Hacking WiiFlow Advanced

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Although probably a complicated to change, one possible way of solving the problem of theme number and memory space limits would be to only load into memory the current, next, and previous configuration. I understand it could slightly slow the process of switching through different views but I would assume that most people don't spend a large percentage of their time doing so. If it does speed up time loading WiiFlow up in the first place (which I think people DO go through more often) it could be worth the effort.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Ok, here you go:
I made separate everything for both loaders and things got worse.
Wiiflow r353 takes >90 secs to load and is very unstable, it took me 30 mins to reach the homebrew mode :(
Wiiflow+mod_yardapee is codedumping at startup and after deleting the wiiflow_plus folder starts but hangs to black screen upon exit, no themes supported yet

I want a stable wiiflow that loads fast, has carbonik and run games, please help.

Rem: I noted that Wiiflow+mod_yardepee fixed the homebrew mode cache bug :)

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok, here you go:
I made separate everything for both loaders and things got worse.
Wiiflow r353 takes >90 secs to load and is very unstable, it took me 30 mins to reach the homebrew mode :(
Wiiflow+mod_yardapee is codedumping at startup and after deleting the wiiflow_plus folder starts but hangs to black screen upon exit, no themes supported yet

I want a stable wiiflow that loads fast, has carbonik and run games, please help.

R352 and up can still have issues, they are not very well tested yet.
R351 should be OK though, and 355 and up too..

Oh, and please report mod issues in the wiiflow thread, not the wiiflow advanced thread.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Oh, and please report mod issues in the wiiflow thread, not the wiiflow advanced thread.
Just to clarify, when he says "wiiflow+mod" that should be read "WiiFlow-plus-mod" by [member='yardape8000']. so he was just comparing wiiflow-mod to the version of wiiflow-plus that [member='yardape8000'] had fixed some bugs on while we wait for the next release.

Reactions: 1 person

Ape8000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code dumping at startup usually means you have something set wrong in your wiiflow.ini.

Rem: I noted that Wiiflow+mod_yardepee fixed the homebrew mode cache bug
News to me. I have homebrew mode disabled. :)

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just to clarify, when he says "wiiflow+mod" that should be read "WiiFlow-plus-mod" by [member='yardape8000']. so he was just comparing wiiflow-mod to the version of wiiflow-plus that [member='yardape8000'] had fixed some bugs on while we wait for the next release.
I was reacting on this bit: Wiiflow r353 takes >90 secs to load and is very unstable, it took me 30 mins to reach the homebrew mode.
It looks like the rev. mentioned is from wiiflow mod..

If i misread it , please ignore the post...

rhino4eva

Trophies
XP
Country
has anyone had trouble with the latest version.
i have a sony 500 gig HDD that is FAT32
Wiiflow is on the drive and the latest cios is installed on the Wii
on opening the HBC the Wiiflow icon is there and runs ok aprart from ...
the only way to get wiiflow to continue past the loading screen is to pull out the usb connector
and reinsert.
is this some sort of intialisation problem in wiiflow that can be fixed or is it a HDD compatability issue

:blink: :blink: :blink:

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
the only way to get wiiflow to continue past the loading screen is to pull out the usb connector
and reinsert.
is this some sort of intialisation problem in wiiflow that can be fixed or is it a HDD compatability issue

This would be the latest and greatest WiiFlow+ has to offer, unless you're looking to install regular WiiFlow where I would suggest that you go here instead and ask what might be going on. I recommend installing the WiiFlow+(Changelog) I've linked to and let me know if you're still having the same issue, also ensure that you have installed d2xv8 Final or d2xv9beta(r49) as your latest cIOS installed.

rhino4eva

Trophies
XP
Country
and reinsert.

This would be the latest and greatest WiiFlow+ has to offer, unless you're looking to install regular WiiFlow where I would suggest that you go here instead and ask what might be going on. I recommend installing the WiiFlow+(Changelog) I've linked to and let me know if you're still having the same issue, also ensure that you have installed d2xv8 Final or d2xv9beta(r49) as your latest cIOS installed.

tried all your recomendations and still the same problem

ashmiller

Trophies
XP
WiiFlow Advanced r426 3.0 alpha 3 does not recognize fully partitioned WBFS drives.
This problem was reproduced both with d2x cIOS v8b1(r41) and d2x cIOS v9b1(r47) installed (separately, of course).
I cycled through all USB options (USB1 - USB7; even though USB1 is known to be correct), and this problem persisted.
The Channel and SD views both work and display correctly.
As far as I know, I am using no NAND emulation (because I don't see any speed issues).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw that someone else earlier in the thread had the same problems, but he had no solution.
Anyone know how to fix this?
I would prefer not to have to reformat the drive, if possible.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
WiiFlow Advanced r426 3.0 alpha 3 does not recognize fully partitioned WBFS drives.
This problem was reproduced both with d2x cIOS v8b1(r41) and d2x cIOS v9b1(r47) installed (separately, of course).
I cycled through all USB options (USB1 - USB7; even though USB1 is known to be correct), and this problem persisted.
As far as I know, I am using no NAND emulation (because I don't see any speed issues).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw that someone else earlier in the thread had the same problems, but he had no solution.
Supposedly that is something that is just broken in this version but hopefully will be fixed in the next one.
We've been waiting for a while now, though, for the next version to be released so as I see it you have two options:
1. use wbfs2fat to CONVERT your WBFS partition to FAT32. That way it will keep all the games on there. They will just be WBFS files in the WBFS folder and WiiFlow-Advanced should see them just fine.
2. otherwise you would have to start using a different loader. my favorite is in my signature right next to WiiFlow-Advanced (you can see my signature if you're logged in) and is the most similar to what you're using but there are plenty of other options out there.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Here's another version of my GameTDB to custom_titles.ini file downloader program.
I noticed a little bug where it was reading and writing the files as ANSI and not UTF-8 which only caused problems for some extra characters outside of 0-9 and A-Z
(For example, since Okami has an accent line above the O it just shows up as kami)
I think as long as the extra character is in the font that WiiFlow is using it will show up now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?afcuy9ueurva1cd (source code included, too)

For those who didn't already know what this is, you run it, select your language and hit download and it will create a "custom_titles.ini" file for you to put in your /wiiflow/settings folder based off of GameTDB.com
If you already had some custom titles or custom cover colors set up you can "import" your old file before downloading and it will keep those settings.
You can even use it to merge several existing "custom_titles.ini" files from previous installations by importing them one after another before hitting the download button.

You do have to have java installed for it to work but it can run on anything that's running standard java (Mac, Windows, Linux, etc.)
There are command line options, too, if you want to use them. Use -help, /?, -? or help command line options for details.

ashmiller

Trophies
XP
Supposedly that is something that is just broken in this version but hopefully will be fixed in the next one.
We've been waiting for a while now, though, for the next version to be released so as I see it you have two options:
1. use wbfs2fat to CONVERT your WBFS partition to FAT32. That way it will keep all the games on there. They will just be WBFS files in the WBFS folder and WiiFlow-Advanced should see them just fine.
2. otherwise you would have to start using a different loader. my favorite is in my signature right next to WiiFlow-Advanced (you can see my signature if you're logged in) and is the most similar to what you're using but there are plenty of other options out there.

1. So just converting to FAT32 would fix the problem?
-----I could definitely do that, but you've now piqued my interest in WiiFlow-Mod.

2. Are there any perks to switching to that (such as GameCube emulation, etc.)?

-----Also, you mentioned switching would circumvent the WBFS issue.
3. Does that mean that WiiFlow-Mod doesn't require the wbfs2fat converter?

4. Lastly, would I have to install different cIOSs or would the d2x cIOS v9b1(r47) pack be okay?

Thanks in advance for the help, you're killin' it Maxternal!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

-----I could definitely do that, but you've now piqued my interest in WiiFlow-Mod.

4. Lastly, would I have to install different cIOSs or would the d2x cIOS v9b1(r47) pack be okay?

It can run gamecube through DML. It can use WBFS. It can run old school roms like an emulator. your current cios would work fine

but then again, converting to FAT32 works, too.

Edit : it should be noted, too, that all of the above features are planned to be included in future versions (if not the next version) of WiiFlow Advanced.
Also, they just barely added the ability to play movies and media files to WiiFlow-mod

ashmiller

Trophies
XP

It can run gamecube through DML. It can use WBFS. It can run old school roms like an emulator. your current cios would work fine

but then again, converting to FAT32 works, too.

Yeah, I heard about DML.
I wanted to use it, but need to have the games running from USB.

For the emulators, do I just put the ROMs in the same "plugins" folder on the SD?
Or would it be possible to put them into a folder called "ROMs" on the USB?

mikenaly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, with my luck, I have missed it somewhere in this thread, but I couldn't find an answer, so I am going to ask. I have a couple fo games on my HDD thatI can't get to work. I have tried USBLoader GX, and CFG Loader (which is actually my current over all preference). Tried making sure everything is up to date Also tried copying the games over again. All with no luck.

Looking for a solution, I stumbled across WiiFlow (guess it's actually WIIFlow advanced) and thought I would give it a try and had no problems getting it installed. I can successfully get my system menu channels to show up when it loads (they come up by default), and I can get my homebrew applications, so I know it is at least working to some extent.

However, when I try to access my games, all I get is the screen that asks me to install a game or choose a partition. I haven't tried actually installing a game yet. Probably give that a shot after dinner, but nothing works to get my currently installed games detected, so I suspect that I won't be able to install either.

Anyway, after all of that back story, here's the real issue, I saw in the thread where people had this problem with drives formatted WBFS. My drive is fat32 (Western Digital My Passport 500GB), it works fine with the other loaders I have tried. I have only a single partition, and my games are stored in a WBFS folder. I also have my covers stored on the HDD to save space on the SD Card, a folder that contains some Wads for installing virtual console games, and a folder that contains some video files. To the best of my understanding, there is really no reason why this setup should render my games undetectable.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ALcfGYLXcjQ?si=ePdtM6b0p5sWaxof