Homebrew WiiSX RX - A new fork.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Would it be much feasable to make Wii ports of the few 2D titles from the DS that DONT rely on the touch gimmick to be played and beaten, but still being able to swap screens with one button, particularly the DSvanias and a few others.

That would be feasible, the advancement in DS emulation has gone a long way since the desmume-wii days so it's really up to somebody to take a crack at it again on the Wii, though I don't see it happening any time soon.

To the topic thread, WiiSX RX 4.0 inherits the same lightrec bugs as WiiSX 3.0, so gameplay speed in Street Fighter EX+ Alpha, Rival Schools and Ghoul Panic is adversely affected.

How difficult would it be to add in playstation mouse support, do you figure? I know guncon support might be quite a pain and a pipe dream considering how lightgun peripherals around this time worked but, the majority of playstation lightgun games also supported the mouse as an alternative input method, if not all of them and the wii remote basically works exactly like a mouse rather than a true lightgun - it would be incredible to finally be able to play games like Time Crisis or Galaxian3 with a working lightgun

Last edited by Disorarara,
Reactions: Tetsuo Shima

Tsuyoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried out 4.0. I haven't tried a ton of games yet, but every game I did try worked perfectly. I never thought Playstation emulation would work so well on the Wii. Just fantastic work.

Reactions: niuus

RadiantAnsel

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just passing by to say thank you for doing these, I got several other ways to play PS1, but this might be the easiest to play on a CRT, outside of the original system of course, I haven't tried it out because adult life is pretty busy, so I respect you for taking your free time in doing these emu updates.

BTW, this is just a curiosity, but why some games (particularly Soukyugurentai) work in older builds, but in newer ones the list says they don't? I'm not exactly a dev expert, but I find it funny something broke.

Either way, yar yar, I will share some other obscure stuff compatibility later on as well.

Cheers

Reactions: niuus

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just passing by to say thank you for doing these, I got several other ways to play PS1, but this might be the easiest to play on a CRT, outside of the original system of course, I haven't tried it out because adult life is pretty busy, so I respect you for taking your free time in doing these emu updates.

BTW, this is just a curiosity, but why some games (particularly Soukyugurentai) work in older builds, but in newer ones the list says they don't? I'm not exactly a dev expert, but I find it funny something broke.

Either way, yar yar, I will share some other obscure stuff compatibility later on as well.

Cheers
lol its not something funny... dynarec code changed which is the recompile instructions changed, that is what makes the entire emulator have speed, so changing dynarec can cause lots of diferent effects since your not using the same calculation method to emulate the cpu/gpu anymore and are doing a more advanced methond, which might skip some calculations that shouldnt.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New release is up! (2.6)

[2.6 - July 03, 2022]
* V-Sync is now activated. (thanks xjsxjs197!)
* Adjust some button shortcuts for entering the Menu.
Specially useful for people who use alternative classic controllers or
adapters that connect to the Wiimote, such as the DualShock 2, arcade
joysticks, NES and SNES Classic controllers, etc., some of which don't have
a Home button to return to the emulator's main menu.
* UStealth support.
* Wii 480p video fix. [Extrems]
* More 3rd party controllers support.

Your mileage may vary, but these 3rd party controller adapters also work now:
zbiArU0.jpg

Tested 100% with some rounds in Mortal Kombat
I've been tempted to grab one of those, Does it work with original PS1 Controllers (no analog) types as well as PS2 Controllers?
I've read that some of those Wii adapters don't support PS1 Controllers?
I have a few PS2 Controller adapters for other systems and they usually support PS1 Pads as well, it's not necessarily a deal breaker if it doesn't it would just be good to know before picking one up for myself :)

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I've been tempted to grab one of those, Does it work with original PS1 Controllers (no analog) types as well as PS2 Controllers?
I have a few PS2 Controller adapters for other systems and they usually support PS1 Pads as well, it's not necessarily a deal breaker if it doesn't it would just be good to know before picking one up for myself :)
If you remind me in 12 hours, i'll gladly test with a PSX DualShock. I just never did it before as my PS2 controller is always on hand already (and they are supposed to be compatible like in the original console), the PSX one is stored.

Mostly CPU / GPU / CD-ROM timings, they get tweaked and improved, but some games are very sensitive about those changes. That's the way they were programmed, as they weren't made to be played with anything other than perfect original hardware, and not the competitor's console 3 generations later... take that, Sony! :teach:

Since a normal healthy-sane human wouldn't be able to retest 1000+ games every time you make changes to the code to improve, you might lose some games or introduce some bugs in the process. It's normal for emulation in all platforms to be like this.

Last edited by niuus,

RadiantAnsel

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mostly CPU / GPU / CD-ROM timings, they get tweaked and improved, but some games are very sensitive about those changes. That's the way they were programmed, as they weren't made to be played with anything other than perfect original hardware, and not the competitor's console 3 generations later... take that, Sony! :teach:

Since a normal healthy-sane human wouldn't be able to retest 1000+ games every time you make changes to the code to improve, you might lose some games or introduce some bugs in the process. It's normal for emulation in all platforms to be like this.

It's absolutely nothing you should even bother to test 1000+ every time you do these, especially when not even 1/4 of those are even good, or just a bunch of weird nerds like me are even going to bother with, haha

But yeah, it makes sense and wasn't thinking like that in that moment, I mean, even the original hardware can get funky with the revisions and reject some games time to time (The PS2 is a particular case in my brain, because the slim models in particular get funkier with this aspect).

Either way, I got the free weekend, so I might try some other arcade-style titles to see how they play, not that it matters honestly, but still.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
But yeah, it makes sense and wasn't thinking like that in that moment, I mean, even the original hardware can get funky with the revisions and reject some games time to time (The PS2 is a particular case in my brain, because the slim models in particular get funkier with this aspect).
Absolutely correct. I even thought at the time it was kind of surprising that a console revision can break compatibility, or introduce bugs.

Okey, about the PSX DualShock controller and the adapter: I can confirm you it plays as intended. Fully tested, fully working. Same experience and response as my PS2 Dualshock 2 controller.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Absolutely correct. I even thought at the time it was kind of surprising that a console revision can break compatibility, or introduce bugs.

Okey, about the PSX DualShock controller and the adapter: I can confirm you it plays as intended. Fully tested, fully working. Same experience and response as my PS2 Dualshock 2 controller.
Great stuff thank you for checking :)

veraci_00

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@niuus , add me as a friend. I'm assuming you have your pm's locked to friends only. this is godreborn. I asked to be banned with that account, because I don't want to be involved anymore, but I would still like to keep in touch with you, hopefully on discord. that's where I am now. I can't share my stuff anymore but through third parties, which I tried to do with @KiiWii , just don't know if he received it. I built smw for windows as well as super mario bros 1 from all stars through a .bat file. the other all star games are being worked on for windows and the switch, I believe, but I heard there's a lot of unused material for smb3, so it's slow going with that one, if it can even be done. dunno why Nintendo just left a bunch of unused stuff in the game itself, with it not being accessible.

Reactions: KiiWii

seam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you remind me in 12 hours, i'll gladly test with a PSX DualShock. I just never did it before as my PS2 controller is always on hand already (and they are supposed to be compatible like in the original console), the PSX one is stored.

Is the latest wiisx-rx the definitive psx emulator to use on the wii these days? i see theres like 3 or 4 emulators now and I have no idea which to use lol. Thanks for any help!

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Is the latest wiisx-rx the definitive psx emulator to use on the wii these days? i see theres like 3 or 4 emulators now and I have no idea which to use lol. Thanks for any help!

Quote from Disorarara from another thread:

WiiSXRX 3.3 has the highest compatibility of the old dynarec but it comes at a speed cost, WiiSX 3.0 right now is the fastest and most compatible emulator, Wiistation is more or less the same as WiiSX 3.0 since it's based off the same codebase with as of now minor tweaks but adds auxiliary features you might be interested in like 240p and other language support. All of the aforementioned emulators have CDDA support. I'd say stick with WiiSX 3.0 and try the other emulators if you can't get a game running or there's some extra features you wanna try

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
ah ok, would you agree this is pretty accurate?
Personally, i only tested the first version of the WiiSX revival with the very early version of lightrect, and while it did behave the same was Wiistation at the time, personally i like to stick with the latter, because this was the first fork that got resurrected since last year in the form of (WiiSXRX2022) with promise of improvement that most of us did not thought it was possible, specially with the flabby pessimism there used to be around with ''the Wii just doesn't have enough RAM or horse power to do it'', whereas my suspicion always land more on ''The emulators just suck and are underdeveloped to their potential'', if the wii could eventually get great GBA emulation to the point of close to accuracy with MGBA which was a colossal leap over the abandoned poorly done mess that was VBAGX, yet somehow it struggles with the chip based SNES titles outside of their Virtual Console counterparts? let alone Ps1 and N64, or even Arcade games? that just doesn't make sense to me.

And now here we are, nearly a year since its revival, WiiSXRX2022 is now Wiistation, and at the very least, the fact that i can run Castlevania Symphony of the Night at full speed 98% of the time except for the polygonal room in the chapel if i have Dither ON and only slowdown during the screen melting transition effect which is passable, gives me hope that things are just gonna be better, all it took is people to stop procrastinating and being pessimistic and just, trying. :)

Reactions: seam1

seam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, i only tested the first version of the WiiSX revival with the very early version of lightrect, and while it did behave the same was Wiistation at the time, personally i like to stick with the latter, because this was the first fork that got resurrected since last year in the form of (WiiSXRX2022) with promise of improvement that most of us did not thought it was possible, specially with the flabby pessimism there used to be around with ''the Wii just doesn't have enough RAM or horse power to do it'', whereas my suspicion always land more on ''The emulators just suck and are underdeveloped to their potential'', if the wii could eventually get great GBA emulation to the point of close to accuracy with MGBA which was a colossal leap over the abandoned poorly done mess that was VBAGX, yet somehow it struggles with the chip based SNES titles outside of their Virtual Console counterparts? let alone Ps1 and N64, or even Arcade games? that just doesn't make sense to me.

And now here we are, nearly a year since its revival, WiiSXRX2022 is now Wiistation, and at the very least, the fact that i can run Castlevania Symphony of the Night at full speed 98% of the time except for the polygonal room in the chapel if i have Dither ON and only slowdown during the screen melting transition effect which is passable, gives me hope that things are just gonna be better, all it took is people to stop procrastinating and being pessimistic and just, trying. :)
Cool man, thanks for that info!

MeXen

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Cool man, thanks for that info!
Thank you, I mean hell, now that i remember there used to be another fork of a fork called WiiSX Silver, that one has some minor improvements over old dynarec WiiSX and even theoretically could do 240p, from the dude how gives us RetroArch Hexaco, but even that one is more of an ancient artifact in comparison now.

I will say tough, the overflow of Forks and the original does turn people off from coming back and give i a try.

WiiSX Original
WiiSXR,
WiiSXRX (the old dynarec)
WiiSX Silver
WiiSXRX2022 (former) / Wiistation (current) (If would be me, ill consider Wiistation separate form its predecessor.),
WiiSX 2023 (Lightrec Revival)

, and i heard there is a WIISRX or WiiSX RX Beta....geez.

Keep your eye only on WiiSX and Wiistation from now on.

seam1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you, I mean hell, now that i remember there used to be another fork of a fork called WiiSX Silver, that one has some minor improvements over old dynarec WiiSX and even theoretically could do 240p, from the dude how gives us RetroArch Hexaco, but even that one is more of an ancient artifact in comparison now.

I will say tough, the overflow of Forks and the original does turn people off from coming back and give i a try.

WiiSX Original
WiiSXR,
WiiSX Silver
WiiSXRX2022 (former) / Wiistation (current) (If would be me, ill consider Wiistation separate form its predecessor.),

haha yes, hence my confusion, thanks again, i look forward to testing this out tomorrow

Kirby6417

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiSX Original
WiiSXR,
WiiSX Silver

Also:
WiiSXRX 4.0 (uses LightRec)

That's the latest version of RX, it came out in March. It's amazing.

As for the original WiiSX (not RX); that has been surpassed by RX for several years and so I never bothered with it. I couldn't find any use cases for it. If they updated it with LightRec, then maybe it has improved immensely so that it is useful again; but even then, I have yet to see a need for it, since again, WiiSXRX 4 has lightrec as well.

My current loadout:
WiiSXRX 4.0
WiiStation
WiiSXRX 3.3 (for just a few games, can't think of which ones right now)

you get incredible compatibility between the first two I listed there. You can even get very far with just one of them.

There could be a few cases where a different emulator is needed (like an older version of RX or something) but really I haven't found that yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: horny jail is full la