Gaming Will upgrading my Router and Modem increase internet speed?

asdf

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I pay for 6mb/s internet, and this is what speed test gives me:

Yea... Not to mention, I can only download at max 150kb/s.

So now, I want to increase my internet speed, and for my current ISP, we can't go any higher without switching to cable (which is $150 to install, mind you). My current router and modem are at least 7 years old. Would upgrading both increase my download and upload speeds?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I would say it depends on a number of factors. What type of connection are you on at the moment, adsl, adsl2, or something else?
If you're on adsl/adsl2 it could be down to the poor quality of your telephone line, or just contention on your telephone exchange with other users. Do you always get poor speeds, or is it during peak times?

If possible post the type of modem and router you have. If you're on adsl/adsl2 you should also try and get your line stats by logging into your modem. Distance from the telephone exchange and noise on the line will severely impact internet speed.

asdf

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have adsl. I always get poor speeds. During peak times I usually get around 50-70kb/s.

My modem is a Speedstream 4100 and my router is a Linksys WRT54GS

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well the Linksys WRT54GS should be fine for those type of speeds. I believe it begins to have problems once you hit over 20Mbps.

From looking up about that modem briefly it should be able to handle 6Mbps also.

I would guess that it is either contention, or just poor line stats/distance. You would have to plug your computer directly into the modem, bypassing the router and log in via the web browser, to check your line stats. Either that contact your isp who should be able to tell you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1