Hacking [WIP] KARL3DS - Kernel access on N3DS via Ninjhax + Loadcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mmmm I'm starting to think they should move this to the homebrew development and emulators section. I mean it's not a flashcart and it's not really going to ever be a full custom firmware (according to the developers wishes). It might get a lot less traffic but also a lot less crap if it ended up in that section.

Reactions: SLiV3R

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Incredible things can happen when you can work full time.

Edit: sorry, I really don't see what your point is. If Gateway fix their implementation and they decap or whatever solution you're suggesting, then great, they have 9.6, we don't. I guess I'll go cry in the corner or something?

I think his point is that if it wasn't for reverse engineering gateway this project wouldn't have got as far as it did? Not sure but that's what it sounds like hes getting at.

D

Deleted User

I think his point is that if it wasn't for reverse engineering gateway this project wouldn't have got as far as it did? Not sure but that's what it sounds like hes getting at.

Yes, that is exactly my point. And the consequence of this project, what it will lead to.

D

Deleted User

Seriously? I don't think I could make it any more clearer than that.

marksteele

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't this a little stating the obvious then? I still don't get it, sorry.

I think his point is that gateway will move on to other projects if people can get stuff for free using KARL.

I disagree tbh, the object if KARL is to allow homebrew, now obviously homebrew doesn't need a specific level of firmware. So once you guys get an emunand up and running there would be no point in updating it for higher firmwares. Gateway, on the other hand, makes it money by keeping compatibility with the latest firmwares, so they can still profit buy making sure people can play the latest games

Dazzozo

KRAZOA PALACE
Trophies
Website
dazzozo.com
XP
Country
I think his point is that gateway will move on to other projects if people can get stuff for free using KARL.

I disagree tbh, the object if KARL is to allow homebrew, now obviously homebrew doesn't need a specific level of firmware. So once you guys get an emunand up and running there would be no point in updating it for higher firmwares. Gateway, on the other hand, makes it money by keeping compatibility with the latest firmwares, so they can still profit buy making sure people can play the latest games

There's value in running the latest emunand in itself, but if Nintendo fix their encryption, I don't really know what you guys expect us to say to that? I hope we would be able to find a solution but if not, that's life I guess?

Does ninjhax work on 9.5? No, it was fixed. We aren't going to be swallowed by the sun as a result.

I frankly have no interest in preserving Gateway's business. That's their job.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The goal right now is to get process9 decrypted and from there get emuNAND on N3DS, and then region free. Also again, we have no plans on making KARL 3DS a vector for the piracy of 3DS games, that's settled. No point in arguing about it here. If you want piracy just get a sky3ds or something and be happy.

question: is it something techniquely possible to allow modding games without allowing piracy? like, for exemple, being able to load mods (textures, models, sounds, etc..) using the ram? so, having for exemple, new textures in the SD folder and make them load when starting a game? (like i said..it could maybe be temporary injected in the ram without actually modding a rom..si it would work on retail cartdrige..)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
you could probably do some on the fly romfs re-direction right?....granted it means no exefs mods, but those are pretty rare anyway, and then people would be able to use mods with retail carts

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What if in 9.6 Nintendo properly fixes the key generation on New 3DS for FIRM a9 decryption? Are you guys gonna decap the New 3DS for us and extract the keys?
I don't think you guys realise that without Gateway, Nintendo can crush you pretty quickly.

Say bye bye to emunand on new 3ds. Hell, even Gateway announced they have problems with emunand on new 3ds but not a definitive barrier, ie, meaning they are going to throw money at it until they break it. You guys don't have that kind of cash lying around
But you know that the way to read the 9.5 key got found by Yellows8 who very likely is no member of Gateway? And that the entrypoint GW used for 4.5 was on 3DBrew for months? And that Gateway probably used some expoits by smea to get 9.2 support?
You should do better reseach regarding who found what. Gateway are no warriors who find everything. Yes, they are talented and they changed the 3DS scene but there are also other Homebrew developers who work on this stuff and the scene can survive without Gateway. In addition to that, your guess that GW would disappear is not even proved yet.

Reactions: Zidapi and SLiV3R

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just hope you guys are realising that by doing this project you will be driving Gateway away ever so slowly, because let's face it, someone WILL make a piracy loader from this. And this will get to the point where the Gateway team will simply move on to a more profitable project. At that point you can forget about getting leaked keys or exploit vulnerabilities from their future Launcher.dat.
You mean just like people easily ported all the patch offsets in the leaked CFW to 9.2?

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
you could probably do some on the fly romfs re-direction right?....granted it means no exefs mods, but those are pretty rare anyway, and then people would be able to use mods with retail carts

..but it would only allow modding (temporary..) our save file..no? i mean, it wouldnt be able to load custom textures and models, right?:unsure: ..

..wouldnt be possible instead to have the same file structures then the original game, as folders in the SD card?,..a bit like when people uses modded roms with gateway..but instead of recompiling them in the game, you could just drop the modded files & folders in the SD card.. would a homebrew having full access to kernel, allow that?

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gateway know their game. They'll figure out any number of incentives. They killed the majority of the initial interest in the leaked CFW by allowing DevMenu to be run, and allowing CIA installation as a result. They'll figure out another way to draw attention back to them when this is released. They're not idiots, they're just also not going to compromise their work without being threatened by external problems first. Competition is always great, and Gateway sorely needed it.

Mr. Waffle

A Free Waffle
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
question: is it something techniquely possible to allow modding games without allowing piracy? like, for exemple, being able to load mods (textures, models, sounds, etc..) using the ram? so, having for exemple, new textures in the SD folder and make them load when starting a game? (like i said..it could maybe be temporary injected in the ram without actually modding a rom..si it would work on retail cartdrige..)
Real time memory editing ala NitePR would certainly be interesting :)

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
..but it would only allow modding (temporary..) our save file..no? i mean, it wouldnt be able to load custom textures and models, right?:unsure: ..

..wouldnt be possible instead to have the same file structures then the original game, as folders in the SD card?,..a bit like when people uses modded roms with gateway..but instead of recompiling them in the game, you could just drop the modded files & folders in the SD card.. would a homebrew having full access to kernel, allow that?
yeah thats what redirecting the romfs would give, pretty much a free pass to do whatever with the assets of the game, custom level, maps, textures etc
its not very often that games need the exefs to be patched and some of that could be done with ram patches probably, so really if romfs redirection is possible, it would be nearly as good as disabling signature checks, but would only work with legit cards (and presumably sky3ds unless these guys know the fabled 1 line of code that blocks sky3ds :rofl: )

Reactions: puss2puss

williamcesar2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But you know that the way to read the 9.5 key got found by Yellows8 who very likely is no member of Gateway? And that the entrypoint GW used for 4.5 was on 3DBrew for months? And that Gateway probably used some expoits by smea to get 9.2 support?
You should do better reseach regarding who found what. Gateway are no warriors who find everything. Yes, they are talented and they changed the 3DS scene but there are also other Homebrew developers who work on this stuff and the scene can survive without Gateway. In addition to that, your guess that GW would disappear is not even proved yet.

I don't trust him completely, some elitist developers are behind gateway team

Gadorach

Electronics Engineering Technologist
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't trust him completely, some elitist developers are behind gateway team.

Most of the developers in the 3DS scene just straight up don't want the publicity, so they don't participate in active public discussion on what they've worked on. They do, however, actively participate in the building of 3DBrew, with the exception of revealing exploit vectors that would be easy to patch, and close them off from analyzing newer firmwares. They contribute more than you know, and every 3DS scene developer gains from the information they've shared. The team behind Gateway are a separate entity from our scene developers, from all evidence I've scene anyway. And besides, what's there to trust? You don't need to trust anyone here, just benefit from their work as we all do.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so really if romfs redirection is possible, it would be nearly as good as disabling signature checks, but would only work with legit cards

it would be awesome!! annnd it would not allow piracy! would be great :grog:
.. hum..does it mean it would even work, like, right now with the ninjhax exploit? i mean, would it be enough with arm11 access to...oh wait..i think we cant use ALL the ram with arm11 access, right?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
it would be awesome!! annnd it would not allow piracy! would be great :grog:
.. hum..does it mean it would even work, like, right now with the ninjhax exploit? i mean, would it be enough with arm11 access to...oh wait..i think we cant use ALL the ram with arm11 access, right?
well you cant switch games right now with ninjhax, and any sort of romfs redirection would need more than userland access, would likely need FW patches or something (im not an expert on these things, im not even sure its possible while keeping signature checks etc in place, but just an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Or even worse; circle pad ball fondlers like on the 3DS
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's...