Hacking Wiiu Nand Dump

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only reason for that step has to do with win32diskimager. It will not let you specify a path to a non existent file.
Precisely. I'm not sure why the usage of Win32 DiskImager, dd for windows or any hex editor that can open drives and do sector dumps should/will work just fine with that method because the OS should already know the volume size, regardless of whether it can read files from it or not. That's what the SD Card reader should be doing (reading that information), otherwise this wouldn't work at all, nor would you be able to format the chip to something dumb like exFAT and brick your Wii U.

Anyway, I'd personally recommend dd for windows (or just dd on linux, part of coreutils i believe) for something like this. I use both v0.5 and v0.6b3 now, but that's just personal preference, as dd got my Hackintosh up and running back in like 2005, or some year like that lol. For the NAND, since @Adr990 is using a Teensy ( i think?), nandway should work fine for both reading and writing once setup correctly. And to answer your question ADR, yes to your question about 3.3v from PC PSU if you're not using the teensy in 3v and power. I'm not sure about the 1.8v? Never seen anything about using that voltage on NAND chips in other scenes, but that could just be an oversight of my own. Don't forget your ground wire.

Last edited by EclipseSin,

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
@eMMC Trying to write to a existing file or not doesn't seem to matter.
Regardless, does anyone even have a working setup anyways atm?

---

I've tried to Dump the TSOP NAND again, no luck. In fact, bad luck.

I connected the 1.8v to TP163 and the Teensy, along with sharing the ground. No luck, but no smoke either.
Tried without the ground, no luck either.

I tried 3.3v to TP163, no luck either, same setups, no magic smoke...

But my WiiU now no longer boots, the disc tries to spin up, but stops. The fan keeps going, but no Video signal.
It has been fun while it lasted, I guess... I guess I should go over the board with my Multimeter, to see what's up. But the TSOP NAND may have been fried.

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
The guide shows the wiring and how the cables should be connected but not that he finally connected them. There's not a single YouTube video that shows how to do it. Is this finally working or not? Both backup and restore?

Why are you having big conversations about powering the nand? Is something wrong with it? Turning ON the wii U when wires are connected isn't enough?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I was thinking, if someone say dumped there nand from a uk black wiiu on FW5.3.2 would that nand not just be the same in another uk black FW5.3.2 wiiu?. So what I am saying is if someone just upped there nand here in the thread can you not just use that instead of dumping your own and save time or does it just not work like that, surely aren't they just all the same inside. One disc game works on any wiiu on that FW so surely a nand would work the same way as the game disc.

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I personnaly tried to dump the emmc and the wii U is just a brick now.

Does anyone has any proof from a succesful emmc dump ?

Nand is easier as you just have to clip a progskeet nand module on it.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

---

I connected the 1.8v to TP163 and the Teensy, along with sharing the ground. No luck, but no smoke either.

But my WiiU now no longer boots, the disc tries to spin up, but stops. The fan keeps going, but no Video signal.
It has been fun while it lasted, I guess... I guess I should go over the board with my Multimeter, to see what's up. But the TSOP NAND may have been fried.
Ouch, so now we have two Wii Us bricked as a result of attempting to dump the TSOP. I think @MisterTea's suggestion of using a NAND clip might be a better idea though, perhaps. Then you could, perhaps, power the NAND itself directly without resorting to test pads which could send power other places. Might have to have another brave soul try that though, maybe someone who's done PS3 or 360 dumping and actually knows what they're doing :P

Reactions: Margen67

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

---

It's probably not fried. You probably wiped it. Like there very well may be two of you that successfully wrote an empty file to your nand.
If not your chip may have locked itself down. If I am not mixing up my chips there is a way to reset it so it unlocks and starts working again.
Unless you powered the nand incorrectly you didn't fry it. Just for the Lulz did you guys try pulling power and the back up battery then holding the power button. Then putting the battery and power back and try booting?

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Adr990 If you didn't take it all apart already, can you take any pictures to show your connections? I thought you had pictures up (maybe I missed them in a spoiler tag), but the ones back on Page like 2 or 3 is the SD Card eMMC thing. Also be sure to remove all of your wires from the Wii U, and maybe some cleanup if it looks necessary where you were soldering, and try starting it up before putting it in the test bin. You probably already tried this though.

stsaerox

As old as the NES
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I was thinking, if someone say dumped there nand from a uk black wiiu on FW5.3.2 would that nand not just be the same in another uk black FW5.3.2 wiiu?. So what I am saying is if someone just upped there nand here in the thread can you not just use that instead of dumping your own and save time or does it just not work like that, surely aren't they just all the same inside. One disc game works on any wiiu on that FW so surely a nand would work the same way as the game disc.

Each console has its own firmware, maybe it has different encryption key or serial that matches the one and only console. Maybe you were mistaken it doesn't have to do with the region. We don't have proper access to the system to bypass them and share our firmware.

A F.A.Q would be a nice idea there. And please is this guide referring to something experimental or not? A simple question is always best answered by a simple answer. Everyone who tried has done anything wrong and their Wii U's doesn't boot?

Reactions: Reecey

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@stsaerox The guide mentioned in the opening post is experimental, although this does work on more than just the Wii U (see PS Vita). It's not possible to downgrade or anything of that sort if you have a backup, at this time, though it should be completely possible to dump both with proper connections, software, and hardware all setup correctly. And FAQs shouldn't be needed. If it isn't easy to find, chances are it's not done, not worth doing, or nothing has been posted publicly, or it's experimental and isn't suggested for End Users. Why is this hard to understand for so many, I don't know.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's probably not fried. You probably wiped it. Like there very well may be two of you that successfully wrote an empty file to your nand.
If not your chip may have locked itself down. If I am not mixing up my chips there is a way to reset it so it unlocks and starts working again.
Unless you powered the nand incorrectly you didn't fry it. Just for the Lulz did you guys try pulling power and the back up battery then holding the power button. Then putting the battery and power back and try booting?
Not to my knowledge.

But I just recieved a NAND development board, I applied the same 3.3v to it, it seems fine.
My WiiU has been out of it's casing and without it's coin battery for quite some time now, it's been off the wall plug for a good few hours now, I will try it.

---

Nope, same result.

---

@EclipseSin my NAND setup pics:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/wiiu-nand-dump.395491/page-6#post-5641385

EclipseSin

Ignorant Wizard
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I had looked at them before but couldn't find them again, thanks for the link. All looks good according to the pinouts I have as well, which are the same as Wii U Brew. I thought they looked fine before too. Did you happen to check with a Multimeter as well, from point to chip? I guess the next step would be a clip to check the chip directly.

MisterTea

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not to my knowledge.

But I just recieved a NAND development board, I applied the same 3.3v to it, it seems fine.
My WiiU has been out of it's casing and without it's coin battery for quite some time now, it's been off the wall plug for a good few hours now, I will try it.

---

Nope, same result.

---

Dumping nands with wires has always been difficult.

Just use a clip.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tried to fiddle with the NAND_UNK register?
Or tried to contact tueidj again to ask what exactly he did ??

A software approach to just dump a NAND is preferred I think. I would only ever touch and solder anything into my console when I realy need to (i.e. downgrading).

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not to my knowledge.

---

Nope, same result.

---

Did you use an actual sd card?? If not help me remember what chip is in whatever you are using as your medium.
It is possible you have extracted the nand to another chip. (maybe not but always possible)
I am gonna guess it's been overwritten by accident though. I actually may be able to help you out though.
I managed to goof up two wii Us. (processors) The two I messed up are NTSC-U though....I don't know where you are from but if you come to conclusion you've wiped the nand I have two that i've flash extracted. I would like to play around a bit if you are willing. (you may have to buy some hardware and remove your nand chip as I've never extracted with chip on so I am afraid I don't know if your method would even work)
If you end up interested pm me and I'll give you a way to contact me. I love building frankenstein.

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could try asking the Team Xecuter guys, they know alot when it comes to nand stuffs.

I doubt that ... everything they built, either software or hardware is based of work that was already available from peeps who figured it out on their own.
T-X might have realy invented stuff back in the original XBOX' days, but the 360 scene was built from homebrew coders.

So I doubt that when I tell them to take a look at the Wii (U) NAND, that they can say something about that :D
We need someone here with Wii coding expertise who knows his way around messing with certain registers.

Preferbly someone who coded stuff specifically for vWii before, because I have a feeling that NAND_UNK does something different on vWii than on a real Wii.
Would be cool if @Marionumber1 have a few more ideas about that ... I'm just thinking out loud here.

Reactions: ploggy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can