Hacking Wii U Homebrew Situation and FAQ

adamnewy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, since I know that you guys were using a webkit exploit, would the new webkit exploits for the vita and ps4 work on the wii u?

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
As mentioned in the one FAQ question, it's unlikely to break the in-progress Wii U exploit for various reasons and vWii exploits work on every version.

I know you may have been asked this a thousand times so I am sorry but I waited on 5.0.0 for along time and got tired of waiting tbh and had bad MK8 online withdrawal symptoms so I updated to 5.2.0 now I want to go with the WiiKeyU when its out, now please be honest with me, am I completely screwed and is this going to turn into another 3DS 4.5.0 locked firmware affair again now and yes I want it for back ups only at the moment, sorry to be blunt! Can you please give me some helpful info on what you know about homebrew and back ups or WiiKeyU or whichever comes first and put me out of my misery? Thanks :)

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
<snip>

I can't even begin to explain how wrong this is. First off, the Wii U isn't magically going to format your laptop/desktop's hard drive simply by connecting it to the Wii U, it's already in use and would fail because it's protected. Even if it did, that computer would be useless since nobody (aside from a few people) has the common key to decrypt it, so good job fucking up your really expensive setup. It wouldn't even allow you to get the keys either, that's stored in the OTP in the motherboard (OTP = one time programmable memory, basically a bunch of fuses that are selectively blown out to make the 0s and 1s for the keys), and the only EASY/NON-EXPENSIVE way to get them is to use your code execution (kernel exploit not needed) to make an IOSU exploit so you have access to the bare metal and then you can write some code to dump it all to a file/display it.

Furthermore, how dafuq is the boot0 key relevant? All it does is decrypt boot1 so it can be read and run. You obviously don't know shit about how public/private key cryptography works. We have no access to the private key to sign stuff, unless nintendo somehow foolishly leaks it, we're never going to be able to sign anything. They are the only ones with it, we have no access to it. It's not on any of the Wii U's being sold, they would be idiots to do that after adding all this security. We'll have to work around/exploit the signing process to be able to run anything.

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at NWPlayer123. By the way, thanks for taking time out to answer my question earlier on, that was really humble, thoughtful & damn right unsophisticated of you! :angry:

TBH I don't know anything about what's going on with the ODE scene. I only know what other people have told me. I don't care enough to be able to want to know, either :P

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TBH I don't know anything about what's going on with the ODE scene. I only know what other people have told me. I don't care enough to be able to want to know, either :P

ODE huh, I don't know if even the ODE developers know lol :P I'd much rather have a soft mod ^_^

Reactions: NWPlayer123

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Well folks, I splurged. Bought a refurbished Wii U plus buy 2 get one free games from target. Gonna return one game and buy the smash bundle later. Anyway, does anyone know what firmware the refurbished system would ship with? Probably going to update anyway, but it would be nice to know.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
Well folks, I splurged. Bought a refurbished Wii U plus buy 2 get one free games from target. Gonna return one game and buy the smash bundle later. Anyway, does anyone know what firmware the refurbished system would ship with? Probably going to update anyway, but it would be nice to know.
How exactly are we supposed to know that?

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did look but it don't say if a fix was found for 5.1.1+ > 5.3

Q: I haven't heard anything in a while, when can we expect to see progress?
A: Everybody who has the ability to work on the kernel exploit or find and exploit a new bug is busy with school, so progress has been slow. Nothing has been cancelled, only that nobody's had any time to work on it. As for when you might hear something, probably sometime in December, since most of us get "Winter Break" to transition between semesters.

mashiro21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
so now that the exploit has been broken, can it be released now since we can't say "we can't release because it can get patched" and stuff?

NWPlayer123

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so now that the exploit has been broken, can it be released now since we can't say "we can't release because it can get patched" and stuff?

You didn't catch the part where "we're still going to finish it regardless"? It doesn't matter if it's broken in the latest version, we may as well finish what we started so we at least have SOMETHING working.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: wait +1