Hardware Wii to Wii U Transfer confirmed

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wiibrew is stupid when it comes to recommendations. It has plenty of facts, but it's biased because they think patches=piracy. In addition, the message used to say never to update but changed as soon as the HBC update was released. They seem to consider the HBC as the only thing that matters.
Given that you know extremely little about how IOS works (and seem to be unable to comprehend that wiibrew is not recommending updating, but rather lists it as an optional step), it would be ignorant to assume your opinion is more valid than those who do. Don't go around preaching it as a fact when all your knowledge comes from second-hand sources.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Wiibrew is stupid when it comes to recommendations. It has plenty of facts, but it's biased because they think patches=piracy. In addition, the message used to say never to update but changed as soon as the HBC update was released. They seem to consider the HBC as the only thing that matters.
Given that you know extremely little about how IOS works (and seem to be unable to comprehend that wiibrew is not recommending updating, but rather lists it as an optional step), it would be ignorant to assume your opinion is more valid than those who do. Don't go around preaching it as a fact when all your knowledge comes from second-hand sources.
I didn't say they recommended it, and I said that it has a lot of good information.

Shano56

noobie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Joostins just biased against updating past 4.1 lol

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo could very well make a multipurpose IOS in order to only maintain Wii backward compatibilty.
in other words a completely different structure, and by this it would mean protecting the system from being easily hackable.

In a way current cIOS is doing this, compatibility for almost ALL games through only ONE cIOS.
Technically making official ios absolete in a way.
That's what I've been suspecting for awhile. They got really close with IOS56, although they didn't have a reason to. The only thing I'm wondering is if it's possible to make an IOS that would work for every single game without problems. I doubt they can (or would) thoroughly test every game made.

Aren't there a few GC games that don't work perfectly with the official MIOS? I don't have many gamecube games, and most that I do have are scratched to the point where they won't play, so I wouldn't know.
Joostins just biased against updating past 4.1 lol
Lol, we're all biased, it's impossible not to be.

Reactions: 2 people

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No, I have to agree with JoostinOnline here. I have been in the "Wii scene" since the beginning and I do recall notices on Wiibrew to never update your Wii because it would break homebrew. But ever since they changed the title ID of the Homebrew Channel to a cryptic one those notices have been removed and replaced with this notice:

WiiBrew recommends that you run the latest version of the HackMii Installer and then optionally update your Wii to 4.3 using Nintendo's official updater.

Only update using the official update procedure. Downgrading or installing patched updates is unsupported, dangerous, and may permanently brick your Wii.

Apart from the fact that the last sentence is rubbish and is only valid for Waninkoko's outdated apps that obviously nobody uses anyway, what if a new System menu gets released that breaks homebrew yet again and people who aren't aware of that are updating their Wiis because they think latest version is 4.3 and they read on Wiibrew that it's save to update using Nintendo's update procedure? For them homebrew would break wherase smart people who don't believe all of the shit that is posted on Wiibrew would still be able to enjoy homebrew.

Reactions: 1 person

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i dont know why it would even matter, just dont transfer anything if youre afraid or something. i mean, youre not going to put your wii away for the wiiu anyway, cause you want to keep your hackgames and homebrew, right?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
And what is to stop Nintendo from actually fixing the Smash Stack method by doing what the 3DS currently does with updated 3DS games, and patch the game on-the-fly when the game binary is loaded? Even if it is a Wii game, the Wii U OS has to handle that section anyways.

3DS games "patches" are not saved to the game cards themselves but the SD card. Samurai warriors C and games like it are a slightly different case. They are ready simple having a code saved to the 3ds and auto-input for you, then erased after words. The items already in the games code. No one in their right mind would apply new data to a non-redownloadable/non-installable game directly. If something went wrong, the game card could be perma missed-up.

FYI, You can downloaded the update for mario kart 7 w/o owning the game. I don't own the game and was able to get the update still. Makes you wonder how the updates exactly work. Do games that support DLC look for an encrypted "over ride folder" made especially that game?

It's the idea I'm bringing forth, not it's actual implementation. It doesn't have to do it exactly how the 3DS does it. I'm just suggesting that they had done on-the-fly patching prior to game execution, and that they could do the same, even by different means, for even Wii games on the WiiU.

For your latter question, the DLC and updates probably have the same identifier data that the actual games contain that not only help distinguish it from other games, but is used to direct where to load extra data specific to the game, like a shortcut instead of the game having to scan your SD card just to find the right stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo