[WIP] Priiloader for vWii by GaryOderNichts

GaryOderNichts, a well known hacker and programmer in the Wii and Wii U Homebrew scene, with apps like Bloopair, Shipwright, Moonlight for Wii U and many others, has started work on Priiloader compatibility for vWii on Wii U.

For those unaware, vWii is the nomenclature given to the Wii enviroment found on the Wii U, also known as Virtual Wii. This specific version of the Wii's operating system for Wii U has modification to a lot of the system's IOS, which make original Wii hacks that rely on them somewhat unreliable and sometimes even risk a brick if ran on vWii. Priiloader itself is a modification of a previously developed software called "Preloader", and this application runs before the system menu of the Wii, which allows for a way to restore the system in case of an accidental brick (to a certain extend).

Currently, the code for Priiloader to run on vWii is on early stages, and Gary made a PoC video on his YouTube channel showcasing Priiloader running on a Wii U under its vWii. There's currently a pull request for this feature on DacoTaco's GitHub repository for Priiloader, in which Gary lists all of the things needed for the

GaryOderNichts comments on the vWii PR said:
This works by replacing the SM boot index with the BC-NAND Nand Loader, which is also a signed Ancast Image.
BC-NAND will then boot content 1, which will be replaced with Priiloader. The original content 1 will be placed at the end of the contents.
To boot the vWii SM Priiloader decrypts the ancast image and patches it to redirect content 1 to the end. It then boots the decrypted SM.
I've also added 2 vWii specific hacks. One always enables NET.WCFG, which usually gets disabled by SM, and the other one makes the Wii Options button open Wii System settings. All of the other hacks need to be verified and ported over.
This is still very experimental and hasn't been properly tested. There is also still some work left to do which is listed below.

TO-DO:​

• Port over all of the SM hacks and verify that existing ones work
  • Testing, especially make sure the installer works properly
  • Verify that this doesn't break anything on an original Wii
  • Test on a JP vWii
  • Unfortunately BC-NAND clears the boot state, which causes some issues. As a workaround I tried guessing the state based on the Y-component of the HW_VISOLID register which vWii SM also seems to check and then set.
  • Edit: The above doesn't work in case standby mode is enabled, since the system returns to Priiloader on shutdown in that case.
  • Make the installer check that BC-NAND is actually installed properly and parse its TMD.

:arrow: GitHub Pull Request

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Not just the chromashift, the Wii U Wii mode on 480p still zooms in the image a bit, which requires its scaling and it blurs things even on 480p as a result.

DacoTaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Until Priiloader for vWii is ready, I would like you to tell me if there's any way to change vWii's region ? I would like to make it 100% region free. Thanks 🙏🏼
there are SM hacks for that? and priiloader or geckoOs/any other launcher can launch games too?
region changing a wii is not necessary, ever.

Last edited by DacoTaco,

tulliotera

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
there are SM hacks for that? and priiloader or geckoOs/any other launcher can launch games too?
region changing a wii is not necessary, ever.
do you know by any chance if there is a System Menu Hack to change the language on JAP vWii? i’ve been scouting the internet for days but all there is for it seem only to work on original Wiis
(system language)

Kitocco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes. hacks are still being ported and there are still bugs we need to fix (mostly an annoying random black screen bug)
Thank you and the rest of the contributors for your work on this! I’m really looking forward to this for autopatching Wiimfi, RiiConnect24, & disabling Deflicker to improve the video quality. Take your time!

DacoTaco

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Dude just shat himself.