A brief hands on with ASUS' latest dual-screen laptop

Zenbook Duo (2024)_KV angle.png

CES 2024 is well underway once again, with companies bringing their latest and greatest to show off at one of the largest events of the year for consumer electronics. Though not able to attend the show in Las Vegas, I was fortunate enough to receive an invite to a media preview event hosted by ASUS back in December to show off all their upcoming announcements. If you’ve been following CES this year, you’ll probably know most of what’s on offer. The Zephyrus line is slimmer than ever, feeling like a MacBook they’ve somehow crammed a mobile 4070 into. The Strix series remains a powerhouse for those wanting a hefty desktop replacement. There was one device that caught my eye though, and it should come as no surprise to know it’s the one that had two screens.

Dual Screen History.jpg

Packing two 16:10 aspect ratio 3K OLED displays running at 120Hz at its highest spec, along with a detachable keyboard, built-in kickstand, and reasonable IO (2x Thunderbolt 4, 1x USB 3.2 Type 1, 1x HDMI 2.1), I think I’m justified in my enthusiasm. The latest Zenbook Duo has finally been announced, and I can finally talk about my fleeting time with it. Obviously this isn’t ASUS’ first stab at a dual-screened design though and it was interesting to see their history on show next to the latest model, including a prototype that never made it to market. I’m a personal backer of multi-screened tech, with the Zephyrus Duo catching my eye in 2022 and being a device I’ve loved using since. There were compromises made to house the secondary display there, but I could accept them. The keyboard was full-sized, but pushed down. The trackpad was large enough and easy to reach, just in a place that’s not too common on a laptop. These design quirks are gone.

Duo on Desk.jpg Laptop Sandwich.jpg

The way the latest Zenbook Duo works is pretty fun. You have both halves of the laptop clamshell housing a screen, with a detachable Bluetooth keyboard sandwiched between them. The keyboard itself can be connected to the laptop using pogo pins, and held in place with magnets. When it’s on the laptop like this, you have a fairly accessible single-screened system that just feels like your every day laptop. Aesthetically-speaking, I get a real ThinkBook feeling. Remove that keyboard though, and you’re treated to a secondary display with absolutely no compromises. The keyboard pairs automatically to the system too, switching over to Bluetooth with no hassle. It’s about as seamless as you could hope it to be. The second screen is detected in-software and connects just like any other display.

Keyboard on Laptop.jpg

Both screens have an identical spec, making the larger experience feel really great regardless of the screen you’re choosing to look at. And with the built-in kickstand, it’s really easy to get the system setup to a comfortable angle while at a desk. Having had the system in-hand, I was quite surprised to see just how strong that kickstand was. I could comfortably hold the system by it and shake it around without anything breaking or noticeably going wrong; the ASUS rep that was sat with me didn’t even look concerned, which was a surprise. I'm slightly annoyed at myself for forgetting to get a picture of the kickstand itself, since it isn't quite as clean an implementation as what you've seen from devices like the Surface or even the OLED Switch. It's functional and sturdy, but it looks a little out of place.

Virtual Keyboard.jpg Portrait Screens.jpg

The ScreenXpert software appears to have seen some improvements too, though I didn’t get to see everything. ScreenXpert is ASUS’ special sauce for their systems with multiple displays, giving you easy access to configurable app groups to open together, or other useful things like virtual trackpads and keyboards. What I’m particularly interested in though is ScreenXpert’s ability to launch an app over multiple screens on a system. It doesn’t sound like all too exciting a feature, and it's not one I used particularly often on the Zephyrus Duo, but it does address something I’ve been wanting for a long long time: DS emulation over multiple screens. I obviously couldn’t ask them to download MelonDS while I was there, but I have high hopes. We might not have an emulator that supports splitting screens into multiple windows yet, but there may yet be a niche solution… At a price, of course.

These multi-screened laptops are never particularly cheap, and this one isn’t much of an exception with a starting price of £1700 in the UK. Though notably cheaper than Lenovo’s take on a similar system (the Yoga Book 9i starting at £2240 via Lenovo’s official site at the time of writing) it’s still a good chunk more than you’d be paying for a system of similar spec sans the additional screen. I only spent an hour or so with it so I obviously can’t offer any long-term thoughts here, but this is a device I’m really excited to spend more time with. With some luck we’ll be able to get a device on loan for further coverage, but failing that it’s really likely I’ll be going out to buy one myself when it's expected to release at the end of January. These designs are just so fun, and I really love talking about them. With Intel’s latest Ultra 5, 7, or 9 inside, it’ll likely be a decently-performant ultrabook, and it being tested to last 10 hours of battery life with both screens on playing HD video just gets me fired up more.

Zenbook Duo (2024)_Sharing mode.png Zenbook Duo (2024)_Laptop mode.png Zenbook Duo (2024)_Dual Screen mode_2.png
Zenbook Duo (2024)_Dual Screen mode_1.png Zenbook Duo (2024)_Desktop mode.png

Though ASUS have shown their hand, CES will be running until Friday this week, so there may yet be more fun announcements to come. Have you been following CES? Are you just as excited for interesting tech like this, or would you prefer more affordable systems that just stick to the basics? Let me know your thoughts.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two words: DS Emulation
I mean it's worth saying that 3DS and Wii U emulation are far enough along that this thing can most likely handle both of those well, even with its iGPU. It's something I'm super eager to try out.

Outside of emulation though, having two screens in one package is just handy. As a portable monitor user, having an extra screen under the keyboard when I need it is such a cool thing.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was a cool idea that's neat yet gimmicky. Even the DS/Wii U emulation is fun, but not mind blowing.

But for some reason seeing it with both screens on the keyboard at portrait mode? That made me want it so bad.

Reactions: Acetonide

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
DS looked shit on its original screens, why would you want to then play it on two screens this big.

Yes, emulators can help smothen its shit quality textures, but it doesn't improve much.
I definitely disagree with that. You can get high resolution rendering of 3D models on DS emulations, and paired with some sharp upscaled pixels you have a unique and really quite nice aesthetic in a lot of games.

Sure it's not for everybody but I can't see something like Black and White as anything but a series high for Pokemon in terms of looks when emulated. The sprites in battle look lush too.

1704888854055.png

Reactions: Plazorn

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a handheld like that released in 2004...

In all seriousness, a computer doesn't need two screens. Imagine the battery life.

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between the shenanigans with the Zenfone series bootloader unlocking and their terrible RMA experiences, it is just a bad idea buying anything Asus.
I've been anti-asus since I bought a laptop from them in 2017. They listed it as having Thunderbolt 3, but the TB chip was actually a secret model for cheapskate manufacturers to save like 30 cents per unit and had the exact same specs as the top gen 2 chip, only capable of those gen 2 speeds. Totally killed any potential for external GPUs.

They also do an abysmal job on their laptop cooling systems (I had to cut holes in the bottom of the case, do liquid metal on the heatsinks as well as messing with third party programs and underclocking just to keep it below 80c). Driver support for the keyboard, trackpad, usb, and wireless are also trash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto