Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?

Will you be upgrading to Windows 10?

• Total voters

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, as long as you've upgraded legitimately from a previous Windows version to Windows 10 using the upgrade offer program then your machines configuration gets whitelsited on the Microsoft activation servers. Keys aren't important in this regard. You could use a generic Windows 10 key to perform a clean install, but when it comes to activating your copy, as long as it recognises your machine as being whitelisted, your copy will be activated. Of course, if you change your PCs hardware it may not activate.
Im trusting you guy backed up my stuff last night and gonna do a fresh install ill report back how everything goes

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, as long as you've upgraded legitimately from a previous Windows version to Windows 10 using the upgrade offer program then your machines configuration gets whitelsited on the Microsoft activation servers. Keys aren't important in this regard. You could use a generic Windows 10 key to perform a clean install, but when it comes to activating your copy, as long as it recognises your machine as being whitelisted, your copy will be activated. Of course, if you change your PCs hardware it may not activate.

Okay, and what about upgrading to 10, getting the key, downgrade back to 7, then install 10 on another HDD? Is that feasible? Would this allow me to do a second partition install, the ISO method? http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm upgrading today. I ended up downgrading to Windows 7 because It's the only OS I have legitimately. But since Windows Update is barely functioning I ended up downloading the ISO and am going to install windows 10 manually. But hey, at least I'll be genuine.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Yeah, I just performed the install last night and I intend to do the Windows refresh later on today to simulate the clean install I'm after. I also backed up my entire hard drive (Including the OS in case Windows 10 fucked anything up, which it hasn't so far) so I can just selectively restore/archive files on my external hard drive. I decided to upgrade from 8.1 for the fact that 10 is everything 8 wasn't. If I were running 7, I'd probably stay there and see what comes of 10.

I really do wish they'd clear up the whole activation thing though, it's such a mess as it is right now.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as that second HDD does not belong to a different computer I don't see why not.
Because I've been told that it's not possible by others, and yet, these guides make it seem like it shouldn't be an issue, so I don't even know until someone else has tried it lol.

So you used the upgrade option using this http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and have your key and its activated?

Judging from what I've read, it activates automatically online.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't need a key. It just upgraded my legitimate installation of Windows 7 with no further identification necessary.
I understand that but it gives you a windows 10 key it should show a new key in system information. I want to know if it says activated

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't need a key. It just upgraded my legitimate installation of Windows 7 with no further identification necessary.

But I still haven't been able to find out if that ISO method would allow installation to another drive, then activate the key code online? I think my question regarding second hdd installs is being buried.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that but it gives you a windows 10 key it should show a new key in system information. I want to know if it says activated
Il4kBd9.jpg

Reactions: Xenon Hacks

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country

It does give you a new key and it automatically activates, as soon as you're connected to the internet.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm upgrading my Surface Pro 3 right now, but I'm going to wait with upgrading my Win7 boxes until I've tried it out properly. I'm not sure it's worthy of replacing Windows 7. I'll probably wait for a 3rd party start menu for it at least, if I can't get used to the new one. It all depends on whether I like the UI changes or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay