WiiU is on 5.5.5, getting error 105-4206 "unable to connect to server" trying to play Zelda BotW

meclo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi everyone! My WiiU is on 5.5.5, I have Haxchi and CFW, I'm trying to play Zelda BotW but I get a "preparing update" message and then "105-4206 unable to connect to server". I have tried installing just the base game, as well as the game + the v208 update, I get the same error on both (I install all my games using WUP installer 2). I have my Wii U connected to my wifi and I can browse the internet so I know the connection works. I've tried launching it without being connected to wifi, and it still tries the update, and then says I need to connect to wifi.

Other games seem to work fine.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

On my PAL ColdBoot Haxchi modded (with v5.5.5) Wii U the Game starts and works.
Also I re-downloaded the EU Version ("Extern" not via the e-Shop) including Update v208 and DLC Content.
Internet Connection is via LAN to USB Adapter - The Download Management says "Connected to the Internet".

So from that Side everything should be fine.

Mabye the Game Files itself has some Issue ?
How did you "retrieved" that Game ?

- Copied from Original Disc (with disc2app)
- eShop
- NUSspli
- Wii U USB Helper

...or other Sources ?

Thank you.:)

Reactions: jeannotte

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Is v208 the latest update? Far as I'm aware as long as the Wii U is aware of a more recent update, it'll try to connect online to update the game before you can run it, and if you're using some kind of dns to block updates then it's not able to connect to the servers and it can't download the update. It also won't let you play the game unless you update (only if you had the newer update installed in the past at some point? If the newer update had never been installed then I can't remember if it gives you the option to leave the update and launch the game anyway,)

You can edit a file on nand so it forgets the newer version exists and lets you run the game: https://gbatemp.net/threads/downgrade-updates-on-wii-u-games.466343/

Reactions: Alexander1970

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is v208 the latest update? Far as I'm aware as long as the Wii U is aware of a more recent update, it'll try to connect online to update the game before you can run it, and if you're using some kind of dns to block updates then it's not able to connect to the servers and it can't download the update. It also won't let you play the game unless you update (only if you had the newer update installed in the past at some point? If the newer update had never been installed then I can't remember if it gives you the option to leave the update and launch the game anyway,)

You can edit a file on nand so it forgets the newer version exists and lets you run the game: https://gbatemp.net/threads/downgrade-updates-on-wii-u-games.466343/
yeah, it's the versions.bin file. I think you can change the version to FF FF, and it will never force you to update again. it's translated from hex to decimal, so decimal is the version you're actually installing, but hex is how it looks in hex within the versions.bin.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It sounds like v208 is supposed to be the latest, so I have no idea why it would insist on trying to connect online when trying to launch the game... I'd at least check in versions.bin to make sure everything is in order there, in case some modification was done in the past and it's expecting a newer update that doesn't even exist.

Unless the installation of the update had failed in some way, I suppose.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually, I think that might be how tiramisu spoofs the firmware in some way, because according to nintendont, I'm using firmware 255.255.255. I've tried both official and my build, and they both say that. I'm sure it's probably spoofing the versions to FF FF to prevent any actual system builds from getting through. the os itself and system apps are also in the versions.bin, so be very careful.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, if it shows a higher version, convert v208 to hex with a decimal to hex converter (google this). then just simply overwrite the version in the versions.bin. I've done this before, and it's not really that difficult. I did it to downgrade something.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found it in the versions.bin:

1648411150499.png

if you use a converter, 00 D0 equals 208 in decimal.

meclo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wow, thanks all for the brilliant replies! It's great to see how active and helpful this community is.

To answer the first couple questions, I used "Wii U USB Helper" to download the game, with the help of one of the tickets websites; the latest update available from ther was v208. I had the game downloaded and installed long ago but never ran it, so I downloaded it again with the same program (but likely a different ticket website, can't remember which one I initially used to download games), but got the same error. I do not have DNS blocked, I have DHCP set on the wifi connection so it grabs DNS server IP's via DHCP as well.

Interestingly enough, I also found a used copy of the game at a pawn shop for $20 so I picked it up just today. It actually said "installing updates" when I fired it up, and afterward there was a 2GB "update" file on the NAND storage...however after it finished, it came up with the same error, complaining that it couldn't contact the server. Bizarre.

I'll try a Hex converter to modify the versions.bin file. I'll be sure to update this thread with my results, once I get a chance to modify the file.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good morning.:)

Wow, thanks all for the brilliant replies! It's great to see how active and helpful this community is.

To answer the first couple questions, I used "Wii U USB Helper" to download the game, with the help of one of the tickets websites; the latest update available from ther was v208. I had the game downloaded and installed long ago but never ran it, so I downloaded it again with the same program (but likely a different ticket website, can't remember which one I initially used to download games), but got the same error. I do not have DNS blocked, I have DHCP set on the wifi connection so it grabs DNS server IP's via DHCP as well.

Interestingly enough, I also found a used copy of the game at a pawn shop for $20 so I picked it up just today. It actually said "installing updates" when I fired it up, and afterward there was a 2GB "update" file on the NAND storage...however after it finished, it came up with the same error, complaining that it couldn't contact the server. Bizarre.

I'll try a Hex converter to modify the versions.bin file. I'll be sure to update this thread with my results, once I get a chance to modify the file.
So you then maybe have more than "One Ticket" for the same Game... ?
That would explain your Issue....

I would send you to one of our leading Ticket Experts please....

@godreborn 😉

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

after thinking about it, I don't think the versions.bin is the problem. I forgot the exact message, but it's not a "can't connect to server" if the version is lower than what the versions.bin says is installed.

as far as a ticket issue, I doubt it's this as well. you should be able to update a retail game without a problem. plus, the error from a fake ticket being above a retail one only occurs when it's going to install the content, not when it downloads it, so a dns error is unlikely. if you're blocking the eshop with a dns, you may have to use nnu patcher or remove the dns. if so, it's much easier just to delete the update folder instead.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Does downloading and installing the latest update with NUSspli work? Just make sure the update is the same region as the game and you install it to the same storage (game on NAND, update to NAND, too. Game on USB, update to USB, too).

//EDIT: Also:
I have Haxchi and CFW
Haxchi is a CFW so what other CFW are you using? Don't run two CFWs simultaneously.
Why not migrating to Tiramisu?

I do not have DNS blocked
How else are you blocking system updates (which you should do on Haxchi) ?

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This does not solve the connection problem, but this reads to me like the v208 update was not installed to begin with. Then it tries to update on launch because v208 had been installed in the past, the console is already aware of a newer version. and that then fails.

Tickets shouldn't be a problem because 1: update tickets are legit, even if downloaded from NUS downloaders, and 2: you were able to succesfully install an update from the disc which shouldnt have been possible if an illegit ticket was in place (?)

Last edited by Takokeshi,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This is normal for BotW. There was an update bundled on the disc that is installed into NAND and the game won't run without this update (or a newer update), it was done in order to improve load times as load times from disc are very slow.
You can't run BotW with just the base game, you need at least some update installed or there will be missing data.

• Love

meclo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The issue began the first time I ran the game, which was using the same tickets as all the other games I've downloaded and installed, and ran with no issue. I had originally installed the v208 update as well. It was only after I ran into this issue that I re-downloaded BotW and the update with a different ticket. I didn't have any DNS blocks set, and I'm on 5.5.5 so I'm fully updated (I didn't have wifi connected until I saw that 5.5.5 was safe to apply to a CFW). And I only have the Haxchi CFW, I guess I'm not using those terms quite right :D

And I've never heard of tiramisu, that must be relatively recent? I CFW'd my WiiU a few years back and I don't recall seeing that at the time, only the mocha CFW and haxchi.

I've tried v208 and the vanilla version, maybe I'll try a lower update and see if that works, or properly updates.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The issue began the first time I ran the game, which was using the same tickets as all the other games I've downloaded and installed, and ran with no issue. I had originally installed the v208 update as well. It was only after I ran into this issue that I re-downloaded BotW and the update with a different ticket. I didn't have any DNS blocks set, and I'm on 5.5.5 so I'm fully updated (I didn't have wifi connected until I saw that 5.5.5 was safe to apply to a CFW). And I only have the Haxchi CFW, I guess I'm not using those terms quite right :D

And I've never heard of tiramisu, that must be relatively recent? I CFW'd my WiiU a few years back and I don't recall seeing that at the time, only the mocha CFW and haxchi.

I've tried v208 and the vanilla version, maybe I'll try a lower update and see if that works, or properly updates.
If you want to try a lower version, you'll have to modify the versions.bin like above.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You said that after running the CD, you had a 2 GB update installed. If you did *not* see an update showing up in data management before, this means that the v208 update was never actually installed in the first place, in which case, it's no wonder that it would attempt to update and not let you run the game without updating.

If you aren't able to get the v208 update to install at all, that should probably be looked into first. Otherwise you can most likely edit versions.bin to get it to run with just the disc update, won't be able to have dlc on the older update though.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with a lower update is that it will still request you update every time the game is booted. Change the version to FF FF, which is version 65535. It shouldn't ask you to update again.

Reactions: Takokeshi

meclo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, that's the weird thing, I totally saw an update file in data management. But I saw that when I copied v208 on there myself as well. Bizarre. I'll try downloading and copying over an older version and see if it updates properly, and if that doesn't work I'll try the hex editor and set it to FF FF as godreborn suggests. I'll update with my progress.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Even my mum slept on that uremum