Wii U System Software Update 5.1.0 is Live

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
According to Zeldainformer it is now possible to navigate the system settings and menu as well without the gamepad. So all those Wii U deluxes for 200 and less on ebay that are only missing the gamepad may and I do may become usable. That's if the sellers update the systems to the latest update before shipping them out. I do know a several reputable ebay sellers. Hmmm may be getting a wii u soon! Just need someone to confirm Zelda's findings.

This is completely off topic
but if you are paying more than 100 dollars for a used WiiU without a GamePad on ebay, you are getting ripped off.
Buy a refurbished from Nintendo for 200 dollars includes everything and GamePad. https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/brow...dgets/productListRangeRow.jsp.addToCartFormId

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Question: Is the GamePad still required to play for the games that need it? One of them is Sonic Lost World.

If so, then forget ditching the GamePad unless you're willing to miss out on Nintendo exclusives on a Nintendo console.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
the update doesnt effect vwii
The update does change vWii content.
1 title Added (HCZP - hidden channel) (wiimpersonator reports it as system channel, but it's 00010008-48435a50)
1 title changed (IOS62)

http://wii.marcansoft.com/wiimpersonator/reports/vwii/

But it doesn't touch exiting channels/hack if that's what you meant.

Is the hidden channel used to transfer content from source vWii to the target Wiiu's vWii?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question: Is the GamePad still required to play for the games that need it? One of them is Sonic Lost World.

If so, then forget ditching the GamePad unless you're willing to miss out on Nintendo exclusives on a Nintendo console.

Mario Kart does not require a gamepad. Also, you still need the gamepad for system settings

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The update does change vWii content.
1 title Added (HCZP - hidden channel)
1 title changed (IOS62)

http://wii.marcansoft.com/wiimpersonator/reports/vwii/

But it doesn't touch exiting channels/hack if that's what you meant.

I find it weird that Nintendo touched vWii at all with this update, I mean, I thought that they weren't going to do anything with it anymore. I guess I'm confused as to why.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Mario Kart does not require a gamepad. Also, you still need the gamepad for system settings

So you need the GamePad for the System Settings? I thought the other guy said it didn't.

Well, Mario Kart 8 never really required the GamePad it's a game which uses it optionally if the user wants to or not.

I find it weird that Nintendo touched vWii at all with this update, I mean, I thought that they weren't going to do anything with it anymore. I guess I'm confused as to why.

Maybe because of NGC for Wii U? They'll need to update the firmware when it comes out too.

71Q4hJjgmfL._SL1500_.jpg

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After seeing it worked without the gamepad, I snagged a 99.99 one off ebay :) Will go great in my sons room for playing some of the more simple games, like Mario games for example.

And who knows maybe a gamepad will come along for cheap some day.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So my Wii U had updated already and I wasn't aware because the Notifications didn't even bring it up but after testing it out on the eShop it proved that it was updated.

The System Settings definitely needs the GamePad as well as the rest of other Wii U exclusives which require it (check at the back of the box).

It'd be stupid to just buy the console and not the GamePad knowing that I'd miss out on exclusives due to it, but like someone said, for the 'basic' games it's functional.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my Wii U had updated already and I wasn't aware because the Notifications didn't even bring it up but after testing it out on the eShop it proved that it was updated.

The System Settings definitely needs the GamePad as well as the rest of other Wii U exclusives which require it (check at the back of the box).

It'd be stupid to just buy the console and not the GamePad knowing that I'd miss out on exclusives due to it, but like someone said, for the 'basic' games it's functional.

No need to worry as this update doesn't fix the browser exploit, and the update does me no good for my purposes on Wii U.

3DSXLGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've gone back and forth on the wiiu disk reader thing, I'll just stick with it and hope by the time the disk reader dies I can backup my games and play without it :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-