~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
ChrisRX said:
Seeing as you're in the UK your school's computers are probably bought from RM. As far as I know the RM standard is still XP.
Therefore schools themselves can't update to windows 7 because then they'd lose support from RM by installing over their customised drive image.
thats right we use rm on our shools (F# you RM hurry up and update befre i leave secondary school
cry.gif
)
but then again, Universitys going to have better PC's (i hope)

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
From my experience, the schools I've went to all used Macs. They're actually more expensive, but much easier and cheaper to maintain because they don't have to worry about viruses.
we had macs at oyur school as well, but we don't have any Mac technicians so that means no mac
frown.gif

ChrisRX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
ChrisRX said:
Seeing as you're in the UK your school's computers are probably bought from RM. As far as I know the RM standard is still XP.
Therefore schools themselves can't update to windows 7 because then they'd lose support from RM by installing over their customised drive image.
thats right we use rm on our shools (F# you RM hurry up and update befre i leave secondary school
cry.gif
)
but then again, Universitys going to have better PC's (i hope)
Well RM probably isn't going to bother with updating their old computers to windows 7 because there's just no money in it for them. In the drive images for their new computers they may well use 7, but otherwise I can't see them upgrading their outdated machines.

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
ChrisRX said:
Well RM probably isn't going to bother with updating their old computers to windows 7 because there's just no money in it for them. In the drive images for their new computers they may well use 7, but otherwise I can't see them upgrading their outdated machines.
but they will in the future right? yes, ok i'll wait

Jasper07

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Our school aaaaaaalmost bought it, but then people decided that the school had to pay the books instead of the students, and now we have the most crappy books ever and windows XP with windows 96 look
frown.gif

$uPeRJjS&#0

Trophies
XP
Country
My school is chucking out all the vistas desktops. LOL, becuase next year everyone in my school gets a free mac.
smile.gif

HAHA I can't wait becuase my plan is to put 7 on it wen i get it.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
$uPeRJjS$kAt3 said:
My school is chucking out all the vistas desktops. LOL, becuase next year everyone in my school gets a free mac.
smile.gif

HAHA I can't wait becuase my plan is to put 7 on it wen i get it.
install arch linux with awesome window manager on it and tell everybody at school you're a hacker

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think i know the two biggest reasons why they don't use windows 7 in public schools.
1) the price- They just can't afford it right now. I think they don't want to upgrade some of them and not others. It's not like it would make the computer any more useful. the vast majority of kids using public school computers only use microsoft word, excel, powerpoint, etc. and a web browser.
2) Schools are being run by old people. Old people don't know how to use computers. if you change the slightest little thing about their computer they can't work it.

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Our university gives (or rather, loans) all students a laptop as part of the tuition fee, and this year's models all had Windows 7 installed. Decent enough machines- mid-range Core 2 Duos, 1366x768 resolution with HDMI-out... but they came with only one gig of RAM and a LOT of pre-installed crapware, which is what I expect from Lenovo anyways. I never even bothered to pick mine up, since my old one is already superior (different resolution, but that's a matter of preference), but I expect they're unbearably slow. Someone was saying there was an option to get a free second gig of RAM installed, but I never saw an official announcement about it.

And of course, all the art majors get Macbooks instead of Lenovo notebooks, and even a free Adobe CS5 package.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
tatripp said:
I think i know the two biggest reasons why they don't use windows 7 in public schools.
1) the price- They just can't afford it right now. I think they don't want to upgrade some of them and not others. It's not like it would make the computer any more useful. the vast majority of kids using public school computers only use microsoft word, excel, powerpoint, etc. and a web browser.
2) Schools are being run by old people. Old people don't know how to use computers. if you change the slightest little thing about their computer they can't work it.
1) The price is not nearly as big as you think. Bigger is the workload that goes with upgrading an entire system. Not only do they have to upgrade each computer (which, admittedly, can be done with the press of a button then left unattended), but also the servers that the computers link up to, and then find and iron out any bugs that arise from the transition. Then there's training, and even after everybody is comfortable with the new OS, there're still security vulnerabilities that the tallented student will always discover.
2) You'd be surprised. My old secondary school is now being run by a kid I knew who was in the year below me. Many schools are also taking the same approach - taking ex students who know the school and know what's good for the students and making sure the adults aren't just imposing their authority on the students.

Question: An adult treats a kid badly. That kid grows up into an adult. Should that adult treat the other kids badly?

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
my school has got core 2 duo's with XP, and they've got free copies of 7 and MS office. My IT teacher told me that my school pays MS a considerable sum of money every year, and they can give windows 7 and office away for free
yay.gif

but still, windows 7 would be better at our school

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My school still uses XP and I agree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". There's nothing wrong with XP don't get me wrong but there's time when a teacher wants to look up an educational video on YouTube but the systems are still running IE6, YouTube has officially opted out of IE6 lol.

Personally I believe my school should have a school-wide Chrome transition only because its environment is much more suitable for a school. Chrome auto updates without intruding notification and those updates include Adobe Flash integrated so everything stays up-to-date.

Chrome is able to be installed on each system without the use of administrative rights so the smart kids will just download it and install it but that has to be done every computer because I don't believe programs installed on an account stay on the account, it would stay on the computer. I've found a work around which uses Firefox portable except its pasted onto my network drive (every kid is assigned their own network drive) so its accessible everywhere I go. I wouldn't recommend Firefox for school just because its environment isn't seamless like Chrome's.

They also all run Cisco Cleaning Agent which is extremely annoying. Anyone know a bypass?
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch