's the same type and voltage as RandomUser pointed out), the general rule of thumb is that to reduce the chance of weird memory problems cropping up later in life, you should always try to get memory modules with the same model number and the same batch number/date. The reason for this is that memory modules from the same batch will likely have the same lifespan left in them, where as if you mix older memory with newer memory (even if it's the same model) then problems cropping up in the older memory may cause weird symptoms to appear in both memory modules (something to do with timings becoming mismatched, I can't remember any details from so many years ago).

On the other hand, I've seen many systems use completely different memory modules (e.g. DDR3 modules from Kingston and G.Skill) with different clocks and timings and not encountered any problems (BIOS just downclocks them to the lower/safer clocks and timings). Not recommended but when your system is entirely made from second hand parts bodged together, sometimes you don't have much choice and work with what you get.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1