Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?

• Total voters

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I went ahead and did the official upgrade after trying out the RTM a few days ago. It installed a lot faster this go around, which is a plus. Not much else to say about it though. I already knew everything I used would work, and that all my drivers were updated to function a-okay.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Right now this is on Downloading Windows 10 - Preparing for installation (about 50%)

Will this thing install automatically after the above stage is complete? I don't want it to be Windows 10 when I get back from a trip to town. Still have to make a backup.

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
Right now this is on Downloading Windows 10 - Preparing for installation (about 50%)

Will this thing install automatically after the above stage is complete? I don't want it to be Windows 10 when I get back from a trip to town. Still have to make a backup.
No. It will toss a pop up asking you to agree to stuff and to actually initiate the install. You can minimize it and put it off until you're good and ready.
Are they going by a queue? I have 3 computers waiting for a notification that they're ready.
It downloads 10 via Windows Update. Maybe you just need to check for updates.

Reactions: zoogie

Nathan Drake

Trophies
XP
Country
I have 2 of my 3 computers at my disposal right now. Both have the "Get Windows 10" icon on the bottom, but neither are giving me anything regarding Windows 10 via Windows Update.
Well, you could do what I did. I clicked the Windows 10 icon, and it had a button that said I could already upgrade. I thought it was kind of odd, but I went through with it. It made it to the start of the install, crashed, and booted back into 8.1. After that, Windows Update opened, complained about a failed update, and then Windows 10 started downloading in a separate Windows Update window that opened. Maybe it was just the restart that did it, but I mean, it worked, so it's something.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
working mighty fine now, just wierd in removed my virusscanner (bitdefender total security) without any notification... reinstalled it and it's working now...asside of that it's working fine!

D

Deleted User

It didn't want to download automatically earlier today, so i manually installed it. It's amazing!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Technically you'll need to upgrade to Windows 10 first so your machines configuration gets whitelisted on their activation server as that's how the authentication process happens. You can't just pop in your old product key. After that however you can perform a clean install using their ISO creation tool or by performing a full reset in Windows 10.

Retail version.
Easiest, quickest and most hassle free method there is imho.

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't gotten a notification yet. Checked the Get Windows 10 app and Windows Update a few times, nothing.

I can wait.

loco365

Trophies
XP
So I managed to disable web search and Cortana, so it just searches the computer now. Don't need any of that web bullshit in my face. If I want to search the web, that's what a web browser is for.

To do this, open the search, then click the gear in the left-side pane. Switch both the Cortana toggle and the "Search online and include web results" to off, and it will only search locally on your computer.

Reactions: matpower

Monado_III

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably will upgrade my Windows 7 on my tri-boot system (Mint 17.1, Fedora 22, Win 7) but never use except when Wine doesn't work, which with a little tinkering is becoming increasingly rare. Should probably just uninstall Win 7 (which is taking up 80gb on my 256gb ssd) and use Win 10 in a virtual box which I can store in an external hdd....

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Status update:

Not really sure what's going on with my 2nd desktop PC regarding the update. Checked Windows Update again, and it said it had a failed install. Looking into the history, it was attempting to install Windows 10 Pro (roughly 5 times now), and the order of which the errors came from them were as follows...

80240020 - 3 times - Windows 10 installation folder is unfinished and/or corrupted. Follow steps to delete stuff in SoftwareDistribution\Download folder, run "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" under admin command prompt, and go back into Windows Update - did it, but no redownloading
80246007 - 1 time - Change or restart the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) - did, but still had problems
80010108 - 1 time - Run the System Update Readiness Tool - currently downloading

While I'm in the process of downloading this tool, I kept searching around for answers, and I got this message on Microsoft's website (not a pop-up, but it did some out of nowhere)

-------------

July 29, 2015 - Where's my upgrade? It's coming!

With your reservation, you are in the queue for your upgrade. Watch for your notification to arrive in the coming days or weeks. At that point, you can upgrade immediately or pick a time that works for you.

------------

So they are going off a queue, and I just have to wait? It's odd that I've had all these problems because it wanted to do it automatically, yet they tell me this? Maybe I'm "back in the queue" after the failed installation.....

My laptop, however, seems to finally be doing something after doing the step above regarding error code 80240020.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la