NeoCD RX - A new fork.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just to clarify : using the wiimote, and then switch to the gamecube controller ingame, made the B button of the GC controller not respond for me.

But if I use the GC controller from the beginning, I'm having no issue.

Once again, thanks!
Weird use case scenario changing controllers in real time. So I went and replicated your case, the buttons in the Gamecube controller doesn't respond because you're trying to use the two controllers at the same time. Just turn off the Wiimote with the power button in the controller (the console won't power off). You can pause the game, or go to the menu, whatever is more convenient to you in the moment.

Both recommended bios share the same description 'Neo Geo CDZ BIOS', idk if that's a typo.
More interestingly, are there any differences in compatibility or performance?
It only uses the BIOS from the japanese NG CDZ, not from the NG CD front loader or top loader. So no, not a typo.

More performance? :lol: . Well, the emulated console is fortunately very old and already at the limit, hence why it runs without any speed problems even on the Gamecube. You can't make it faster than it already is. Even the slowdowns in Metal Slug 2 are straight from the real game, on the real console.

-----------------------------------

So, about the forwarders, i've found one with arcade sounds in the background (like an arcade room) which I already modified and suits perfect, but I did one with the Neo Geo CD boot sound, too. Which one should be posted? One or both?

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: SaulFabre and ber71

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
about the forwarders, i've found one with arcade sounds in the background (like an arcade room) which I already modified and suits perfect, but I did one with the Neo Geo CD boot sound, too. Which one should be posted? One or both?
I vote for the Neo Geo CD sound. It's just too iconic, and the console was a home machine, contrary to the MVS.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I vote for the Neo Geo CD sound. It's just too iconic, and the console was a home machine, contrary to the MVS.
Yeah, I also thought about that, though the games were all ports from the arcade and was made to simulate the "experience" of having the evolution of the "Neo Geo arcade power" in your home, hehehe. What a time.

Anyway, yes, the sound is totally iconic, so it will be there! Not many people know but there were two BIOS boot sequences, I guess I could make one of each, just for completeness sake. Either way the CDZ boot sound is the one used when you play with NeoCDRX.

Reactions: Brand Newman

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice work Niuus and thanks! And the Manual gives a professional feel.....The curse of the Groundhog day has stopped!
I just tried it and have a few stupid questions:
I have a "no IPL" message when I try to launch 2 games on a wiiU, does it work on it?
Is it possible to add Neogeo support for "standards" Neogeo games?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
There's already FBA NeoGeo (Normal+VM) for play almost all NeoGeo MVS/AES games on Wii so why would you want normal NeoGeo romset support on NeoCD RX? :/

I have a "no IPL" message when I try to launch 2 games on a wiiU, does it work on it?
Did you check if your NeoGeo CD games are ripped with all the required files, and if the IPL.TXT file isn't corrupted?

Reactions: niuus

Arnold101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NeoCD RX is live now.

[1.0.02 - April 03, 2023]
* First release.
* Fully working SDHC & USB support. You shouldn't see the emulator complaining again about the BIOS not being found, if you already have the proper file in the correct folder, specially on USB devices.
* Virtual Neo Geo Memory Card saving is fixed again. Use SD/USB or the GameCube Memory Card, the latter also works on Wii (backwards compatible unit).
* Fixed GameCube controller analog stick support. It wasn't working on Wii, only when used on a GameCube console.
* Rearranged internal menus for future expansion.
* Some tidying up.

https://github.com/niuus/NeoCDRX
on gamecube can i load roms from sd2sp2 slot? and from memory card slot?

Reactions: SaulFabre

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Saultfabre: There's already FBA NeoGeo (Normal+VM) for play almost all NeoGeo MVS/AES games on Wii so why would you want normal NeoGeo romset support on NeoCD RX? :/
To be able to launch all Neogeo games from ONE emu that does it all with the best sound and that can have a cool Neogeo Front channel logo (and not retroarch) with determined folder for games (easier to use for kids...Do you have kids?), that can use Gamecube controller...Maybe? ^^

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
To be able to launch all Neogeo games from ONE emu that does it all with the best sound and that can have a cool Neogeo Front channel logo (and not retroarch) with determined folder for games (easier to use for kids...Do you have kids?), that can use Gamecube controller...Maybe? ^^
I don't wanna seem like I'm telling Niuus what to do, but even if it was something they considered, I believe the priority will be to improve NGCD emulation above anything else.

We already know there's plans to support the classic controller (as stated in the manual), and then we have the emulation of console exclusives like Samurai Shodown RPG (if you don't count the 32 bits versions, which I understand are all unique in some way), the "field rendering" effect on the floor of most fighting games (SS III one is still stupendous to me nowadays :)...

I also noticed some scramble graphics on the left of the screen, and minor freezes (less than 1 second, really) which, while not much of an annoyance, are probably upper on the list than expanding the software to MVS emulation.

Anyway, this gives me the occasion to say I was able to complete World Heroes and reach the final stage of Samurai Shodown IV without any issue : this version is already totally useable and worth the wait.

Last edited by Brand Newman,

rexus_pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So I have tested it too and it's another awesome emulator.

Few things:
- I can confirm some scramble graphic on the left on the screen and some freezes;
- some options needed as air - eg. button mappings (as I've never played on original Neo Geo, for me the most important button - A - should be mapped to 2 - like on NES and SNES emulators, and like Wii games usually work) and pillarbox mode (something like "force 16:9" on WiiSXRX - I know that switching TV to 4:3 mode gives better quality, but I'm lazy and probably I'm not the only one)
- any chances to support IR pointer in menu, like whole Wii system (this is why I don't like RetroArch - no way to navigate using IR)?

mastershoes

GameTDB Mod & Retro Cover Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Had a chance to test a few games, very nice release! Everything I tested worked great, and menu navigation got a huge upgrade. Pro on the manual also. Overall very impressed, thank you. Only question I have is.. an argument for autobooting roms for ini in wiiflow?

Reactions: fmhugo and niuus

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
So I have tested it too and it's another awesome emulator.

Few things:
- I can confirm some scramble graphic on the left on the screen
I also noticed some scramble graphics on the left of the screen
Reviving some old post / tech discussion about the subject in the past, horizontal resolution is quite tricky with this emulator and console. Neo Geo games can be 320x224 or 304x224 (source), Jacobeian mentions that then there is no indication how the game can switch between the 2 modes, and the emulator does not emulate that yet. But also, according to the Neo Geo Programmers Guide, 320x224 is the display area, adding a PAL mode where the size of display is 320x256, which he speculated is to reduce the size of vertical borders, as PAL TV signal has more lines than NTSC. It seems that games are supposed to put black tiles themselves, it's apparently not done by hardware automatically like with other consoles.

vigi_lante also mentioned that Neo Geo games were meant to be used with an arcade monitor, which you can easily adjust the vertical and horizontal size of the screen (unlike a regular TV). So, for the few games that use 320 pixels, the arcade operator can resize the screen in order to display all the pixels.

Baseball Stars in MAME:
DTvN4.png

Metal Slug displays garbage pixels in that area (see botton right):
xX0ZC.png

Even the creator of NeoCD-Wii (Wiimpathy) got fed up with this video situation, so he, understandably, left it as-is. So in the end, I had to make a decision about the video, with a compromise between some small scrambled graphics that could be cropped by the overscan, or not showing them (cropping) and lose pixels on the left side permanently.

You would never notice in games like Metal Slug, but the minute you start playing Xeno Crisis and see the intro, you'll immediately notice the dialogues being cut at the left side (score is affected too, as it is glued to the left border, the CRT overscan area).

6. When designing for NEO-GEO, important characters should not be placed within
the left most and right most 16-dot areas, nor' in the top and bottom 8-dot areas.
These areas may not be visible on some television monitors.
7. For Multi-Video Systems, 8 dots on both the left and right sides should be
masked by black characters, using the FIX display mode.
Ultimately, I decided I didn't want to offer 2 builds because some users are gonna be users™ and start asking what's the difference even if it's written everywhere, and make misleading posts, so i'd rather wait and go back to a fix in the future (even hope for collaborations, which is the point of all open source emulators), maybe also reference other emulators like MAME, FBNeo, and the libretro NeoCD core, but I haven't done that yet and won't be soon.

