Hacking Wii U Piracy Discussion

Gruntzer

Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
piracy is bad, piracy is illegal and immoral

but i bought my wii u with the hope of pirating "some" games that are region locked and some that are not

Reactions: Ray Lewis

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're showing support of a rom loader, if they're merely saying "I'd like to see a USB loader sometime" I don't see what your problem is. If they were asking if there was one made yet, or begging for someone to make one, than I can see the annoyance.

There have been multiple postings of people asking on the current status of being able to play backups, up through "is it currently possible." I understand people giving ideas for projects, and am not trying to discourage such projects, the message in the OP is merely meant to be a current list of all projects, of which total zero at the current time. As there are no current methods for piracy on the Wii U, I think that information should be conveyed in a thread related to it so that people who don't yet know can find such information without having to ask

piracy is bad, piracy is illegal and immoral

but i bought my wii u with the hope of pirating "some" games that are region locked and some that are not

So in other words, you recognize you are doing something that you find morally wrong? ;) Not judging, just find that ironic lol

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
one question i have which would probable apply to most people here. if a usbloader for wii u is morally wrong then does anyone think the same for all emulators? as you couldnt possible play a legitly owned game on the emulators

dauphin327

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
one question i have which would probable apply to most people here. if a usbloader for wii u is morally wrong then does anyone think the same for all emulators? as you couldnt possible play a legitly owned game on the emulators
Yes both are equally the same, backup loading == same as emulators.

Reactions: Margen67

TurboTri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definition of morality:-
Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
A particular system of values and principles of conduct, especially one held by a specified person or society.

So morality is whatever a society or an individual decides it to be. So if a person believes 100% that he is morally right
to play emulated or backed up games then technically he is not wrong based on his belief. Naturally this does not
exempt one from the rules and regulations imposed by the country one resides in.

I try to avoid using morality to define my decisions outright where possible, I find it to be such a shakey foundation to stand on.
Morality and moral standards are what many people use to help them sleep at night.

I apologize for going OT

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is my view of both of them:

USB/Server/burned-disk/SD based loaders for current hardware should (again, in my opinion) be reserved for either those that own the game and want to play it without needing to pop the disk in/want to keep their disks in good condition (i.e. prevent scratches and smudges, mainly for collectors), or those that are in a financial situation such as they literally cannot afford the games that they want to play (i.e. make either no income or just enough to "get by", though in these situations they should probably be focusing all efforts on finding a steady source of income).

Emulators are ever so slightly different, but largely the same. As for myself, I like to use emulators as a way to keep all rips/copies of my old games on one system so that I don't have to plug in multiple systems, or, in very, very rare situations, to play a rare game that is currently unobtainable on the platform that I missed out on. (A good and very recent example is Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii. I do not have a N3DS, and would like to experience the original, so in the near future I may download a copy of XC for either Dolphin or a Wii USB loader. I justify this by saying that there are no copies of the original Xenoblade Chronicles that are obtainable for anywhere near even retail price, due to the game being very rare. I also guarantee that should I ever get a N3DS, I would shortly after get XC3D)

TL;DR version: In most people's eyes, current gen piracy takes away from a publisher's/developer's income, while previous gen piracy does not. While some won't even support emulators, many (myself included) do, either for convenience or to see what they have missed out of in previous generations

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo began NX work a lot earlier than people realiz. They'll release early in the life cycles of the other major systems also. I think the Wii U scene is basically allowed now to get some Wii U usage. The N64 had Metroid and other games planned which all disappeared. Zelda U cancelled (basically)? Where is Starfox? Metroid? Nintendo is giving up in the Wii U. that's why suddenly people were given details like the common key and other "stuff." Piracy? Most good games people have bought. Really, at this point, the Wii U is probably not going to get any more AAA titles.

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I think Nintendo began NX work a lot earlier than people realiz. They'll release early in the life cycles of the other major systems also. I think the Wii U scene is basically allowed now to get some Wii U usage. The N64 had Metroid and other games planned which all disappeared. Zelda U cancelled (basically)? Where is Starfox? Metroid? Nintendo is giving up in the Wii U. that's why suddenly people were given details like the common key and other "stuff." Piracy? Most good games people have bought. Really, at this point, the Wii U is probably not going to get any more AAA titles.

Well hopefully Zelda gets a wiiu release or i'll be pissed. I do find it unusual that nintendo have delayed it (What alternative actions do they have up their sleeves??)

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It's relatively common knowledge that Nintendo starts the conceptual stages of their next console very shortly after the current console is released. I would not be at all surprised if the NX (or whatever the next console is, we technically still don't know if the NX is another console or even just a nickname for their new web framework) started development around mid-2013

As for Zelda U being cancelled, I sure HOPE you're wrong, considering Aonuma has only mentioned delays, and those delays are not supposed to extend past 2016. We're not even supposed to hear technical details of the NX until mid-to-late 2016, if I recall correctly

I would be very excited if Nintendo started easing up ever so slightly on security in favor of developing their next console, though, as I think the Wii U scene in general would greatly benefit
Well hopefully Zelda gets a wiiu release or i'll be pissed. I do find it unusual that nintendo have delayed it (What alternative actions do they have up their sleeves??)
I'm thinking that the released reasons are a) corporate double-speak for "Due to the vast amount of space the game takes up, we are beginning to run into technical issues, b) they are deciding to majorly re-work the plot, past simple maintenance, or c) they realized the overworld was WAY too empty, and are coming up with a multitude of new sidequests. I'm personally thinking it's most likely a mix of the latter two

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No details were "given," they were obtained through various exploits. Nintendo would never give that info away even if the console was obsolete.

As for the Wii U, i see its short commercial life cycling coming to an end soon too. Perhaps that's why they announced the NX so soon...

However, once homebrew takes off on the U i bet hardware sales will spike for a bit which will ultimately lead to more accessory and software sales.

Its not over just yet....

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for the Wii U, i see its short commercial life cycling coming to an end soon too. Perhaps that's why they announced the NX so soon...
Nah, they announced it to avoid all the "Ermahgerd Nintenduhr's leaving the console biznus furevuhr!"s. It was a smart move, but they should have done more to also tell the general public that they aren't jumping ship on the Wii U, because according to Nintendo's console cycles, it still easily has 2 years on it (although I'm banking on about one more year of solid software sales, then the rest being shovelware that sees the console off)
However, once homebrew takes off on the U i bet hardware sales will spike for a bit which will ultimately lead to more accessory and software sales.

Its not over just yet....

*fingers crossed for above scenario*

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're right in that they're the exact same thing.

You're wrong in that it is absolutely possible to play a legit owned game on emulators. Cartridge dumpers, retrode, etc, are some ways people could get/play their own 100% legal ROM images, so long as they don't then distribute them or keep them when selling/giving away the carts.

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're wrong in that it is absolutely possible to play a legit owned game on emulators. Cartridge dumpers, retrode, etc, are some ways people could get/play their own 100% legal ROM images, so long as they don't then distribute them or keep them when selling/giving away the carts.

Valid point is valid. Thank you tbb043, you have presented a point that I missed :)

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

2Hack

HYPiavelli
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
Canada

I think that is way too much trouble personally. I would prefer to download copies of my games rather than dump the cart myself; especially for something like the gameboy generation. Like, either use 15MB to download, which is seconds even on shitty Canada internet, or buy a cart dumper, dump cart, move from PC to mSD, put mSD in flash cart. Play game.

I'm in the belief that if I own it, downloading it should be no different. Like, for example, early leaks of games. I already have the game preordered and paid off, why can't I play the game?

FPSRussi4

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I think that is way too much trouble personally. I would prefer to download copies of my games rather than dump the cart myself; especially for something like the gameboy generation. Like, either use 15MB to download, which is seconds even on shitty Canada internet, or buy a cart dumper, dump cart, move from PC to mSD, put mSD in flash cart. Play game.

I'm in the belief that if I own it, downloading it should be no different. Like, for example, early leaks of games. I already have the game preordered and paid off, why can't I play the game?

I second this notion, but I also accept that when I download games I don't own I'm pirating.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which one of the three games do you want to pirate?
Seriously, after a couple of weeks being released wii u games are 20 bucks.
Third party games aren't worth buying as they cut a ton out (compared to xb360 and ps3) of the game.
Combine that with no support, no updates, no dlc, and you get their version of a wii u game.
Face it, the only games worth pirating are first party games. And well if you like playing a nintendo then you shouldn't rob from them.
If you don't like playing nintendo then why are you here asking about pirating nintendo games?? Go to the store, shove a game in your pocket, and run like hell.
It's the exact same thing as pirating. Doesn't matter how you slice it. That's exactly what you are doing. So I ask why wait for an exploit? Just go to your store and steal it. No waiting to download, no hard drive needed, and no exploit needed.
Stop referring to yourselves as pirates. You are thieves. Also, when/if you bought a copy. You paid for one copy. (whether it was downloaded from eshop or purchased disk) It was meant to be one copy and if you damage it because you or your family are careless/morons, you have to purchase another copy. If you punch a hole in your out of warranty tv does that mean you can go to the store and take another one off the shelf and walk out without paying? (you might try but odds are you'll get yourself in trouble) The answer is no. You must now buy another one. Same goes for games. I don't want to hear "well in my country games are expensive". Still does not justify or change the fact you are a thief. Also if you can't afford said "expensive" games, then you should stop playing so many games and maybe get a/another job to have some extra money. Buy your stuff guys, you are the reason games cost 60.00 US on release day.

Reactions: Kinnay

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    +2
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG7fk_DUz5g +1