Hardware Wii Mode - Updates you'd like for 2014

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Too bad there's no way to bypass that with HDMI cables, it's kind of annoying and counterproductive to not be able to use off-screen play with HDMI if the TV isn't on. Component is perfectly fine however.

I believe you can go in to system settings and turn off the HDMI connection.....however if you don't remember to change it back the next person has no idea why the wii U is not working.

Its simpler, yet still annoying, to have whoever is watching TV switch the input for a few seconds. With DVR I can pause live TV to do this and don't have to wait for commercial but it's still inconvenient to me and whoever is watching tv.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe you can go in to system settings and turn off the HDMI connection.....however if you don't remember to change it back the next person has no idea why the wii U is not working.

Its simpler, yet still annoying, to have whoever is watching TV switch the input for a few seconds. With DVR I can pause live TV to do this and don't have to wait for commercial but it's still inconvenient to me and whoever is watching tv.

I've switched back to component for that very reason, it's a pain and an unnecessary step to take, and I heard it's more a limitation of HDMI itself more than anything.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've switched back to component for that very reason, it's a pain and an unnecessary step to take, and I heard it's more a limitation of HDMI itself more than anything.

I can't give up the improved visuals in Wii U just for this convenience.

I can't understand how or why HDMI is causing the issue.....can't the Wii U just ignore the HDMI connection when booting to Wii Mode? I think if you turn HDMI off in system settings you can get in to Wii Mode with out changing the TV input.

I generally just use the DVR to make whoever is watching TV chill out for a few seconds so I can get my Off Tv Wii on.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't give up the improved visuals in Wii U just for this convenience.

I can't understand how or why HDMI is causing the issue.....can't the Wii U just ignore the HDMI connection when booting to Wii Mode? I think if you turn HDMI off in system settings you can get in to Wii Mode with out changing the TV input.

I generally just use the DVR to make whoever is watching TV chill out for a few seconds so I can get my Off Tv Wii on.

Component can provide up to 1080p (have it set to that right now), but HDMI does provide better clarity at the same resolution, I don't know why either, it's a weird limitation. At least Wii U finally supports simultaneous HDMI for video and component/RCA for speakers.

chevowner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that's why it works for you I believe. It is only a problem when you have HDMI connected to the TV. The HDMI lets the wii u know if the image is displayed on the televivion or not (have to have proper input selected) and I have no idea why it forces you to put it on the TV to select Wii mode.

It does make me use a TV if I try and change modes from the WII U menu, but holding B on power-up to go directly into WII mode does not.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Component can provide up to 1080p (have it set to that right now), but HDMI does provide better clarity at the same resolution
Maybe it's a setting I've missed, but whilst I can get 1080p in Wii U mode through component, it drops to a miserable composite-esque 480i in vWii mode on the TV itself.... compared to the upscaled 1080p you get in vWii through hdmi, well there's no competition there. Like blaiseinsd says, it's more than worth the very minor hassle. (I play vWii mode on both TV & Gamepad, mostly TV)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe it's a setting I've missed, but whilst I can get 1080p in Wii U mode through component, it drops to a miserable composite-esque 480i in vWii mode on the TV itself.... compared to the upscaled 1080p you get in vWii through hdmi, well there's no competition there. Like blaiseinsd says, it's more than worth the very minor hassle. (I play vWii mode on both TV & Gamepad, mostly TV)

vWii mode is fixed to 480 mode I thought, because the Wii was limited to that, despite being "1080p", it's not that you can really tell a huge difference. If I wanted 1080 Wii games, I'd use Dolphin as that actually scales the internal resolution. The Wii U only scales the resolution to match the TV signal, but is fixed internally at 480p or 480i. I think scaled Wii games on the vWii look worse for me, jaggies and aliasing are more visible. I'd love some side by side screens of vWii with 480 and 1080, because honestly, Wii game will always be low-res unless you use Dolphin. I can't go back after playing them in full HD.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does make me use a TV if I try and change modes from the WII U menu, but holding B on power-up to go directly into WII mode does not.

I will try it again and see if I get the same results with HDMI.

I remeber when off tv play vWii first came out with the quick boot it still made me change the input. Has there been an update since that time?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
vWii mode is fixed to 480 mode I thought, because the Wii was limited to that, despite being "1080p", it's not that you can really tell a huge difference. If I wanted 1080 Wii games, I'd use Dolphin as that actually scales the internal resolution. The Wii U only scales the resolution to match the TV signal, but is fixed internally at 480p or 480i. I think scaled Wii games on the vWii look worse for me, jaggies and aliasing are more visible. I'd love some side by side screens of vWii with 480 and 1080, because honestly, Wii game will always be low-res unless you use Dolphin. I can't go back after playing them in full HD.
There's still some limited upscaling going on though, colour range in particular is much improved, and 2D games certainly benefit greatly as a result: I might have taken the plunge if the component cables offered 480p through TV in vWii, but going back to 480i on a 50" TV?! I think not young padawan.. true we're not talking Dolphin upscaling, but there's no way I'm going back to composite resolution... Switching on the telly for a few seconds is a small price to pay! ;)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's still some limited upscaling going on though, colour range in particular is much improved, and 2D games certainly benefit greatly as a result: I might have taken the plunge if the component cables offered 480p through TV in vWii, but going back to 480i on a 50" TV?! I think not young padawan.. true we're not talking Dolphin upscaling, but there's no way I'm going back to composite resolution... Switching on the telly for a few seconds is a small price to pay! ;)

Did you say composite or component? I sure hope there's no one using a Wii U with composite (RCA) as that's a disservice to an HD console IMHO. Component will do just fine in most cases, HDMI is the best option.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you say composite or component? I sure hope there's no one using a Wii U with composite (RCA) as that's a disservice to an HD console IMHO. Component will do just fine in most cases, HDMI is the best option.

Composite = 3cable (more common)
Component = 5cable (less common)
HDMI = 1cable (less common)

Which is better?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Composite = 3cable (more common)
Component = 5cable (less common)
HDMI = 1cable (less common)

Which is better?

HDMI > Component > S-Video > Composite

Component separates the color into red, green and blue signals (RGB), resulting in better clarity, supports up to 1080p.
Composite/RCA has the red, white and yellow connections, the yellow is the video signal, has the problem known as "crawling dots" and is limited to 480i, if that.
HDMI, high definition multimedia interface, carries both HD video and audio signals, highest quality video for home use, also 1080p, but is far clearer than component.

Most TVs will have either component, HDMI or both. Avoid composite like the plague if you want excellent video quality.

http://www.brighthub.com/electronics/home-theater/articles/44321.aspx

Roberuiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It looks a lot better upscaled, but if you really can't live without pre-HD resolutions you can always go into the settings and change your WiiU's resolution to 480p before launching the Wii mode. Or 480i even, if you're a real masochist.

And people hoping for Gamepad control in anything Wii mode, forget it. They'd have to do some major work to get Wii to recognize the Wifi transmitter in a Gamepad rather than the bluetooth transmitter that Wii remotes use. The odds that they'd put that much effort into things is slim to none, and slim's looking pretty sickly.

I mean, they haven't even given Pro controller compatibility in Wii mode, and that, in theory, could be pretty simple, as it does use bluetooth and Devolution has shown it to be possible.

I think that problem could be solved with a cable that connected the gamepad with a wiimote, letting the wiimote handle the bluetoo..ting, and let the gamepad be read by the wiimote as a classic controller

chevowner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree that classic controller input from the gamepad would be nice.

I will try it again and see if I get the same results with HDMI.

I remeber when off tv play vWii first came out with the quick boot it still made me change the input. Has there been an update since that time?

From what I see there have been 3 small? updates. After searching for what version off TV play was introduced it seems to be version 4.0.0, and (unknown to me lol) my WII U is on 4.1.0U (4.0.0, 4.0.2 4.0.3 4.10).

I finally found one of my HDMI cables, and tryed a few things.
Monitor on, and set to the HDMI input. It worked. Output on both monitor and gamepad.
Monitor on, and set to DVI input. it worked. Output to gampad.
Monitor off. It worked. Output to gamepad.

In order to see if a TV would make a difference I need to find my misplaced HDMI cable that is longer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: there was a "HD" redrawn version of :creep: someone made at one point but i didnt save it