Windows 3.1

gamewitch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Windows 3.1 will be turning 20 tomorrow. any thoughts about the past twenty years in computing?
it is amazing how far we have come in twenty years, when you can emulate almost perfectly a machine from the same era as 3.1 on newer systems. I think every one should take a moment of silence for the land mar in nerdom.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hell, you can emulate a Windows 95 system nowadays without much trouble.
I remember using Windows 3.1 at primary school. It barely had anything installed and there wasn't much to do on it, but there were some learning games and one in particular was frequently played by everyone in my class. Fun times.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 3.1 and 3.11 were amazing for their time. I have faint memories of the os my dad had prior since I was only like 5 years old its fuzzy. The past 20 have been amazing considering the phone I have in my pocket (the s 3) is probably like 1000x as fast as the PCs I was using back then. I was looking forward to these days with high hopes and I am not let down at all.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just built a Windows 95/98 dual boot machine for some nostalgia gaming. It brings me back to a time when you has to know something to be able to build a computer.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I myself have never seen Windows 3.1 on a computer. by the time I started using computers, XP was already out. This might be a good reason to put all my old computer parts together, and build an old school computer for fun, though.

robgraves

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is AWESOME, windows 3.1 was the first windows version I ever used, I was like 11 or 12 back then, using AOL 2.0 (from DOS) Doom, Falcon 3.0, kickin' times...lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have no real feelings concerning the matter, it was nice enough as having little to do other than play, break the machine and fix it taught me an awful lot but still no fondness.
Still revisiting a choice video

P.S. I believe we are very nearly at the 365 day mark until windows XP is no longer supported in any way, shape or form.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/products/lifecycle

Reactions: Celice

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
By all means, windows 3.1 was never a OS it is only a GUI.
People are NOT ready for the future and they weren't either 20 years ago.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
While back in the days of my computing infancy I was raised on Apple Macs, I did receive an old Compaq 386 with Windows 3.1 from my uncle in '97 and had my buddy who was pretty heavy into PC's teaching me how to use DOS and things like pkzip... God, was that boring. I never ended up doing much with it though and didn't really get into PC's until I built my first P4 in '03.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Windows 3.1 even runs on DS2x86. I boot it occasionally to play some Daleks.
Exterminate! Exterminate! EXTERMINATE!!!!
I couldn't resist doing that.

On topic, I actually do run Windows 3.1 on my DSTwo just to show it off really. I rarely use it for much other than that.

-Lucario

Reactions: Rydian and VatoLoco

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Man, I'm kinda glad 3.1 is obsolete...

I could never figure out the minimize and close buttons, and installers couldn't even autodetect which drives were CD drives and which were hard drives.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I don't want to risk getting back to topic... but does anybody recall what the retail price of Windows 3.11 was at launch?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the only use I had for Windows before 95 was the occasional Sierra game with a CD ROM version with enhanced features if you played in Win. And even that usually wasn't worth bothering with Win 3.x.

I did install Win3.11 in DOSBOX a few years ago, just for lulz. Was even worse than I remembered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay