Gaming Windows 7 VS Windows 8 RTM 9200?!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Windows interface might be good for tablets and convertible laptops, but for any normal computer, touchscreen or not, it just sucks.
Plus you can't do half of the normal things from the desktop, which is just ridiculous.

I don't see how Windows 8 "improves" upon Windows 7 besides for the UI, and since I don't like that change, I'm sticking with 7.
What do you mean by "normal things"?

Also, Windows 8 has built-in ISO mounting, EFI support, faster boot/loading times, and DirectX 12, among several other non-Metro upgrades.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well I purchased a new laptop less then two weeks ago ( a Dell XPS L502X ) an there was a promotion in the store to get W8 upgrade ( once it's out ) for only $15.
I think I will upgrade, turn my system into dual boot ( W7 + W8 ) so that when W8 gets better and better, and W7 less and less supported, I wouldn't have trouble ( financially ) to switch over.
Besides, once a new OS is out it's only a matter of time before the older one gets outdated.
But in the meantime, if a game runs better on W7, then that's where is going to be installed.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
The Windows interface might be good for tablets and convertible laptops, but for any normal computer, touchscreen or not, it just sucks.
Plus you can't do half of the normal things from the desktop, which is just ridiculous.

I don't see how Windows 8 "improves" upon Windows 7 besides for the UI, and since I don't like that change, I'm sticking with 7.

Also, Windows 8 has built-in ISO mounting, EFI support, faster boot/loading times, and DirectX 12, among several other non-Metro upgrades.
Normal things like bring up the control panel or launch a program that isn't shortcutted to the desktop. Both those things require going through the Metro interface which is just adding an unneeded step.

Don't care. You shouldn't use a pre-release as your main system. The system isn't well supported yet, pre-releases are made available for Devs really. Not the common consumer.
Point is that it's not a pre-release. It's the full final release. The real deal. The one you're gonna buy in the shops, or with the upgrade license.
Look out Jdbye's post for more info.
Its an RTM. There is no active update for it. Programs are still being devved for it and not being released.
Yes the build is final but the support isn't there for it. Ergo its still a pre-release even if it is the final build that only means that all the behind the scenes stuff and features have been finalised.

As I said I'm just baffled at how many of you make the jump, and completely deleted your Win7 installation for it. If you run head on into a bug that wasn't spotted (admittedly unlikely) or a program that doesn't work. Tough shit. (I am referring to that leaked RTM and not the Consumer Preview which I believe is on the same build. That RTM will probably not be on the update schedule yet. I still wouldn't recommend that as a replacement OS though). Call me paranoid or whatever I just think its stupid to not have some kind of backup OS on the system.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DX12 does not exist as of this point in time. Windows 8 includes DX11.1 which is a smaller update aimed at improving performance as well as integrating a few new features.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The biggest problem I had with 8 is that there are no updates yet thus pointless to actually use, I don't agree with most of the comments above saying that 8 is more or less the same as 7 cause its not, speeds are through the roof on both load times for installs and uninstalls as well as gaming. The thing to remember before you all give me the what for lol, is there isn't any updates that 8 needs right now with the exception of one or two that I have gotten before mostly for the .net framework and visual basic 2010.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Normal things like bring up the control panel or launch a program that isn't shortcutted to the desktop. Both those things require going through the Metro interface which is just adding an unneeded step.

Don't care. You shouldn't use a pre-release as your main system. The system isn't well supported yet, pre-releases are made available for Devs really. Not the common consumer.
Point is that it's not a pre-release. It's the full final release. The real deal. The one you're gonna buy in the shops, or with the upgrade license.
Look out Jdbye's post for more info.
Its an RTM. There is no active update for it. Programs are still being devved for it and not being released.
Yes the build is final but the support isn't there for it. Ergo its still a pre-release even if it is the final build that only means that all the behind the scenes stuff and features have been finalised.

As I said I'm just baffled at how many of you make the jump, and completely deleted your Win7 installation for it. If you run head on into a bug that wasn't spotted (admittedly unlikely) or a program that doesn't work. Tough shit. (I am referring to that leaked RTM and not the Consumer Preview which I believe is on the same build. That RTM will probably not be on the update schedule yet. I still wouldn't recommend that as a replacement OS though). Call me paranoid or whatever I just think its stupid to not have some kind of backup OS on the system.
I used the Win7 beta for 6 months without a single hitch. You're just overdramatizing this entire stuff.

Actually, I remember well for Win7 that the first updates started rolling already some days after the RTM, so I'm sure that with Win8 it'll be the same.

After all the Consumer Preview probably already got a boatloads of bug reports, so updates for Win8 are probably already rolling since a long time.

aireca

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, looks like many people is still confused about this

Well:

Windows 8 RTM It's basically 2 UIs on 1 OS:

Metro UI (The New Touch Style) & the Desktop UI wich is basically a Copy-Paste of Windows 7 UI without the Win7 Start button

You can install "Start8" to recover the Win7 start menu anyway & have a complete Win7 UI , also there is "Classic Shell" both free

Metro UI it's not Necesary to touch at all, Start8 even have an option to disable the Hotspots (Metro corners)

The Desktop UI have everything from Windows 7 EVERYTHING, Control Panel included with the exception of the Start Button, you can use "Start8" to recover the Win7 Start Button

Metro UI have also everything but with touch controls, I dont use that much the metro interfase, just for entertainment purposes.

I have all my software from windows 7 on windows 8 Installed & working, even the Hibrid ATI + Nvidia PhysX Mod works, so yes, drivers from windows 7 works perfectly on win8

So there is: Windows 8 is Windows 7 Interfase again plus the metro touch interfase wich is not necessary to touch at all (lol)

Screenshot of Start8 into Windows 8 Enterprise Evaluation Build 9200 (Official MS RTM 90 Day Trial):
Start8-for-Windows-8.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival