Hacking Wii U System Update 5.0 released

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Ye, i am still on 4.1 and i also had to unplug from the wall to stop the update so i also question the legality of that, but what about who already updated to 5 considering the changelog, will it update itself with the wiiu off when standby is disabled after we update to 5?
Probly not cause the internet access is supposed to be turned off right?
Which means we lose the quick menu but we still can unplug it from the wall when we see on screen saying it's gonna update hopefully... unless it downloads the update while we're playing a game and then installs it while turned off even with standby off... would have to unplug from the wall every single time to be 100% safe lol

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ye, i blocked it, but even after i blocked it, i got for the 1st time the message saying preparing the update.
I didn't block too long before i got the preparing to update message so either it was already downloaded or it's not really blocking, i didn't get another message about the update since tho.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
yeah i think once you let it prepare it's saved it onto your wiiu and it wont ask to update anymore. mine now says to click the web browser to install it...which i won't be :P

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Called Nintendo Nederland (the Netherlands) to ask about the automatic update.
They said that it was to improve services and new features were added.
The fact that it happens automatically was something that was described in the TOS from 4.1.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
You still have to turn off automatic downloads too.
But on settings the option is to receive or not software downloads via spotpass (which i dun even know what it is), and it says nothing about system updates so i'm not sure that option will prevent it. (and btw it doesn't prevent cause i had it off, both the automatic downloads and standby and i still got the message of preparing update when i turned on my wiiu yesterday...)

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
To be fair for the average user automatic updates are a good thing.

This is what I was thinking. Have anyone read how console users generally feel about update systems? PS3 was horrible and still pretty much is as downloading and installing stuff takes ages and Wii U did take some negativity after launch as it was same thing with it.
PS3 still just downloads updates, updating is up to user. With automatic installion there is risks one being maybe someone has timer on TV set to save energy and Wii U may start updating. Other one being faulty updates like this one was. I'm glad Nintendo responded my email and they are working to make update so I can bloody play with the system again.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are STILL freaking out and losing sleep over the update, despite the fact we have received assurances from Crediar and Marionumer1 over this and the fact it has no impact on the exploit out all. Really? That's just sad. Gotta love mass hysteria:rofl2:

updating now..i won't be losing sleep in fact i'll be going there soon as it's done :P

Good move, people need to calm down and know that this doesn't do a damn thing negative, if they don't want auto updates, they can disable standby and auto-update in the settings. Failing that, block the Nintendo server IP address.

For those still wondering, the booting into vWii trick still works (for the most part), but if your are met by the "Preparing The Update," you should immediately pull the plug out of the back of the Wii U (or the wall, whichever is more convenient based on your setup). If you don't catch this before the actual update process begins, you have no choice but to let it continue running. Otherwise you risk bricking your Wii U! While 5.0.0 itself may be safe at this point, auto updates are being implemented with it. Meaning once you update to 5.0.0 Nintendo can update you without being prompted or anything. Once the Wiikey U comes out (and other exploits for Wii U mode) down the road, I'm willing to bet, Nintendo will be rolling out 'silent updates' to inhibit the use of said devices/software exploits. If you can avoid updating to 5.0.0, I highly recommend it for this very reason.

If you've already updated to 5.0.0, and plan on using any sort of hacks on your console (or already are for the vWii), I recommend wiping out all of your internet settings on the console itself to keep it from connecting to the internet. This will prevent further silent updates from being installed. As for disc updates, we need to find a way to bypass these as well... I wonder if the Wiikey U will have an option to block the update partition.... Even if it does we will still need an option for software exploit users. But at least we can limit the amount of updates getting onto our systems for now.

TeamScriptKiddies, This is false, you are not forced to do auto updates, please don't spread false information. This is only true if you enable standby mode in the user settings which is OPTIONAL. Turn it off in the settings menu, and you will NOT get updates while the console is in standby. It's REALLY not that terribly hard to do so, there's no need to exacerbate the issue by spreading flagrant false information when the topic has been discussed by other users. PLEASE calm down, dude. Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? There's no need to spread even more panic, now is there? Just disable auto updates, disable standby, add the IP address to the blacklist, but don't spread false information, please. I disabled standby and auto updates the second the update was completed. No need to lose sleep over it.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those still wondering, the booting into vWii trick still works (for the most part), but if your are met by the "Preparing The Update," you should immediately pull the plug out of the back of the Wii U (or the wall, whichever is more convenient based on your setup). If you don't catch this before the actual update process begins, you have no choice but to let it continue running. Otherwise you risk bricking your Wii U! While 5.0.0 itself may be safe at this point, auto updates are being implemented with it. Meaning once you update to 5.0.0 Nintendo can update you without being prompted or anything. Once the Wiikey U comes out (and other exploits for Wii U mode) down the road, I'm willing to bet, Nintendo will be rolling out 'silent updates' to inhibit the use of said devices/software exploits. If you can avoid updating to 5.0.0, I highly recommend it for this very reason.

If you've already updated to 5.0.0, and plan on using any sort of hacks on your console (or already are for the vWii), I recommend wiping out all of your internet settings on the console itself to keep it from connecting to the internet. This will prevent further silent updates from being installed. As for disc updates, we need to find a way to bypass these as well... I wonder if the Wiikey U will have an option to block the update partition.... Even if it does we will still need an option for software exploit users. But at least we can limit the amount of updates getting onto our systems for now.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great to use quick boot you have to turn standby on. it is still possible to disable standby though to stop updates from being installed when the console is not on.

Exactly, it's really not hard for people to realize that this is what need to be done to prevent sneaky updates. People need to be educated that this is not really that big of an issue in the first place. :P Go to system menu, turn off standby. Done. I agree it is stupid that in order to use the quick menu you have to have standby on.

Thanks for the clarification!
No prob! :D

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are STILL freaking out and losing sleep over the update, despite the fact we have received assurances from Crediar and Marionumer1 over this and the fact it has no impact on the exploit out all. Really? That's just sad. Gotta love mass hysteria:rofl2:

Good move, people need to calm down and know that this doesn't do a damn thing negative, if they don't want auto updates, they can disable standby and auto-update in the settings. Failing that, block the Nintendo server IP address.

TeamScriptKiddies, This is false, you are not forced to do auto updates, please don't spread false information. This is only true if you enable standby mode in the user settings which is OPTIONAL. Turn it off in the settings menu, and you will NOT get updates while the console is in standby. It's REALLY not that terribly hard to do so, there's no need to exacerbate the issue by spreading flagrant false information when the topic has been discussed by other users. PLEASE calm down, dude. Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? There's no need to spread even more panic, now is there? Just disable auto updates, disable standby, add the IP address to the blacklist, but don't spread false information, please. I disabled standby and auto updates the second the update was completed. No need to lose sleep over it.

Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: the_randomizer

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, it's really not hard for people to realize that this is what need to be done to prevent sneaky updates. People need to be educated that this is not really that big of an issue in the first place. :P Go to system menu, turn off standby. Done. I agree it is stupid that in order to use the quick menu you have to have standby on.

No prob! :D

In standby the Wii U transfers Quick menu data to the gamepad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Gotta get that government cheese one new laptop a year +1