Hacking WiiFlow - an open source GUI USB-Loader

djbubba2002

Trophies
XP
Country
I never had a spin down, on any of my WD my books, NEW OR OLD , and i was playing mario for 3 hours with 249 today , no spindown, last week was playing the same game with 222 ver and No spindown on my harddrive , i think its your harddrive then..

mgrimmenator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give you one, forwarder iso's don't work on 249 but do on 222. So if you are like me and run forward iso to launch the system menu or any other homebrew that may not be a channel and you want to use these forwarders then you need 222.

As for the fat32 debate, I now agree with Miigotu on this 100%. I use the default fat32 coverter that oggzy created and coverted all my wbfs games. All worked first time shot with no issues. I had 276 games and it did not take that long to covert. I let it copy all games over to hard drive over night so I didn't have to wait. Easiest switch I ever made.

One more thing, since all games are packed into wbfs containers per say they will function exactly like they did on the wbfs partition. So there will be really no difference except you will be able to manage easier and can have just one partition.

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
TeenTin said:
1 more fact :

249 has harddisk spin down bug while 222 does not.
Never had any issues with spindown on 249. Actually its quite the opposite, i have had that issue with 222, so yes, it also can have a spindown issue
Its a hardware issue, not a cIOS issue.

QUOTE(pepxl @ Jul 5 2010, 10:45 PM) most are all on retail disk bar afew that i borrowed from friends and family(could be be classed as piracy lol), i never said anything about complaints i was stating that WBFS isnt obsolete as you mentioned as all loader still support it
Just because loaders still support something doesnt mean its not obsolete. Its still supported because some ppl refuse to accept that legacy file systems are better, and also why would we take the time to remove support for it?

true that having everything on a single partition is more organized, WBFS may have a game limit but if your reach this then your obviously pirating. You cant really modify games on a FAT32 then you can WBFS because in some way there would be a conversion process to get them in a editable state(renaming/moving isnt really modifying per say). NTFS is a no go for me so i'll not go there lol
I agree with your on ntfs, anyway fat32 also has the advantage that all forwarders and the hbc support it. Using wbfs in the past was simply because there was no other option at the time, and even when SOME loaders/apps supported fat32, most did not. This is not the case anymore. There is nothing that requires the use of wbfs anymore. How about the issue when the wbfs table gets screwed up by deleting games, etc? There are just too many issues, that by design of the filesystem, cannot be fixed. Fat32 just works better, smoother, and is tons more convenient.

i dont see what cIOS your using has to do with WBFS vs FAT32 as a storage location but i use 249 for everything that can use it and 222/223 for problematic games
I was simply stating some facts that ppl who are stuck back in the day keep contesting.

Again nothing said about .iso plus i wouldnt recommend .iso either for wii use anyway, .wbfs files still contain a WBFS header as if you were reading the games from a WBFS partition
See last statement.

i was simply saying WBFS isnt obsolete in anyway(yet) as you put but the most common used file system for USB loading as most user have been using it, just because FAT32 is available now doesnt mean every new user is going to use it over WBFS or even NTFS if then decide they want to.
This statement is incorrect, most users are not using wbfs anymore, because of the aforementioned benefits of using a legacy file system. Old school ppl who arent into coding, yes, but most ppl no. The whole point of my post was to stop ppl from misinforming newcomers that they should use wbfs when making a new drive. Thats like telling someone to put wooden wagon wheels on their car.

you came into the scene as FAT32 was available so obviously that would of been your preferred file system to use
I was into the scene way before fat32 was available. To assume that just because i may have not used this name or forum back then is simply nieve. I'm good at what I do, if I must say so myself, because I work hard at it. And once again, my post is to inform new ppl to stop listenning to old scene ppl who refuse to give up their old methods when it comes to giving advise to ppl just starting out and have no knowledge about the detailed workings of these things.

The bottom line is, if you're an old school guy you usually know wth you're doing with wiiflow and how to set things up and whatnot. You wouldnt be spamming a question that has been answered 500 times already. And for you wbfs is fine if you choose it. But giving advice to new users to use that file system is not at all wise. Especially when we have to deal with things like ppl not telling them to put their fat32 partition first and wbfs last, or to put data_on_usb=no in their wiiflow.ini to run wiiflow from full SD.

This kind of misinformation to newcomers is why we continually have to answer these questions. If you were starting fresh and had nothing to lose, could you honestly tell me you would choose wbfs over fat32? I bet not, which by definition proves it obsolete, and if you would then I guess you shouldnt be giving anyone advice.
imho wbfs should only be continued to be used if ppl have no other option or means to switch over.

EDIT: hell I could have stayed using WMP 5.1 if i chose to, but it is still obsolete. In some SPECIFIC circumstances 222 may be better for a person or two who has a shitty drive, but not in the general body of users.

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
mgrimmenator said:
I'll give you one, forwarder iso's don't work on 249 but do on 222. So if you are like me and run forward iso to launch the system menu or any other homebrew that may not be a channel and you want to use these forwarders then you need 222.

As for the fat32 debate, I now agree with Miigotu on this 100%. I use the default fat32 coverter that oggzy created and coverted all my wbfs games. All worked first time shot with no issues. I had 276 games and it did not take that long to covert. I let it copy all games over to hard drive over night so I didn't have to wait. Easiest switch I ever made.

One more thing, since all games are packed into wbfs containers per say they will function exactly like they did on the wbfs partition. So there will be really no difference except you will be able to manage easier and can have just one partition. and not need SD card at all.

Usually you would have more games than forwarder isos. Simply set the ios to boot them from to 222. Also I think they work with cios249 r20 too.

Pakatus

Trophies
XP
Country
ganons said:
Pakatus said:
ganons said:
code dump when browsing games on 2.0
pal will 4.0e

Did you clean installed?
Deleted your previous ini file from disk?
Which theme you're using?

what do u mean clean install?
nope same ini file used
default theme

Try to delete your ini and let it create a new one.
It's been said that this 2.0 sets new defaults for everything...clean install is advised.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mugotu said:
mgrimmenator said:

One more thing, since all games are packed into wbfs containers per say they will function exactly like they did on the wbfs partition. So there will be really no difference except you will be able to manage easier and can have just one partition. and not need SD card at all.

Usually you would have more games than forwarder isos. Simply set the ios to boot them from to 222. Also I think they work with cios249 r20 too.
I heard that WBFS is the most stable...thats why i chose it, but its time to switch to fat32 i guess...I hope r20 comes out soon so i can see what the potential is of this cios...

ipawii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Benjay said:
ipawii said:
Been out of the loop for awhile, what is the procedure for upgrading to 2.0.
Currently running a v1.1 from my usb.

That's simple , start from scratch.
Delete everything related to wiiflow 1.1 (except your games of course^^, and your forwarder if you use one)
Download the 2.0 package on the googlecode page , and you're good.

Thanks Benjay,
What cIOS is everyone running to take advantage of FAT? Anything special for the instrument games such as GH5?

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
ipawii said:
Thanks Benjay,
What cIOS is everyone running to take advantage of FAT? Anything special for the instrument games such as GH5?
Searching would help sometimes...these questions have been asked over and over...

Either Wanins rev19 or Hermes cIOS (r4 or r5) will do the job. For the instrument games, you need to install one cIOS with Base 37, and set WiiFlow to use it (Game Settings).

ipawii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blue-K said:
ipawii said:
Thanks Benjay,
Searching would help sometimes...these questions have been asked over and over...

Either Wanins rev19 or Hermes cIOS (r4 or r5) will do the job. For the instrument games, you need to install one cIOS with Base 37, and set WiiFlow to use it (Game Settings).

Thanks! Tried Hermes v5 earlier with no love and didnt want to play around too much.

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
Pakatus said:
It's been said that this 2.0 sets new defaults for everything...clean install is advised.
just delete everything. Delete the folders:
sd:/wiiflow
sd:/apps/wiiflow
usb:/wiiflow
usb:/apps/wiiflow

Then put ONLY the dol in apps/wiiflow and boot it.
go in settings and DL new covers and gg.
Its even possible somehow you got the bad theme/default.ini that some ppl were passing out which has defines for each button. The default buttons are defined in the source and if they conflict it can cause issues. Also, old cached covers can cause dumps too.

Etheboss said:
mugotu said:
QUOTE(mgrimmenator @ Jul 6 2010, 12:22 AM) I'll give you one, forwarder iso's don't work on 249 but do on 222. So if you are like me and run forward iso to launch the system menu or any other homebrew that may not be a channel and you want to use these forwarders then you need 222.

I heard that WBFS is the most stable...thats why i chose it, but its time to switch to fat32 i guess...I hope r20 comes out soon so i can see what the potential is of this cios...
This situation is exactly why I posted the rant about ppl giving false advice. Etheboss, you first used wiiflow what 2 weeks ago? Now because someone misinformed you you have to waste more of your life to switch if you want the added usability of fat32.

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
ipawii said:
Benjay said:
ipawii said:
Been out of the loop for awhile, what is the procedure for upgrading to 2.0.
Currently running a v1.1 from my usb.

That's simple , start from scratch.
Delete everything related to wiiflow 1.1 (except your games of course^^, and your forwarder if you use one)
Download the 2.0 package on the googlecode page , and you're good.

Thanks Benjay,
I recommend:
Hermes v5
222 base 38
223 base 37
224 base 57

Waninkoko v19
249 base 38
250 base 37

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
mugotu said:
This situation is exactly why I posted the rant about ppl giving false advice. Etheboss, you first used wiiflow what 2 weeks ago? Now because someone misinformed you you have to waste more of your life to switch if you want the added usability of fat32.

i hope your not pointing fingers here, if so then i havent gave false advice or any advice of the sort just a fact that WBFS isnt obsolete but getting out dated. Your misinforming newer users saying they must use FAT32 because oh "WBFS is obsolete and no body uses it", when the fact is if the user wants to user a file system they prefer when why try and stop them, try before you buy i say, if they dont like it they can switch. if WBFS way so obsolete why is it every loader supported it first before FAT32, why not just go straight FAT32, whey the need to make a dedicated FS, if it wasnt for oggzee no one would have their games on a FAT32 partition and this step was only done a few months ago yet WBFS has been used since USB loading was accomplished

Its like saying no need for legs they are obsolete because you can sit on your arse and drive about, no need for walking these days

come on each system will entice different users, can we stop the agro about which is better for what purposes, simple fact is FAT32 is YOUR preferred FS meaning its YOUR opinion and opinions dont have to be taken like wise for me not that im a WBFS fanman or anything as i do have my top games on FAT32(15-20) not that its as many as whats on the WBFS partition

mugotu

Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
yawn, fat32 is better than wbfs. Anyone who is not an idiot knows this. Someone advised him that wbfs is best and he picked it, now he wants to switch since someone didnt give him all the details. If ppl are going to give advice on what file system to use, give them COMPLETE information. I got the shits of ppl complaining about wbfs problems and asking help to switch to fat32 once they learn its advantages.

In Etheboss' case, he would have never chosen wbfs from the beginning if he was informed of the ups and downs of both file systems.

This argument isnt even about filesystems anymore. First it was about that wbfs is not obsolete now its about proving you're right. Ppl who want to be hard-headed rather than accept the truth by all means keep using wbfs. But for those of us who want the best option available, we will use fat32.

In the case of software and computing, once something comes out that is BETTER than the thing before it, the previous thing is indeed obsolete.

For you to take the whole point i was making about wbfs as a personal attack is seriously juvenile. The original point i made is for EVERYONE to stop telling ppl wbfs is best, this is not wiiflow 1.1 anymore. And I made that point by stating facts about wiiflow 2.0+. As one of the major developers of this app I think I would know which is best. Between dev svn and wiiflow svn i have 82+ commits. I dont speak here as a purpose to serve 1 person, only to make sure proper information is given.

as for your metaphor, wbfs is more like crawling, fat32 is like we learned how to walk. Crawl as long as you like.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
mugotu said:
yawn, fat32 is better than wbfs. Anyone who is not an idiot knows this. Someone advised him that wbfs is best and he picked it, now he wants to switch since someone didnt give him all the details. If ppl are going to give advice on what file system to use, give them COMPLETE information. I got the shits of ppl complaining about wbfs problems and asking help to switch to fat32 once they learn its advantages.

In Etheboss' case, he would have never chosen wbfs from the beginning if he was informed of the ups and downs of both file systems.

This argument isnt even about filesystems anymore. First it was about that wbfs is not obsolete now its about proving you're right. Ppl who want to be hard-headed rather than accept the truth by all means keep using wbfs. But for those of us who want the best option available, we will use fat32.

In the case of software and computing, once something comes out that is BETTER than the thing before it, the previous thing is indeed obsolete.

For you to take the whole point i was making about wbfs as a personal attack is seriously juvenile. The original point i made is for EVERYONE to stop telling ppl wbfs is best, this is not wiiflow 1.1 anymore. And I made that point by stating facts about wiiflow 2.0+. As one of the major developers of this app I think I would know which is best. Between dev svn and wiiflow svn i have 82+ commits. I dont speak here as a purpose to serve 1 person, only to make sure proper information is given.

as for your metaphor, wbfs is more like crawling, fat32 is like we learned how to walk. Crawl as long as you like.
Not to get in between this discussion, but i second Miigotu in his remark about knowing all the facts, given that, i would have chosen for the most stable and easy filesystem (but i don't know exactly from which rev. FAT32 was supported) when i started using Wiiflow, or i have switched sooner, but the info i got was not unambiguous.

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Pakatus said:

what do u mean clean install? just delete the ini?

Fox888

Trophies
XP
Country
Dent said:

Congrats
grog.gif

Wonderful, this is becomming my NR. 1 usb loader and big thanks to the team

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users