(as I've never played on original Neo Geo, for me the most important button - A - should be mapped to 2 - like on NES and SNES emulators, and like Wii games usually work)
Hmm, no. Open the manual, go to the button mappings section. Watch the original controller picture, and you will see the reason why I arranged it like it is. I even changed the Gamecube layout to comfortably accommodate this in a way that made sense for the foreign non-Neo Geo CD controller (specially if you ever use an adapter like the PS2 to GC, SNES to GC, etc.), and also be perfectly respectable for logical gameplay without adjustments in-game. You can already remap buttons inside most titles.

By reversing the buttons with Neo Geo A on Wiimote 2, you create doom for a our 'ingrained game logic', because you don't typically shoot with the right button (NES A), and jump with the left button (NES B), like the Mega Man Anniversary Collection infamously does and was hated with a passion by most. The natural way we were accustomed to is to use the action/run button on the left, jump on the right (Super Mario Bros, Ninja Gaiden, Duck Tales, etc.). The Super Nintendo immortalized it rotating it to SNES Y and SNES B, for the new diamond shaped buttons layout. Even the Wii does it with a Wiimote (Mega Man 9, Mega Man 10, etc.)

To summarize, i'm not against button remappings and super keen on customization, but it wasn't as essential for me as getting the controllers feel just right for the first release.
I know that switching TV to 4:3 mode gives better quality, but I'm lazy and probably I'm not the only one)
I do this all the time with a button push of the TV remote.

- any chances to support IR pointer in menu, like whole Wii system (this is why I don't like RetroArch - no way to navigate using IR)?
Not interested myself as i'm not a big fan of the IR pointing (never even use it for any emulator on the Wii, I navigate really quick with the controller), but I guess someone else could.

how to solve “ipl.txt” error?
By having a valid IPL.TXT inside the game folder. Consult the manual, section "Prearing the games".

sd2sp2 on gc please

Only question I have is.. an argument for autobooting roms for ini in wiiflow?
Planned features for Someday™. BTW, just found out an old forwarder I think you did, I'd like to edit it and add it as a second forwarder option for NeoCDRX.

Big fat heavy no on adding RAM memory-hungry games and integrate it to yet another emulator. That makes absolutely no sense for me. That would be like adding NES and Game Boy support to Snes9xRX. Sounds lazily "convenient" but not really needed. A computer is better for that if needed, where infinite amounts of RAM and storage are available.

Last edited by niuus,

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Thank you for this very instructive explanation about NeoGeo resolution : if we can put up with Super Mario Bros 3 having scrambled graphics on its borders (which was always the case, even with original hardware, I checked), we can live with our NeoGeo CD games having it too! And it's better than having some text cropped, for sure!

Speaking of resolution and such, and while the aspect ratio can easily be manually changed, I was wondering about your opinion on 240P resolution? For people who have a device that can convert the signal into 720P and such (like OSSC), having the original resolution displayed is a blast : it's the best quality, and displays in 4:3 automatically. But I'm happy enough the games already look so good, without any unnecessary blur filter or whatever!

Reactions: niuus

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Beautiful emulator. Fixes all the headaches! Thank you for passion & expertise.

The PDF is very well done, but fails to explain how to do a few very important things. Not sure if intentionally not included.

I have read the entire thread twice and seen no mention of CDmage, which is crucial when extracting audio from a bin.

I'm looking at my Neo CD files and they are from 2016. I remember converting these files but damn if i remember what program i used or the sequence.

What i am saying, a little more help/knowledge would be very useful when it comes to converting the Neo CD games to playing status on the Wii..

I have the whole set in working order, but i am just one who has a little knowledge.

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd rather wait for the bin + cue and eventually chd support instead of all the work with converting my files.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Beautiful emulator. Fixes all the headaches! Thank you for passion & expertise.

The PDF is very well done, but fails to explain how to do a few very important things. Not sure if intentionally not included.

I have read the entire thread twice and seen no mention of CDmage, which is crucial when extracting audio from a bin.

I'm looking at my Neo CD files and they are from 2016. I remember converting these files but damn if i remember what program i used or the sequence.

What i am saying, a little more help/knowledge would be very useful when it comes to converting the Neo CD games to playing status on the Wii..

I have the whole set in working order, but i am just one who has a little knowledge.
TBH, it was very intentional, as copying and pasting files from a folder (physical CD or virtual) is very universal and basic, and I was not looking to write about specific software inside the manual, because that would open the door for me having to make a guide for all platforms (plus Android, someone will ask) and keep it updated through the ages, or being told that whatever software is better, why not this and that, etc. I'd rather not have the hassle.

So! I can give you some recommendations here, no prob. Getting files from a CD is simple. If you want my recommendation, why even use CDMage or burning software. There is the free WinRAR, which opens your ISO and lets you extract the files as you would with a .zip, quick and painless. If the user already has a hacked Wii and uses homebrew, copying those files will be a piece of cake! The short sequence of steps is there on the guide. When I wrote the guide and thought if it was worth mentioning specific programs for the task, I just looked for "free mp3 cd ripper" and confirmed that there is way too many free software currently. If you really want me to mention one, let's give you two, but Windows only, haven't used Mac in quite a while: back in those years of Windows 2K / XP, I used a program called AudioGrabber, don't even know if that still exists today for modern Win10 or 11.

My second option for you, would be a classic: Winamp! Super easy to just load the CD, and then instruct it to rip to mp3 at 128kbps (minimum, mandatory) or better.

I'd rather wait for the bin + cue and eventually chd support instead of all the work with converting my files.
If you don't want to copy some folders and files to play for free because it is too much work, nothing will make you :D. If you choose to wait, just know i'm not planning on doing anything related to CUE+BIN or CHD for this emu at any point in 2023/2024, that's on the bottom of priorities, as i'd rather have the cpu engines upgraded and video related stuff.

Thank you for this very instructive explanation about NeoGeo resolution : if we can put up with Super Mario Bros 3 having scrambled graphics on its borders (which was always the case, even with original hardware, I checked), we can live with our NeoGeo CD games having it too! And it's better than having some text cropped, for sure!

Speaking of resolution and such, and while the aspect ratio can easily be manually changed, I was wondering about your opinion on 240P resolution? For people who have a device that can convert the signal into 720P and such (like OSSC), having the original resolution displayed is a blast : it's the best quality, and displays in 4:3 automatically. But I'm happy enough the games already look so good, without any unnecessary blur filter or whatever!
Funny thing is that 240p was going to be on the first release, but as the "curse of the Neo Geo CD emulators" dictates, some features make the emulator stop loading the games (believe me, I tried), Wiimpathy suggested in the past rewriting the whole video section. I identified the lines that make the emulator stop at banner loading. I may do a branch later in case someone manifests wanting to take a look and fix it for good. I don't have any hardware line doublers but I am enthusiast about those and the chance of using them with the Wii.

Last edited by niuus,

rexus_pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It takes some time, but saves a lot of disk space, without hearable diffrence if you use 320kbps. Not bad option.

Open the manual, go to the button mappings section. Watch the original controller picture, and you will see the reason why I arranged it like it is
I've seen the manual (BTW great and many questions should never appear - heh, as you can see above) and I fully understand this layout. I could even agree that this is best possible layout - but if it could be possible, I would change it on my Wii. Guys who ever had original Neo Geo CD will probably never do that.

I do this all the time with a button push of the TV remote.
Well... I have to go to TV menu and find proper option. Enough to say: great "Force 16:9" option!

Charco

Trophies
XP
Country
No problem! I emulate everything on my Steam Deck these days so the Wii doesn't get a whole lot of use. Focusing on the emulation is far more important than file support at the moment, so I understand that completely.

Reactions: gZa

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand, but the issue is finding ISO images, i don't think they exist any longer.

I looked for Bang Busters and Treasure of the Caribbean all over the net and came to realize, ISO images no longer exist. You will only find Bin/Cue in a 3-4 hour ISO hunt. Maybe they exist tucked away 8-10 pages deep but they are not readily available

Extracting and converting the audio files from Bin/Cue is a whole different beast. In fact CDmage is the only program i know of that can do the task.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch