Hacking Will you still buy a 3DS if it can't be hacked?

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

player1244

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'll probably buy it if the price drops. I'll buy the games to support the devs, and if the 3DS gets hacked, I'll prepare for some awesome homebrewness!

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
No one will never magically re-educate a pirate into becoming a respectable, full MSRP paying consumer. They are not sales now, they weren't sales in the past, they won't be sales in the future and you aren't going to stop them. The only way to curb the very small amount of "casual piracy" is to do what Valve does and expand and further develop communities and content that pirates can't have access to, giving incentive to purchase a real copy. Unless Nintendo makes buying games easier and more convenient than piracy (see: Steam), they might as well just consider piracy numbers to not exist.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Games from Steam aren't pirate proof, and if someone doesn't care about the online community (which I'm sure is like any other online community), achievements, etc. and want to just play the game, a quick search with Google will help them with that like any other thing that can be pirated. The difference in convenience of downloading from Steam vs downloading a pirated/cracked version from somewhere else is not really big. Steam may offer extras, and Nintendo "may" also at some point, but their focus right now involves their supposed tech to help reduce piracy on their new handheld. If they can keep the pirates at bay, then that'll help move resources from that department to another, like actual improvements and functionality in firmware updates.

silverbullet1080

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
DiscostewSM said:
Games from Steam aren't pirate proof, and if someone doesn't care about the online community (which I'm sure is like any other online community), achievements, etc. and want to just play the game, a quick search with Google will help them with that like any other thing that can be pirated. The difference in convenience of downloading from Steam vs downloading a pirated/cracked version from somewhere else is not really big. Steam may offer extras, and Nintendo "may" also at some point, but their focus right now involves their supposed tech to help reduce piracy on their new handheld. If they can keep the pirates at bay, then that'll help move resources from that department to another, like actual improvements and functionality in firmware updates.
1. Gabe Newell even admits that Steam's piracy numbers are so small that he doesn't give a shit.
2. No amount of anti-piracy will turn pirates into full paying customers. They are not sales now, they weren't sales in the past, they won't be sales in the future and you aren't going to stop them. Whether or not they even exist will not affect sales.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
silverbullet1080 said:
2. No amount of anti-piracy will turn pirates into full paying customers. They are not sales now, they weren't sales in the past, they won't be sales in the future and you aren't going to stop them. Whether or not they even exist will not affect sales.

Your assumption is that a pirate never paid, won't pay, and will never pay, but you're wrong on all accounts. A pirate at some point in the past possibly paid for games. One possible reason, as stated in these forums, was that they didn't know they could pirate. As for now, some people who pirate have said that if a game is worth it after trying it out, they'll go and buy it. And as for the future, the recent poll about the 3DS and if people would still buy it if it couldn't be hacked clearly shows that they would still pay and also "support the developers".

Will all pirates turn into full paying customers? No, but not all pirates have, do and will continue to be full-fledged pirates.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not buying one if it can't be hacked either,in my country you can't even find NDS cartridges in shops,and even if i could,i wouldn't buy them,why should i buy something if i can get it for free ?

Yeah a typical pirate blah blah,but you also must not ignore the fact that some things wouldn't be as popular/big as they are if it wasn't for internet.

Internet is a free advertisement for everything,of course they are paying for websites,but they do not pay anything for youtube/google advertisements,where people just bump into stuff,and get hooked.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Of course I am still buying it. Hacked, flashcard, ect, I really don't care if they come out for it, I am not going to get them since I really just don't want to. I spent more than enough on flashcards for the DS and really just don't need them for the 3DS

campbell00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
silverbullet1080 said:
DiscostewSM said:
1. Gabe Newell even admits that Steam's piracy numbers are so small that he doesn't give a shit.

I'm gonna disagree with you, here: if a pirate can't get games for free, that DOES NOT mean that he will not buy them. For example, if I cant download a game with all of it's features, I'll buy it. I did it with band bros DX, korg-ds+, and pokemon black. Nintendo produces a formidable AP system, I'll be happy to purchase games.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I voted Possibly simply because I have no idea if I'll get a 3DS whether it can be hacked or not. I'd like to have one, but might not for the same reason I don't own an Xbox 360 or PS3: consoles/handhelds are getting more expensive, and there are other things I'd like to spend my money on.

KaitoTheRamenBan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk if anyone said this yet, but when people say its "unhackable," its utter bs, anything can be hacked whether they like it or not. It depends on the effort that the person wants to make

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Something as popular and money making system as this will for sure be hacked,there is nothing that can't be hacked,it might take longer if they changed/added/something to their security.

But there is no such thing as unhackable like the person above me said.

I'm not a hacker,so I'm not trying to look smart,but everything has to work both ways.

Arwen20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As soon as the North American release date is announced I will be in line to place my pre-order. Along with my pre-order for Zelda Ocarina of Time.
biggrin.gif

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
3dzsca2.png

^ I already Pre Order mine.
And I only have to pick it up at one of them. If it's on a school day, I will go to the shop closer to my school.
If it's on a free day, I'll go to my local store.

So obviously a yes, on launch day with some bought games. heh

Also, I'm the first Pre-Ordering at both shops.
biggrin.gif
(Both E-Plaza, but other location)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol