Hacking WiiU VC game injection working on 5.3.2

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh well. Now it's just about waiting for a Snes9x port. It might happen eventually, regarding all the progress done in WiiU homebrew stuff.

In the mean time, Snes9x Next on RA 1.3.6 and Snes9xGX 4.3.3 mod do the job well enough, even Star Fox and Yoshi's Island run full speed, and they both use Blargg's S-SMP core, Nintendo rarely focuses on accuracy. M2 on the other hand, the team who wrote the DS and GBA emulators for the Wii U are far more compatible and accurate, not to mention I've had far higher success with ROM injection with those two.

Reactions: VinsCool

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
In the mean time, Snes9x Next on RA 1.3.6 and Snes9xGX 4.3.3 mod do the job well enough, even Star Fox and Yoshi's Island run full speed, and they both use Blargg's S-SMP core, Nintendo rarely focuses on accuracy. M2 on the other hand, the team who wrote the DS and GBA emulators for the Wii U are far more compatible and accurate, not to mention I've had far higher success with ROM injection with those two.
DS and GBA emulators for Wii U?
What the heck have I missed?!

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS and GBA emulators for Wii U?
What the heck have I missed?!

Er, bad wording on my part; M2 is a Japanese developer closely involved with Nintendo, they have written the Megadrive emulator for Wii VC, DS and GBA for Wii U, sorry to confuse ya; their emulators have a higher degree of accuracy than Nintendo's own. Sorry about that.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Er, bad wording on my part; M2 is a Japanese developer closely involved with Nintendo, they have written the Megadrive emulator for Wii VC, DS and GBA for Wii U, sorry to confuse ya; their emulators have a higher degree of accuracy than Nintendo's own. Sorry about that.
Actually the DS emulator comes from the Mobiclip devs. As well as the Wii games on eShop method.
http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually the DS emulator comes from the Mobiclip devs. As well as the Wii games on eShop method.
http://www.nerd.nintendo.com/

That link doesn't work for some reason, anyways I assumed it was from M2 because like the GBA emulator, it has an option to toggle a filter on and off, that and the two emulators are far more accurate than Nintendo's emulators. That, and they work with a higher no. of injections; games like Dragon Quest VI work perfectly, only thing is the mosaic effects aren't emulated properly (FFIV DS has a bunch of weird glitching vertical lines).

They did a helluva good job otherwise.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Odd thing I just came across is Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 outside of Japan). It's an injected ROM, but I've already experienced some odd inaccuracies. Using Magitek armor attacks like Fire Beam incorrectly displays the animations. Maybe it's just the emulator base used, because the game was officially released in Japan on Wii U VC long ago, so unless there's an issue with using an emulator base from a differing region in Loadiine, I find it odd that the person who did the injection would not choose that base.

Anyways, I hope a port of SNES9X does happen for the Wii U.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Odd thing I just came across is Final Fantasy 6 (or 3 outside of Japan). It's an injected ROM, but I've already experienced some odd inaccuracies. Using Magitek armor attacks like Fire Beam incorrectly displays the animations. Maybe it's just the emulator base used, because the game was officially released in Japan on Wii U VC long ago, so unless there's an issue with using an emulator base from a differing region in Loadiine, I find it odd that the person who did the injection would not choose that base.

BlargSNES for Wii U :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Er, BlargSnes has a lot of inaccuracies and sacrifices had to be made, such as DKC not being able to render the backgrounds without using software rendering, Snes9x 1.53 or Bsnes Performance would be a better fit :P

I noticed that too, it's the emulator they used that's at fault; I injected Chrono Trigger into the VC, it doesn't even get the Lavos' scream sound right, only two emulators get it right.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Er, BlargSnes has a lot of inaccuracies and sacrifices had to be made, such as DKC not being able to render the backgrounds without using software rendering, Snes9x 1.53 or Bsnes Performance would be a better fit :P

I noticed that too, it's the emulator they used that's at fault; I injected Chrono Trigger into the VC, it doesn't even get the Lavos' scream sound right, only two emulators get it right.
Chrono Trigger for the DS gets it right, and that was using Chrono Trigger as an injected VC title. ;)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
heh, well, blargSNES was built with the idea of having it run on an o3DS at full speed with inaccuracies. The Wii U has plenty of power to have the games be much more accurate, and even software rendered.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
heh, well, blargSNES was built with the idea of having it run on an o3DS at full speed with inaccuracies. The Wii U has plenty of power to have the games be much more accurate, and even software rendered.
I'm aware :lol:
I just meant it as a joke since I know you were involved in the development of it. xD

Out of the jokes, though, the Wii U could really benefit a lot from a nice set of emulators.
RetroArch for the Wii U would be nice, but I bet that'll come with a lack of N64 cores. :P

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrono Trigger for the DS gets it right, and that was using Chrono Trigger as an injected VC title. ;)

Mostly, some sounds are still a bit off, esp Luminaire and Lightning 2, but it's a lot closer than the horrible PSX port :P We need a new Snes emulator, Nintendo doesn't even get the S-SMP emulation right lol :lol:

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi guys,

I've been playing around with N64 injection recently and need your help.
I'm trying to get Pokemon Snap german version working. Changing the header of the german version to the european version worked and the game boots now (injected over Majoras Mask EU release).
Red dot is working perfectly, however most pictures are not recognized...

I assume this is due to some different memory addresses in the ini file. I compared the Nintendo inis for US and EUR version and found 4 lines which are different and all contain memory adresses.

These are the lines:
Code:
Pokemon Snap EUR

[Render]
ConstValue0 = 0x803ae088

[InsertIdleInst]
Address0 = 0x801df048
Inst0 = 0x3c01801F

[SpecialInst]
Address0 = 0x80006C90
Inst0 = 0x0C0016FD

[FilterHack]
TextureAddress0 = 0x200378

Code:
Pokemon Snap US

[Render]
ConstValue0 = 0x803ae578

[InsertIdleInst]
Address0 = 0x801dea88
Inst0 = 0x3c01801F

[SpecialInst]
Address0 = 0x80006FD0
Inst0 = 0x0C0017CD

[FilterHack]
TextureAddress0 = 0x1FFCD8

As you can see there are different ROM adresses for the US and EUR file, so I think there are also different adresses needed for the german ROM to work.

My question now is if you could help me figuring out what adresses need to be patched for the german file?? How can I find the adresses for the US or EUR Roms in HxD and compare them to the german ROM file??

I'm quite a noob if it comes to hex editing, so I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi guys,

I've been playing around with N64 injection recently and need your help.
I'm trying to get Pokemon Snap german version working. Changing the header of the german version to the european version worked and the game boots now (injected over Majoras Mask EU release).
Red dot is working perfectly, however most pictures are not recognized...

I assume this is due to some different memory addresses in the ini file. I compared the Nintendo inis for US and EUR version and found 4 lines which are different and all contain memory adresses.

These are the lines:
Code:
Pokemon Snap EUR

[Render]
ConstValue0 = 0x803ae088

[InsertIdleInst]
Address0 = 0x801df048
Inst0 = 0x3c01801F

[SpecialInst]
Address0 = 0x80006C90
Inst0 = 0x0C0016FD

[FilterHack]
TextureAddress0 = 0x200378

Code:
Pokemon Snap US

[Render]
ConstValue0 = 0x803ae578

[InsertIdleInst]
Address0 = 0x801dea88
Inst0 = 0x3c01801F

[SpecialInst]
Address0 = 0x80006FD0
Inst0 = 0x0C0017CD

[FilterHack]
TextureAddress0 = 0x1FFCD8

As you can see there are different ROM adresses for the US and EUR file, so I think there are also different adresses needed for the german ROM to work.

My question now is if you could help me figuring out what adresses need to be patched for the german file?? How can I find the adresses for the US or EUR Roms in HxD and compare them to the german ROM file??

I'm quite a noob if it comes to hex editing, so I'd really appreciate your help!

Thanks!!
if it was the easy everyone would do that from what someone investigated those are values in ram which means they arent real adresses but virtual adresses on the wiiu n64 emulator so it makes doing those fixes alot harder if not impossible, also pokemon snap was official released in europe so if someone from germany buys the game and dumps it it should work and should be the german version.

Neouni

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Those addresses jump all over the place, there doesn't seem to be a global shift.
You could try looking in an emulator what data is at those addresses and go find them in your german rom too.
But this is a little too specialized and mostly guesswork.

geheim

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks for your answers @pedro702 and @Neouni !
I recall @FIX94 saying that the adresses are in deed ROM adresses and not virtual adresses of the WiiU RAM. Can't find that post now, I'll tell you if I find it.

Yeah I know Pokemon Snap was released officially in europe. However, it is always the english version, they didn't make local ones like german or french available :( That's why I tried to get it working myself.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thanks for your answers @pedro702 and @Neouni !
I recall @FIX94 saying that the adresses are in deed ROM adresses and not virtual adresses of the WiiU RAM. Can't find that post now, I'll tell you if I find it.

Yeah I know Pokemon Snap was released officially in europe. However, it is always the english version, they didn't make local ones like german or french available :( That's why I tried to get it working myself.
They can't be ROM addresses.
I tried it with Biohazard 2 and the official .ini file.
I tried looking at one of the addresses that the INI mentions ot patches, and the ROM doesn't even reach to such high address.
It's definitely a RAM address, I know most games use that kind of address for their RAM.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes::angry: I Love Pianos 😡