ROM Hack [WIP] Fire Emblem Fates Randomizer

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so I am new to the fire emblem series (so far liking awakening but I was stupid to put it on hard :() but how does a fire emblem randomizer work like how is it randomized
How the game is randomized will vary from randomizer to randomizer. For this one, the classes of every character is changed to a random class and joins at a different place in the story. Additionally, this randomizer also changes parents and children so that parents have a different child than they normally would. There's also options to randomize things like which stats and skills they start out with.

Since this is a very powerful tool, could it be used without being... well, random? So you could replaces characters/classes/growths by your choice?
If you want to change simple things like character stats and starting classes, check out the nightmare modules. The nightmare modules make editing existing characters and map spawns pretty easy. The link also includes some python scripts for adding in new chapters, characters, and classes if you're interested in making more substantial changes.

Replacing which characters show up in cutscenes is a bit more complicated. These dispo tools can edit which characters spawn on maps, but that's all that currently exists for editing as far as tools are concerned. To completely replace a character like this tool does you also need to edit the associated scripts and cutscene text. The text is pretty easy to edit since you can decompress the files directly to plain text. For scripts the only option for the moment is hex editing. Check the notes in the Fates hacking thread if you want to get started with script editing.

Technically, the randomizer includes some code that could make script and dispo editing easier. In fact, the randomizer decompiles scripts to a text format in order to make editing them simple. The code for editing script and dispo files exists, but I'm still working on tools which actually utilize the code.

Reactions: Hozu

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it do it to the extent that this tool does though? Major stuff like replacing entire characters so they show up in cutscenes instead of the original character (including names in the text), to minor things like giving the Songstress class a non-unit specific map sprite.
It doesn't replace characters in my experience, but it does allow you to change class sets and growths.

EDIT:
I think something is off with stat randomization.
I randomized stats, and Charlotte switched with Gunter.
Here's what the output file says her stat randomization is:
Base Stats:
HP 6 Strength 0 Magic 2 Skill 2 Speed 1 Luck 7 Defense 2 Resistance 2
Growths:
HP 5 Strength 10 Magic 0 Skill 15 Speed 0 Luck 15 Defense 0 Resistance 5
Modifiers:
HP 2 Strength -2 Magic -2 Skill 0 Speed 0 Luck 2 Defense 0 Resistance 1

Now here's her unmodified.
Base Stats:
HP 9 Strength 8 Magic 0 Skill 4 Speed 7 Luck 7 Defense 4 Resistance 1
Growths:
HP 65 Strength 55 Magic 0 Skill 35 Speed 50 Luck 45 Defense 20 Resistance 5
Modifiers:
Hp 0 Strength 3 Magic 0 Skill 0 Speed 2 Luck 0 Defense -2 Resistance -2

Her unmodified base stat total is 40, randomized is 22
Her unmodified base growth total is 275, randomized is 50
Her unmodified base modifier total is 1, randomized is 1.

This means she is substantially weaker randomized. I suspect that her totals were swapped with Gunter as that is who she switched with.

Last edited by Dylos,

shadowofchaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was attempting to use the Same-Sex marriage patch as recommended to not get screwed over on support pools and such.

But the Randomizer seems to freeze.

Q8aUJIk.png

I am decompressing the Same Sex marriage patch items and adding it into the folder for the randomizer to do its thing with.
Or am I supposed to put it in AFTER?

I didn't think I was supposed to do it after, since the script replacements don't happen if the randomizer doesn't modify all the files, correct?

Also, just for curiosity's sake...

Is this compatible with the Japanese game for script replacements if we properly replace the character names in the XML files to the katakana for their names?

Last edited by shadowofchaos,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This means she is substantially weaker randomized. I suspect that her totals were swapped with Gunter as that is who she switched with.
Yes, characters take the stat total of whoever they switch with. That should prevent situations like Ryoma switching with Kaze and destroying all sense of balance.

I was attempting to use the Same-Sex marriage patch as recommended to not get screwed over on support pools and such.

But the Randomizer seems to freeze.

I am decompressing the Same Sex marriage patch items and adding it into the folder for the randomizer to do its thing with.
Or am I supposed to put it in AFTER?

I didn't think I was supposed to do it after, since the script replacements don't happen if the randomizer doesn't modify all the files, correct?

Also, just for curiosity's sake...

Is this compatible with the Japanese game for script replacements if we properly replace the character names in the XML files to the katakana for their names?
You should replace the files before randomizing.

Yes, there should be no issues with changing the names of characters in the XML files. There are a couple of fixes in place that rely on the class names currently, so I would recommend leaving those as they are.

It looks like the randomizer got through randomizing your GameData file and then encountered some sort of issue when trying to modify bev files. To be sure, can you try running the jar from the command line? Try randomizing again from there and see if an error shows up in the command line. If it does, go ahead and post it here and I'll see if I can track down the issue. If you don't get anything, let the program sit for a minute or two. The randomizer has a lot of files to process when adjusting cutscenes, so the program may appear unresponsive during that time.

Dylos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the end of revelation chapter 9, I still recruited Hayato despite that he was replaced by Setsuna.

And I can understand their stats being swapped, but maybe growth should be based on the character rather then who they replaced? That or maybe I should give Gunter actually decent growths before randomizing.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the end of revelation chapter 9, I still recruited Hayato despite that he was replaced by Setsuna.

And I can understand their stats being swapped, but maybe growth should be based on the character rather then who they replaced? That or maybe I should give Gunter actually decent growths before randomizing.
I'll see what I can do about the issue with Hayato. It should be an easy fix.

Give me a bit to think about what to do with growths. I might set something up so that you can use the randomized growths and modifiers of the original character rather than the swapping character, though I'll need to mess with a few things.

Domyce432

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is it possible to add a way to determine which files the randomizer needs in order to be used?
As in, you can toggle paths on/off, so that the randomizer only searchs for the required files of the selected paths.
I only want to randomize Conquest, and I don't have the European SE that came with all three paths in the same cartridge.
I DO have the two DLC versions of Birthright and Revelations, and I saw the guide on how to extract them, but waiting for an update seems a good alternative, I hope it's possible to add this feature.
Other than that, changing every folder named @U's name to @E works, but I think the game must be booted in English for the changes to work, just like with UnassumingVenusar's Same-Sex Marriage hack.

EDIT: I don't know HOW, but my randomizer proceeded to step 2 even when I did not have Revelation/Birthright files.

Last edited by Domyce432,

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to add a way to determine which files the randomizer needs in order to be used?
As in, you can toggle paths on/off, so that the randomizer only searchs for the required files of the selected paths.
I only want to randomize Conquest, and I don't have the European SE that came with all three paths in the same cartridge.
I DO have the two DLC versions of Birthright and Revelations, and I saw the guide on how to extract them, but waiting for an update seems a good alternative, I hope it's possible to add this feature.
Other than that, changing every folder named @U's name to @E works, but I think the game must be booted in English for the changes to work, just like with UnassumingVenusar's Same-Sex Marriage hack.

EDIT: I don't know HOW, but my randomizer proceeded to step 2 even when I did not have Revelation/Birthright files.
The randomizer will move on to the next step as long as you have every file for at least 1 path. However, you cannot select the paths that did not verify in the options menu. I may go ahead and add in an option to select paths during verification though since that could make verification go slightly faster.

Domyce432

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The randomizer will move on to the next step as long as you have every file for at least 1 path. However, you cannot select the paths that did not verify in the options menu. I may go ahead and add in an option to select paths during verification though since that could make verification go slightly faster.
Oh, really? I didn't know that...
The thing is, I could select BR/REV in the randomization options menu. I did not try to randomize either one, so maybe the randomizer only stops when you press the "Randomize" button if the files are missing, but I think it's worth mentioning either way.

shadowofchaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A "bug report" of sorts.

Lunatic Classic on Chapter 2 crashes for me even after skipping the cutscene.
Might have something to do with the unit loading?

But yeah, Normal Casual works fine with the same patch I installed as a CIA.

Yes, there should be no issues with changing the names of characters in the XML files. There are a couple of fixes in place that rely on the class names currently, so I would recommend leaving those as they are.

It looks like the randomizer got through randomizing your GameData file and then encountered some sort of issue when trying to modify bev files. To be sure, can you try running the jar from the command line? Try randomizing again from there and see if an error shows up in the command line. If it does, go ahead and post it here and I'll see if I can track down the issue. If you don't get anything, let the program sit for a minute or two. The randomizer has a lot of files to process when adjusting cutscenes, so the program may appear unresponsive during that time.

So it should be fine with the JP game that is unpatched (not English translated)?

And I'll try that. But I'm sure it froze. It was stuck there for 30 minutes, unlike the non same sex patch CIA I made. That only took less than a minute to process.

Also, despite my minor issues... I'm having a LOT of fun with it with Belinda.

iiMidnightPheonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Step 6, I had all my files decompressed but one file was unable to decompress. The file was CY02.bin.lz and whenever I keep on decompressing the file, I keep getting this error:
pdig1p7.png
I don't know what do to about this and if anyone knows then can you explain to me what happened here? Thanks in advance < ( ^ - ^; )

iiMidnightPheonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry about that file, that one's used for one of the My Castle maps. You can safely remove that one from your patch without causing any sort of issue.
Thanks! ^ - ^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks! ^ - ^
I also forgot to mention that:
RyfJXgc.png
I open the Storage folder with the files but I didn't get a pop up and I followed the steps to doing this. Can you help please? (Sorry for bothering you <( ^ - ^; ) )

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've checked the places where they are supposed to be and entered the Storage folder in the application but it didn't pop up for me.
So you have all of the decompressed files in a folder organized like they are in the readme. But when you try to select the folder in the application, you cannot select the folder? Or are you selecting that folder, running the verification, and getting that error?

If you can select the without issue, then can I see what the folder you're using looks like?

iiMidnightPheonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you have all of the decompressed files in a folder organized like they are in the readme. But when you try to select the folder in the application, you cannot select the folder? Or are you selecting that folder, running the verification, and getting that error?

If you can select the without issue, then can I see what the folder you're using looks like?
These are what my files look like right here.

iiMidnightPheonix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The m and Scripts folders should be at the root of the storage folder, not inside the GameData folder. Try running verification again after moving them out of the GameData folder.
Whoops, didn't know. <( ^ - ^; ) It worked. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it ^ - ^

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7