Gaming Windows 7 VS Windows 8 RTM 9200?!

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pro Tip: Don't install a bloody beta/pre-release OS as your main system OS.
It bugs me how many people on this forum did it. ITS A BETA! Its not meant for full use just now. And that leaked version is gonna become rife with problems once the actual release comes out. I had enough trouble when I dual booted (getting rid of the OS choice menu was a bitch and I'm still not sure I actually managed)

Seriously right now stick with WIndows 7. Its just what you should do. Wait until the full build comes out then think about upgrading,
Leaked version is =/= with the release version.... If anyone is gonna say the md5 is different, do your research the 1 file that is different just says CAMPUS (= microsoft redmond) instead of RELEASE (retail).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Still a prerelease. Little to no bug support yet as nobody is supposed to be uig it while the consumer preview might get some because its officially available

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Not good, it keeps Sad Facing of Doom on me.
I used to be all up in the air for windows 8 until i got the enterprise version.
Nothing at all changed really and the general interface felt very limited, like what I feel like when going onto a mobile or osx/linux.

nico445

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Probably buying the upgrade since it's only 15 euro.. but not sure if i'm going to use it as my main os
Metro just doesn't work that great with a mouse :\

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Leaked version is =/= with the release version.... If anyone is gonna say the md5 is different, do your research the 1 file that is different just says CAMPUS (= microsoft redmond) instead of RELEASE (retail).
The release isn't for two more months... the RTM is to get the main system out to major devs (and computer companies) to prepare driver and software support (though we all saw how lazy they were with the move from NT5 to NT6).

The Minecrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is what I think of it after trying the developer preview and the release canidate

Pros: Start up time is faster, new login methods, simpler areo effect, Ribbon interface on windows explorer(love this), updated task manager,...
Cons:Metro is ugly and bulky to use with the mouse, have to scroll sideways instead of up and down, ability to have advertisements on metro, can become really messy once you start installing a lot of programs, no windows 7 start menu, settings and stuff have been moved around, no option to disable metro.

Final thoughts: With all of the tablet craze, Microsoft seems to be pushing for tablet based OSes on both tablets and desktops. Their mistake is not letting people disable certain features. I love the new windows explorer additions and similar stuff, but metro is just awkward and annoying for me. I would say that windows 7 is the better OS, and you should wait until Microsoft comes out with their next OS, and skip Windows 8.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The release isn't for two more months... the RTM is to get the main system out to major devs (and computer companies) to prepare driver and software support (though we all saw how lazy they were with the move from NT5 to NT6).
When I say release, that is that msdn version.... Campus are the version they use at microsoft, they do this so that they can find out who leaked what.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pro Tip: Don't install a bloody beta/pre-release OS as your main system OS.
It bugs me how many people on this forum did it. ITS A BETA! Its not meant for full use just now. And that leaked version is gonna become rife with problems once the actual release comes out. I had enough trouble when I dual booted (getting rid of the OS choice menu was a bitch and I'm still not sure I actually managed)

Seriously right now stick with WIndows 7. Its just what you should do. Wait until the full build comes out then think about upgrading,
I had Windows 7 RC1 for 6 months before the RTM came out and it worked marvelous. Not a single bug or error.

Stay away from Alphas and Betas, but from Release Candidates on, you can safely use the system.

Windows 8 is RTM (Final), so it's perfectly good to use. ...if you can stand Metro.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So much hate for Metro...maybe I don't mind it only because I'm using a laptop (and you can actually scroll sideways with the trackpad).
Or maybe because I'm on a Mac and I use the Metro Start menu the way I use OSX's Launchpad (the iPad-esque app launcher).
FYI, Build 9200 IS the full build. Doesn't matter if it's not officially out yet, the fact of the matter is that it is exactly the same as what's going to get released in a few months from now. There already is some driver support, so chances are that any issues that you'll have right now will be still there on Day 1. I used Windows 7 RTM when it went gold 3 months before release and didn't have any issues.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't care. You shouldn't use a pre-release as your main system. Ever. Its just asking for trouble every single time. The system isn't well supported yet, pre-releases are made available for Devs really. Not the common consumer.
I just find it perplexing that people jump so quickly to replacing their entire OS.

Despite my dislike for Windows 8 I am really tempted by the £25 upgrade price. Better kernel and sharing, integrated store. If only I could run Metro Apps in Windowed mode I'd be happy.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't care. You shouldn't use a pre-release on your main system. Ever. Its just asking for trouble every single time. The system isn't well supported yet, pre-releases are made available for Devs really. Not the common consumer.
I just find it perplexing that people jump so quickly to replacing their entire OS.

Despite my dislike for Windows 8 I am really tempted by the £25 upgrade price. Better kernel and sharing, integrated store. If only I could run Metro Apps in Windowed mode I'd be happy.

I do allot of testing by nature, but this thread was was put together with the thought that I'd like to hear what you all think as individuals nothing more and nothing less, as such I have gone back to 7 and plan to stay there until 8 is better supported I know recently I have come across some programs that do now support 8 so that's a really good sign. I may stay with 7 even when 8 comes out but do to my love hate relationship with 8's metro ui I may not go back ever. I love the Metro UI by 50% but hate it by 70% even if I can turn off the UI I still find it more convenient to have the start menu.

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://kotaku.com/59...ainst-windows-7

Windows 8 vs Windows 7

Pros:
Multimedia performance slightly higher
Some web browsers perform slightly better
Frames per second (FPS) is slightly better
CPU Cycling is slightly better (For faster bootup time of applications)

Cons:
Gaming performance seems to be slightly worse
Startup boot is slightly slower
Shuts down slightly slower
3D Graphics performance slightly worse
SSD Performance is slightly worse

Based on these conclusions, in my opinion, if you're a computer gamer, I would stick with Windows 7.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I prefer Windows 7 simply because I can't live without a start menu, and the Metro UI is not a good replacement. Other than that difference there doesn't seem to be anything major separating the two.

FYI, Build 9200 IS the full build. Doesn't matter if it's not officially out yet, the fact of the matter is that it is exactly the same as what's going to get released in a few months from now.
And how do you know this?
That's how RTM builds work. It's called "Release to Manufacturing" for a reason. It's the same build that gets mass produced. I still use the Win7 RTM on my PCs (legit from TechNet) and it's the exact same build number as the mass produced version.

Reactions: 2 people

AzureuzZetsunai

HAHA, 20!... i punch it!
Trophies
Website
hashtiv.com
XP
Country
Mexico
defenetly windows 7, windows 8 have a horrible DPC lattency
:donotwant:

but im ussing windows 8 right now because of VS 2012 >_> (its a good OS, but ill go for windows 7 or Fedora)

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Don't care. You shouldn't use a pre-release as your main system. The system isn't well supported yet, pre-releases are made available for Devs really. Not the common consumer.
Point is that it's not a pre-release. It's the full final release. The real deal. The one you're gonna buy in the shops, or with the upgrade license.

Look out Jdbye's post for more info.

Reactions: 1 person

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FYI, Build 9200 IS the full build. Doesn't matter if it's not officially out yet, the fact of the matter is that it is exactly the same as what's going to get released in a few months from now.
And how do you know this?
If a build is labelled "RTM" and is announced as such, it always is the final build, the one released to manufacturers to be preloaded on new PCs and the one released on TechNet. This is the way it has been for years.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
The Windows interface might be good for tablets and convertible laptops, but for any normal computer, touchscreen or not, it just sucks.
Plus you can't do half of the normal things from the desktop, which is just ridiculous.

I don't see how Windows 8 "improves" upon Windows 7 besides for the UI, and since I don't like that change, I'm sticking with 7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol