Homebrew [WIP] Duke Nukem 3D

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
Nautilus (under) Lake Como, Italy šŸ‡®šŸ‡¹
XP
Country
Italy
I had an idea! :) I still haven't figured out if the .cia files are installed in 3ds internal memory or in the microSD...šŸ¤”
@CrashMidnick , @KleinesSinchen or anyone else, could you tell me the path where cias are located when they are installed (e.g. "d :/directory/ directory/file.cia" or something like that)?
Perhaps you could also use the "command line arguments" using .cia software. It would be enough to edit the existing .xml files by typing the correct path. Just a guess...
Thank you.

Reactions: Blauhasenpopo

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I had an idea! :) I still haven't figured out if the .cia files are installed in 3ds internal memory or in the microSD...šŸ¤”
@CrashMidnick , @KleinesSinchen or anyone else, could you tell me the path where cias are located when they are installed (e.g. "d :/directory/ directory/file.cia" or something like that)?
Perhaps you could also use the "command line arguments" using .cia software. It would be enough to edit the existing .xml files by typing the correct path. Just a guess...
Thank you.

It is located in your Nintendo folder on the SD card. Guess what ? It is encrypted (cannot be shared between 3DS's) and unusable for what you asking for (I can be wrong but...).

• Sad
Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@CrashMidnick I tried the cia version but, in my case, it locked the console to 2 black screens, and I couldn't turn it off anymore, damn it!!!
What the hell! Could it be that every user has a different experience with 3dsx and cia files, despite having the same console?
Well, If all goes as I hope, I will go back to my dear DSi to kick some alien ass: "Come Get Some!! šŸ˜Ž šŸ‘‰ šŸ‘½".

Reactions: CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nah, it should work straight away with the same game files. I have both, N3DS and O3DS and DN3D is working as expected.
To turn off the 3DS : long press on the power button.

EDIT : Where are located your game files ? (full path with names)

EDIT 2 : See attached files that go to your 3DS folder. You will need to add your GRP files as this is copyrighted.

Attachments

• eDukeNW.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 71
Last edited by CrashMidnick,
Reactions: MastaG

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Nikokaro
Is it possible that no one before me noticed the blatant save issue (.3dsx version)? When you save the game, it comes out at the 3ds home menu. The save file is created, but when you load it, the game still comes out at the home menu.
If no one has noticed it, does that mean that I am the only one who uses it?
Too bad!!! šŸ˜’ This is a sensational oversight. The developer would deserve a friendly ear-pulling....šŸ¤£
Just kidding. šŸ˜‰
But I sincerely hope that he or others can remedy this striking flaw.
I purposely bought a used 3ds to play with this version of eDuke32, and I will have to wait again....
:nayps3:
The author claims to have fixed the problem in the alpha2 version, but in the beta version the problem persists. Can anyone confirm what I am saying?
I hope someone will reply and report their own experience in this regard.

2) The one compiled by @MrHuu with recent tool which works but has a problem during saving and loading (in both cases it throws you out in the 3ds home menu), since he used the older source code:
https://gbatemp.net/attachments/eduke3d_3dsx_30-11-2017-7z.107287/

I had already posted the problem in the related thread but no one answered me. I thank anyone who is kind enough to post the requested build here, making it available for all of us.

Sadly even the 3ds version has problems: the original one doesn't even start and MrHuu's modified one can't save/load.

I have two things to say about this:

1) wtf.. Please, don't go and make false assumptions across the board.
2) The issue is; you're trying to load a bunch of music files on your memory limited old3ds. Don't do that.

• Sad

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@Nikokaro

I have two things to say about this:

1) wtf.. Please, don't go and make false assumptions across the board.
2) The issue is; you're trying to load a bunch of music files on your memory limited old3ds. Don't do that.
No, I do not use music files.
When I use mods/add-ons, I can't save. The game exits to the 3ds menu. Have you checked whether what I say is true or not? Use any expansion, and check if you can save and reload.

Edit: I have to admit that in previous posts I used expressions that were a bit strong (but not too much either) and I apologize for that, but the substance of the argument does not change. I was also impatient that no one was responding to me, giving me right or wrong. However, I am grateful for your build and hope to make it up to you for my previous vehemence: after all I am a man who promotes peace and concord among users.:);)

Last edited by Nikokaro,

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, I do not use music files.
When I use mods/add-ons, I can't save. The game exits to the 3ds menu. Have you checked whether what I say is true or not? Use any expansion, and check if you can save and reload.

Edit: I have to admit that in previous posts I used expressions that were a bit strong (but not too much either) and I apologize for that, but the substance of the argument does not change. I was also impatient that no one was responding to me, giving me right or wrong. However, I am grateful for your build and hope to make it up to you for my previous vehemence: after all I am a man who promotes peace and concord among users.:);)

Yes, i did test them. The only way i can reproduce the issue you're encountering is to load additional stuff next to the addons.
In fact, i'm running it right now on a 2DS. Saving / loading without issues.

When an application returns to the homemenu without crashing, there's a very high chance of libctru shutting down on failure of memory allocation. There a almost no checks in the code which shut down the application, it would just crash on most issues or cause other undefined behavior.

I'm clueless about which .grp's your trying to load, but 1.5 atomic edition runs flawless on my end. Same goes for the addons.
Unless i'm able to reproduce the issue, i can't do anything about it.

Attachments

• duke3d.jpg
    duke3d.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 65

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm clueless about which .grp's your trying to load, but 1.5 atomic edition runs flawless on my end. Same goes for the addons.
Unless i'm able to reproduce the issue, i can't do anything about it.
If I can I will post a short video showing the problem within a few hours. Okay?

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Sorry, I haven't played it in a while. How do I go to the game menu to save? I don't remember the button combination. Pressing start doesn't give me the game menu...... How was it done? šŸ˜„

Anyway, I managed to load the last save of Duke Caribbean, and this is the result:

Last edited by Nikokaro,

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Since I deleted the music file I can save with 3dsx files. Why is it possible to save with the CIA version and not with the 3dsx when there are music files ?

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing is extremely annoying. Been trying to get it to work for weeks. First I was getting the ARM crashes, then I downloaded the MrHuu .3dsx file and file structure, and now all I get is, "Could not open touchpadOverlay.bin - Press START to exit". -_-

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
This thing is extremely annoying. Been trying to get it to work for weeks. First I was getting the ARM crashes, then I downloaded the MrHuu .3dsx file and file structure, and now all I get is, "Could not open touchpadOverlay.bin - Press START to exit". -_-
Hello. Unfortunately I too had problems with this emulator some time ago, and haven't touched it since, much preferring the recent JfDuke3D for DSi to play the various DN3D add-on episodes.
I hope its author or someone else can help you. :)

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. Unfortunately I too had problems with this emulator some time ago, and haven't touched it since, much preferring the recent JfDuke3D for DSi to play the various DN3D add-on episodes.
I hope its author or someone else can help you. :)
Thanks. Your inquiries, and the authors answers have been invaluable.

Anyway, I figured it out. Error on my part, as I didn't have the 3dsx file in the right folder. Now it works -- the base game, anyway; haven't even messed with the expansion packs yet -- but no music. I believe I have the .ogg's in the correct directory, and the files are named correctly, but all I could find at the time were the "high res", remastered music files. Not sure if that's effecting anything. I'll tinker with it more tonight. I was also able to save. You have to use the keyboard overlay. I did have trouble exiting the game, though. Didn't think to maybe try escape on the keyboard at the time, but using the Home button and closing the application that way causes the 3DS to crash.

Thee_Stranger

Unknown Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a pretty nice port. Looks great, nice frame rate. Nice use of the touchscreen for keyboard, or stylus controls.

So, I finally got the music working, but now I'm noticing that the mirrors don't render correctly. I just get weird ghosting of whatever image is in the frame of the mirror. Does anyone know if this is a known issue, or of a possible fix? Thanks.

EDIT: Apparently, this particular glitch is a known anamoly of the Build Engine called the "HoM" (Hall of Mirrors) glitch. A simple mistake in the geometry can cause the glitch if the mirror can't pull all the proper sectors. All the mirrors in the game suffer from this glitch in this current build, near as I can tell. Youtube videos of the 3DS port are scant, but from what I can see, it's an issue with 3DS EDuke. Not sure if it's just the .3dsx version that I'm using, or if this is also present in the .cia build. If it is just me, please someone let me know.

If there is a fix, also please hit me up. Thank you.

Last edited by Thee_Stranger,

MastaG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nah, it should work straight away with the same game files. I have both, N3DS and O3DS and DN3D is working as expected.
To turn off the 3DS : long press on the power button.

EDIT : Where are located your game files ? (full path with names)

EDIT 2 : See attached files that go to your 3DS folder. You will need to add your GRP files as this is copyrighted.
Thanks for this :)

I've extracted it to my 3ds folder and used the duke3d.grp and music files from the megaton edition from Steam.
Works great!

Only two bugs so far:
- Closing the game using the home button will crash my 3DS when attempting to launch something else, so I have to properly close the game using the main menu.
- Mirrors show a strange effect and don't reflect anything.

Otherwise it's great, even the controls are spot on.

Reactions: CrashMidnick

RoosterMange

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to run the Duke Nukem Forever 2013 mod on this port? Or mods in general? Also, I've noticed mirrors don't work properly and was wondering if there was a fix for this. They work in the Blood port so I know it's possible to do, I'm just not sure how to get it to work here.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