Hacking WiiFlow Advanced

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...proper is not the size of a dvd case like wii games, proper is scans of actual snes/nes/gb/gbc/gba boxes the game came in, and sized exactly the size of the actual box. Each emu's box is a different size, and there are complete sets of these scans already available xD. In the code, the boxmesh is not actually intended to be resized, but I use a scaling hack to make gx draw it whatever size I want. Anyways, lets not get ahead of ourselves as I haven't even got to the point where we could use them xD. I actually have some really cool ideas about combining multiple systems into one flow without actually mixing the games in with eachother, but I need to rewrite a large chunk of coverflow for it to work.
It might be worth mentioning at this point that some systems used different box sizes in different regions. You might need a way to distinguish Japanese GBA boxes, for example.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
It's v.hard to compete with skater ;) but this is my vision:
852dbcfba8ca02cf1f7fc2350aa3feb8.png

d1e499ef18f59dbc7de0227fe4d1272f.png
44eed3845a772a050f2ab840e62f4e71.png

2439d3c49462e5ea02504299f93d1af7.png

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So freaking EPIC!! This would be the equivalent of a panty dropper for men, a draws dropper or something... but seriously, [member='Mugotu'] can u consider implementing the dimensions that Mastershoes and his team are working on for this HQ Cover Project? It would be so official and dope as f**k.
Mine will be using the PROPER sizes for each emu's official box, idk if the values he put in that post are proper or not yet. Also, I will be figuring out some way to work them into the cover downloader, maybe Lustar will add sections for them on gametdb since thats the entire reason he rewrote half of the site was to make it possible to add more systems easily. Plus, since there aren't any more games for those systems being released, it should be rather quick to have every game's cover on the site.

I'm trying to get cover sets together of the PROPER size for everything, cuz that's how i roll, I'm just trying to help the scene, no need to get snappy (if you weren't sorry, it seemed a littly snappy with the CAPS and the idk BS). I'm also a member of GameTDB, so I'd love to have as much ready to upload as possible with the PROPER size, whether that's on GameTDB or via my own mediafire account.... Can't we co-operate and maybe if you have your own "revelation" on what the PROPER sizes are, (I'm trying to scale properly to the same 680 pixel height as a Standard Full HQ cover, sounded about right) you could share them with me?

Let's work together man, I can be a big asset to the Emu project. :)
Just had an idea for a how GameTDB might be able to sort these since I don't think there's any real GameID to identify the games:
You could just use the checksum of the ROM's since they are much smaller and actually calculating them at runtime could be feasible. Some of the ROM's actually have a checksum in their header, too.
WiiFlow could just have one process download the first cover while another one is hashing the next. The processor SHOULD be able to get through the information from both faster than either the USB or the WiFi can get it to it.
This won't work too well for any disk based console emulators but there aren't as many of those available.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
A + variant of a logo a posted in WiiFlow thread

logodrafte.png
I like the style you got going here with and w/o the "+" and I like the circles around your sig, reminds me of Artstyle - Orbit or Atoms though I personally would prefer the dark ring on the inside to be an open one not solid gray, but an open ring with white ;)

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had an idea for a how GameTDB might be able to sort these since I don't think there's any real GameID to identify the games:
You could just use the checksum of the ROM's since they are much smaller and actually calculating them at runtime could be feasible. Some of the ROM's actually have a checksum in their header, too.
WiiFlow could just have one process download the first cover while another one is hashing the next. The processor SHOULD be able to get through the information from both faster than either the USB or the WiFi can get it to it.
This won't work too well for any disk based console emulators but there aren't as many of those available.
The ID string wouldn't be as short, but GoodTools IDs could also be used, couldn't they? Most large packs of ROMs worth downloading are already identified and labeled with those, I think.

mugotu

OP
Trophies
Website
www.wiiflowiki.com
XP
Country
United States
The ID string wouldn't be as short, but GoodTools IDs could also be used, couldn't they? Most large packs of ROMs worth downloading are already identified and labeled with those, I think.
Yes, I have thought about this and my solution is to expand the capability of the game list so that it is not reliant on a gameid at all. This will fix things like having multiple versions of homebrew installed and wiiflow being able to distinguish them. I've also contemplated the possibility of parsing no-intro/goodmerge dats and using that to display info about the roms.

Side note: My linux switch has been suprisingly sweet this time. I have found an editor that I like as much if not more than notepad++ called Kate (finally), and got my ati proprietary drivers working properly. Everything is smooth now, no apps to miss from windows! I will need to get used to some things as they pop up im sure, like managing my wii hdd, but the devkit setup was easier than expected with the badass perl scripts wintermute has on the dkp svn. Ofc though I will have to compile from source for myself to be sure I have the latest libogc and dkPPC. The google sync I think made it the easiest for me to switch, just installed chrome and signed in and all my bookmarks and shet were synced, then installed dropbox and synced. Since I had lost everything on my windows partition, I had everything I could get already. Thank god for cloud services!

Reactions: 1 person

flamepanther

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the whole, I've found Wii HDD management pretty painless on Linux. Then again I've never tried it under Windows. Most distros will mount external NTFS or FAT volumes as writable automatically. Wiithon could stand an update, but still works quite well for WBFS partitions, and WIT is available same (I presume) as under Windows. The minor caveats are that you can't defragment FAT or NTFS volumes, and you have to add yourself to a group called "disks" to use Wiithon without superuser privileges IIRC. The only real PITA is managing virtual NAND.

Nice to hear about the direction the emulator/ROM support is going. Have you given any thought yet to consoles that used different box dimensions in different regions?

fluffykiwi

Trophies
Website
www.gba.shorturl.com
XP
Country
Also delighted to hear your plans for the future.

Sounds exactly what I would want myself.

I already have full sets of the Nintendo roms for most nintendo systems, except Gamecube where I was more selective. My Nintendo folder is about 300GB, not including Wii, VC, etc.

The idea of having them all available in WiiFlow with full boxcovers is very exciting. It also helps explain why 3TB Drive support may be useful.

@pepxl also loving your signature image

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not much of an artist, but I did have an idea for using a fan of games for the + symbol as such: http://imgur.com/b9PWx

If someone else wants to run with this...
I like the concept, i'd like to see it flushed out a little bit more with some graphics on the covers and the wiiflow, I'm no artist so I can't do it myself :P

pinkuzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wondering if someone can help me out.. not sure if it is a bug in this version.. I've seen this mentioned a few different places but never really answered.

My channel forwarder for wiiflow works exactly every other time. When it doesn't work there is a delay with a black screen after which it returns to the system menu. I'll play a game, it will return me to the system menu and the next time I go into wiiflow it will just reset to the system menu, then I can try again and it will work. It's like clockwork. Every other time. I can't use the return to wiiflow feature either because it seems that even returning directly to wiiflow from the game triggers the problem. I did find that after exiting a game, if I go into another channel before trying wiiflow it seems to work. Any ideas? I'm running 4.3, latest wiiflow & forwarder and I have the FIX94 d2x v9b1 (r47) WAD pack installed.

lukinoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wondering if someone can help me out.. not sure if it is a bug in this version.. I've seen this mentioned a few different places but never really answered.

My channel forwarder for wiiflow works exactly every other time. When it doesn't work there is a delay with a black screen after which it returns to the system menu. I'll play a game, it will return me to the system menu and the next time I go into wiiflow it will just reset to the system menu, then I can try again and it will work. It's like clockwork. Every other time. I can't use the return to wiiflow feature either because it seems that even returning directly to wiiflow from the game triggers the problem. I did find that after exiting a game, if I go into another channel before trying wiiflow it seems to work. Any ideas? I'm running 4.3, latest wiiflow & forwarder and I have the FIX94 d2x v9b1 (r47) WAD pack installed.

Wiiflow forwarders does not work with wiiflow "advanced". Wait until miigotu releases them or use Abdalah's one: http://gbatemp.net/t...ost__p__4173393

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAybe someone can help me out here.. I decided to go with WiiFlow Advanced and it runs all my games great and all, but I can't seem to figure out why my music ain't playing at all. I placed only 2 tracks in the music folder in .mp3/.ogg format hoping at least one would play. I've search the threads here for about a week and haven't had no luck. I have the current version of WiiFlow Advanced. Can someone please point out what I may be doing wrong or forgetting? Perhaps I may not be the only one with this issue. Thanks.

lukinoz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
MAybe someone can help me out here.. I decided to go with WiiFlow Advanced and it runs all my games great and all, but I can't seem to figure out why my music ain't playing at all. I placed only 2 tracks in the music folder in .mp3/.ogg format hoping at least one would play. I've search the threads here for about a week and haven't had no luck. I have the current version of WiiFlow Advanced. Can someone please point out what I may be doing wrong or forgetting? Perhaps I may not be the only one with this issue. Thanks.
There is a bug. Miigotu knows about it.

ToddofWar420

CoverFlow Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a bug. Miigotu knows about it.
Oh Thanks. That really explains a lot then. So I'm not going to worry about it then cuz I'm pretty sure Miigotu will fix it in his next release. Thanks for the quick reply to btw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol