• Replies 83
  • Likes 2

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand why people keep making up excuses for Nintendo on this.

I'm sure it's not the easiest thing to program, but I'm sure it can be done. They have a whole team of professional, highly talented developers that work on this. Sure, it might be complicated, but they have FULL control over their hardware and development environment, things I'm sure nobody outside can dream of having access to. Nobody knows the capabilities/possibilities of the vWii system when interacting with the WiiU environment.

I'm sure if they wanted to, they could make this happen. The GamePad Wii functionality without emulating the controls itself as a Wii Classic Controller Pro is near useless, it's too small of a screen to set in front of you and play on 90% of the time if you're using a separate controller.

If VMWare can get components on a physical PC to interact with a virtual machine, why can't the WiiU have a wrapper that translates GamePad inputs to CCP commands in Wii mode? Come on..virtualization technology is advanced enough for Nintendo to make this happen.

Read what WiiUBricker said, vWii uses Bluetooth, Wii U uses WiFi. It's not going to be easy, if at all. This isn't a made up excuse on Nintendo's part, it's a hardware/software limitation. Besides, how would Wii game with motion plus even work with the game pad, how could you swing swords?

People need to face the truth, it's not a simple task. If you want to try experimenting and figure it out, go right ahead.

victor.m

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read what WiiUBricker said, vWii uses Bluetooth, Wii U uses WiFi. It's not going to be easy, if at all. This isn't a made up excuse on Nintendo's part, it's a hardware/software limitation. Besides, how would Wii game with motion plus even work with the game pad, how could you swing swords?

People need to face the truth, it's not a simple task. If you want to try experimenting and figure it out, go right ahead.
I understand it's no easy task, but virtualization has tricked client systems into interpreting host commands however they want for a long time. I understand it's hard, but I'm assuming vWii is running virtualized in the WiiU environment. This means the WiiU environment must be capable of capturing/translating inputs into something vWii will understand, even if this requires modifications to vWii/WiiU software.

I know I can't figure it out, and I don't think any one else that has any sort of access to the WiiU via exploits can, either. I think Nintendo has their very own system wide open in front of them, they are highly talented programmers who are intimate with the vWii/WiiU software and hardware. They should be able to figure it out.

Edit: To address the issue of games that need motion control, simply don't allow GamePad controls for those games. Done. GamePad controls only work in games that support CCP.

Reactions: mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you seriously playing something like skyward sword off screen now? I can't even imagine how that works. To be far enough away not to kill your gamepad you wouldn't be able to see anything.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you seriously playing something like skyward sword off screen now? I can't even imagine how that works. To be far enough away not to kill your gamepad you wouldn't be able to see anything.

No, it was just an example. I don't have USB Loader GX set up with my HDD yet. It wouldn't work with any game that uses motion controls.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
some people , myself included cannot view youtube vids unless you switch out your user agent in the settings , which does work , but has to be done on each visit to you tube... i dont know why they dont play ,,, they used too...

I have that Issue too and so does a lot of people ... hopefully they fixed it :S I think it has to do with the ad at the begining of the video.

Makoto0729

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, noob question, but... I turned on my Wii U last night and it just kind of updated on its own. No "Do you want to update?" or "Confirm update" screen or anything. I'm relieved it didn't screw with anything, but how can I turn that off? I've already looked in the settings for an auto-update setting and aren't finding squat.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, noob question, but... I turned on my Wii U last night and it just kind of updated on its own. No "Do you want to update?" or "Confirm update" screen or anything. I'm relieved it didn't screw with anything, but how can I turn that off? I've already looked in the settings for an auto-update setting and aren't finding squat.

Only real way for now is to disable the wireless connection settings in the Wii U menu.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think someone needs to put something like this into production
vwii-bracket-jpg.4494

I just might manufacture that in my spare time, even though i don't have a wii U:unsure:

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just might manufacture that in my spare time, even though i don't have a wii U:unsure:
Then have someone lend you a gamepad or something. You want it to fit in there VERY WELL. I wouldn't want the Wiimote to come loose while playing a game that required you to shake it or (worse) have the gamepad pop out on you.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Only real way for now is to disable the wireless connection settings in the Wii U menu.
I use proxy and enable/disable the proxy on my computer, this way I don't need to go to the console's settings every time.
Same for 3DS, if I enable it accidentally it won't connect; but Wifi will work with DS games (as it doesn't have proxy settings)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use proxy and enable/disable the proxy on my computer, this way I don't need to go to the console's settings every time.
Same for 3DS, if I enable it accidentally it won't connect; but Wifi will work with DS games (as it doesn't have proxy settings)

Well, I can't do that since I'm not the admin, my roommate is, so I can't change those settings like that :P

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much. Not gonna update since there's no real need. The last update was the best one (off-screen homebrew apps mostly), but this was was meh.

You need to update as soon as you need to check the shop. I check the shop at least once a week. The new Mario 3D world is coming out, gotta use the shop to get that.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country

That doesn't matter as that is not how virtualization works. As an example, a Virtualbox machine has your choice of an Intel HD Audio or Soundblaster 16 card regardless of what sound card you actually have in your computer. Input is no different. So it shouldn't matter what the real input device is using because the fake bluetooth controller in vWii mode has no connection to the real one in the Wii U. Unless they are doing something silly like just directly passing bluetooth commands directly to the vWii guest (similar to direct disk access or direct USB access in virtualbox) in which case they just need to program a bluetooth dongle emulator for the vWii virtual machine.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That doesn't matter as that is not how virtualization works. As an example, a Virtualbox machine has your choice of an Intel HD Audio or Soundblaster 16 card regardless of what sound card you actually have in your computer. Input is no different. So it shouldn't matter what the real input device is using because the fake bluetooth controller in vWii mode has no connection to the real one in the Wii U. Unless they are doing something silly like just directly passing bluetooth commands directly to the vWii guest (similar to direct disk access or direct USB access in virtualbox) in which case they just need to program a bluetooth dongle emulator for the vWii virtual machine.

Heh, good luck getting someone to write a VM for that. If it can be done that way, that's great, but it's not happening for a while.

VM can do it, writing one is another story

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardware emulation is easy :wink: I can see some modification to use WiFi if that is even possible for video and controller. One point Max...gamepad has bluetooth to communicate with wiimote as it has it's own sensor bar. Firmware mod might possibly use that to run controller function from gamepad to Wii U. Unless bar on gamepad is not blue tooth. Admittedly, I am stabbing in the dark.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Hardware emulation is easy :wink: I can see some modification to use WiFi if that is even possible for video and controller. One point Max...gamepad has bluetooth to communicate with wiimote as it has it's own sensor bar. Firmware mod might possibly use that to run controller function from gamepad to Wii U. Unless bar on gamepad is not blue tooth. Admittedly, I am stabbing in the dark.
I know it's kinda misleading when Nintendo went and named the thing "sensor bar" but there is no sensor in the sensor bar at all. It's just a group of infrared LED "light bulbs." The actual sensor is in the end of the Wiimote. The Wiimote connects through Bluetooth directly to the console itself and the Wiimote just basically sends the console information about what it's seeing and figures out where you're pointing based on the angle of the lights it sees. The wire to the sensor bar carries no information. The most the console can do with it is turn it on and off which is just as functional as plugging it in or unplugging it. Even if you unplug the sensor bar, it still reacts fine to the buttons. It's just like you were pointing it at the floor or something.

I think that's a fairly common misconception so I thought I'd take the chance to clear that up. :teach:

Reactions: tbgtbg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work