Hacking wii u sd card locked after iosu kernel exploit!

vgmoose

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
My laptop SD slot thinks every card I put in is locked also. To get around this I usually put the lock slider about 1/2, 1/4, or 3/4 of the way down. It's annoying but sometimes I can get it to think it's not locked.

Like someone else here said, I think the problem is physical. There's a tab in the card slot that's supposed to be pushed up when write mode is enabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/11414-2-card-reader-card-write-protected

Some people on this forum fixed it by adjusting the lock slider, using tape or fiddling with the internal mechanism, Doesn't sound fun! good luck

mh123hack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
My laptop SD slot thinks every card I put in is locked also. To get around this I usually put the lock slider about 1/2, 1/4, or 3/4 of the way down. It's annoying but sometimes I can get it to think it's not locked.

Like someone else here said, I think the problem is physical. There's a tab in the card slot that's supposed to be pushed up when write mode is enabled.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/11414-2-card-reader-card-write-protected

Some people on this forum fixed it by adjusting the lock slider, using tape or fiddling with the internal mechanism, Doesn't sound fun! good luck

the sad thing is that my laptop can write towart the sd's but my wii u can't :(

citrus3000psi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the sad thing is that my laptop can write towart the sd's but my wii u can't :(

You are not understanding. The lock does nothing to the card. Its just a piece of plastic. The plastic bump hits an internal switch on the card reader. Your wiiu card reader has this internal switch bent which means even when no card is inserted, it still is being detected as write protected.

If this was me, I'd pull the wii-u apart and cut the trace to the lock protect signal or ground it, depending what the wiiu you is looking for.

This would make the wiiu never write protect a card. Which in my mind isn't important at all.

If you wanted a perfect install, desolder the sd card reader and install another (if you can find one). I'd almost bet the original wii card reader is a direct fit. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by citrus3000psi,

mh123hack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You are not understanding. The lock does nothing to the card. Its just a piece of plastic. The plastic bump hits an internal switch on the card reader. Your wiiu card reader has this internal switch bent which means even when no card is inserted, it still is being detected as write protected.

If this was me, I'd pull the wii-u apart and cut the trace to the lock protect signal or ground it, depending what the wiiu you is looking for.

This would make the wiiu never write protect a card. Which in my mind isn't important at all.

If you wanted a perfect install, desolder the sd card reader and install another (if you can find one). I'd almost bet the original wii card reader is a direct fit. Could be wrong though.

maybe your right but something i know is that in the newer wii's was a magnet that if you opened the wii the nand chip would fry.
i have worked with wii's allot but im not sure if the wii u has that too!

i got a black wii u with 32 gb.

Last edited by mh123hack,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
maybe your right but something i know is that in the newer wii's was a magnet that if you opened the wii the harddrive would fry.
i have worked with wii's allot but im not sure if the wii u has that too!

i got a black wii u with 32 gb harddrive.
What? The Wii doesn't have a hard drive, and neither does the Wii U. They both use flash memory which to my knowledge is not sensitive to magnets.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What? The Wii doesn't have a hard drive, and neither does the Wii U. They both use flash memory which to my knowledge is not sensitive to magnets.
I wouldn't bother. I'm 95% sure he's a troll, and if he's not then the other 5% probability is that he's legitimately clueless and no amount of explaining will help

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I believe you op....lol
After 2008 nintendo was very angry at the console hackers. So the decided to hide one of these in the console.
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/tradeshows/2006/CES/day3/toshiba085inch2.jpg
The magnet sitting on top of this is just there to trigger the thermite reaction. The goal was to melt down the entire console. Sadly, (like everything from nintendo) they couldn't afford decent parts and cheaped the thermite. Thus instead of full melt down you end up with just the hard drive smoking and melting down. I swear to this. Also, I have another true story to share.

One bright day, in the middle of the night
2 dead boys stood up to fight
Back to back they faced each other
Drew there swords and shot each other
A deaf cop heard the noise
And came and killed the 2 dead boys
If you don't believe this lie is true
Go ask the blind man he saw it too

ARVI80

Trophies
XP
Country
You probably need a fresh copy of loadiine and also save folder. Don't format the card and then put you're old configured loadiine or saves back on it.

LeoDark$ide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use Hp format tool or Mini Tool Wizard to find, fix, and format SD cards. You can even format 64gb EX cards and higher to Fat32, so that they will work in the Wii, Wii U and 3DS, or anything for that mater, that only see's 32gb.

Last edited by LeoDark$ide,

mh123hack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
after much work i went to see inside the sd slot and i saw that the lock swich his plasic piece is gone!
im not goinig to replace the sd lock but im bizzy to fix the lock and placing the lock switch that it is always unlocked!
does anyone has a picture of a sd lock that it is how it is normally?
top, sides and inside?
that makes it a lot easier.
now i know that it is hardware damage i know this makes the problem a lot easier!

Last edited by mh123hack,

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the locking switch is missing on the card itself, you can use some tape to simulate it. (Electric tape or duct tape)

If the switch detector is missing in the slot, you'll need to replace the slot. Unfortunately the Wii U's SD slot appears to be soldered to the system board, so replacing it will require desoldering. (Another option could be to permanently wire up the write-protect sensor wire to make it seem like it's always writable, but I'm not sure which pin this is.)

mh123hack

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If the locking switch is missing on the card itself, you can use some tape to simulate it. (Electric tape or duct tape)

If the switch detector is missing in the slot, you'll need to replace the slot. Unfortunately the Wii U's SD slot appears to be soldered to the system board, so replacing it will require desoldering. (Another option could be to permanently wire up the write-protect sensor wire to make it seem like it's always writable, but I'm not sure which pin this is.)

we know a better idea my father thought to ground the pin toward the wii u than it wont be a problem anymore.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i can send a picture but we were already bizzy with the wii u to ground the pin.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1