Homebrew [WIP] Duke Nukem 3D

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Progress update: Background music is working!!! I still need to fix the sound timing issues, which I don't think will be hard.
And I've also taken the suggestions for the touch overlay and tweak it to a point that I can say it's done.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Progress update: Background music is working!!! I still need to fix the sound timing issues, which I don't think will be hard.
And I've also taken the suggestions for the touch overlay and tweak it to a point that I can say it's done.
Not sure how you are planning on handling the sound timing issues, but I was never able to get a timer based approach to work without issue. The latest approach I have taken ( unreleased hexen2 port - as there already is a decent port) is based on the hexen2/quake wav player. It breaks a 64k buffer into 128 blocks of 512 then bases the timer of off the blocks that have finished playing - in this case with dsp instead of the Windows wav player. Basing the timer on the finished blocks solves the inaccuracies that creep in with a pure timer based approach which can cause ticks and occasional fuzz/scratching noises.

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure how you are planning on handling the sound timing issues, but I was never able to get a timer based approach to work without issue. The latest approach I have taken ( unreleased hexen2 port - as there already is a decent port) is based on the hexen2/quake wav player. It breaks a 64k buffer into 128 blocks of 512 then bases the timer of off the blocks that have finished playing - in this case with dsp instead of the Windows wav player. Basing the timer on the finished blocks solves the inaccuracies that creep in with a pure timer based approach which can cause ticks and occasional fuzz/scratching noises.
The engine internally uses blocks, so I'm going to try wrapping that around a DSP wrapper. In theory it should be "easy" without requiring me to modify the engine much.

Reactions: tiduscrying

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new version is out guys: https://github.com/masterfeizz/EDuke3D/releases/tag/v1.0-alpha
Background music is working... with a catch: Only the .ogg filetype is implemented so you will have to download the soundtrack in .ogg format (probably a remastered version) and place the files in the eduke3d folder.
The new sound driver also fixed all the problems with timing that we had before, so Duke's lines will sound right this time.
Ohh and this is what the new touchscreen overlay looks like:
ChVZfoiUkAA4II-.jpg

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new version is out guys: https://github.com/masterfeizz/EDuke3D/releases/tag/v1.0-alpha
Background music is working... with a catch: Only the .ogg filetype is implemented so you will have to download the soundtrack in .ogg format (probably a remastered version) and place the files in the eduke3d folder.
The new sound driver also fixed all the problems with timing that we had before, so Duke's lines will sound right this time.
ChVZfoiUkAA4II-.jpg
Thanks for your time to work on this!

I will play this on long car rides with nothing to do

Hector_of_Troy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
ChVZfoiUkAA4II-.jpg
The music support is awesome! Just wondering, does the game know internally in which order to play the tracks or do i have to create some sort of CUE file?

Hector_of_Troy

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
On O3DS it takes little bit of time for the game to load, did you wait like 15 seconds? If you did, I'll have to look into that.
Yeah, I also tried with the full version and it's stuck at calculating sine table. At the top of the screen it also says "ignored application parameter "" ", I don't know if that could be of any help

MasterFeizz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I also tried with the full version and it's stuck at calculating sine table. At the top of the screen it also says "ignored application parameter "" ", I don't know if that could be of any help
That's weird, I'll see what I can do when I get time to work on this. I've updated the base code for the game, maybe that will help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: No way, Switch pro will be next